Opinions on Vintera

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by HighlonesomeF5, Aug 22, 2019.

1. HighlonesomeF5

HighlonesomeF5 TDPRI Member

Looking for opinions on the playability, build quality and sound of the Vintera. Is it true the MIM Teles use lesser quality hardware?

Thanks

ben smith likes this.
  2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Great guitars, very well put together. Really nice necks and good pickups. The 50s tele I played was pretty dang close to my AV 52.

3. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

I don't have any of the Vinteras, but I own three MIM Fenders. Two Tele's and a Strat and have owned several others. I also have two AV Teles. My experience has been that the MIM guitars can be quite nice, although you have to go through more of them before finding a really good one. The ones I have now are very good and would satisfy most everyone's needs. I bought all three used. The Teles were as new, without a single blemish and great fretwork.

The MIA guitars I own and have owned are, without question, better made and more pleasurable to play, which they should be given their price. All products, whether guitars or cars are made to a price point. That controls the quality, not the country of origin.

As the quality f the MIM, Chinese, Korean, and Indonesian guitars rises, Fender uses features to distinguish the lines. That is why, in my opinion, larger necks and lacquer finishes are usually only found on MIA guitars. Of course there are exceptions like the Baja/Vintera 50s neck. The Japanese models come the closest to intersecting with the MIA line, but seem to be rarer in the US.

If I were in the market for a new Fender, I would certainly consider the Vintera line if they have the features I desired. Happy hunting.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  4. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I was waiting to hear reports on what a "Thin C" neck felt like, but in the meantime I found a used Classic 72 Thinline, so now I'm good.

I have three MIM guitars, two Strat Deluxe models, and now the Thinline. All of them feel nicer in the hand and play better than many American guitars I've tried. That said, my main players are an Am Std Tele and an Am Std Strat. But the MIMs are excellent guitars.

Omiewise65 likes this.
  5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It's the old Classic Series under a different name, and with jacked up prices.

Fretboard edges are a bit sharp, frets could be dressed better, and you're now paying $1,000 for them. Other than those things, fine axes, in my limited experience with them (but I have lots of experience with the Classic Series, which is the same damned thing, but with slightly different colors and a couple fewer models).

Omiewise65 and TeleTown like this.
  6. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

My Vintera Telecaster may be as good of a quality as my 2003 MIA Telecaster.

7. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

MiMs do use lesser quality materials in some hardware than MiAs, but I’ve always found it serviceable. The only thing I’ve found to replace on mine is the Jazzmaster tremolo. Most stuff looks and feels the same. The tuners are pretty much the same thing and the electronics are about the same. A lot of those parts are Eastern made in both, anyway.

I saw a bunch of Vintera guitars in my local store a few weeks ago and they looked really nice. The fit looked great and there’s something about the finishes that’s capturing more of a vintage vibe, to my eye, as if they’re going thinner or less highly glossed. I couldn’t put my finger on it. Maybe I was imagining it...

8. Sasquatch82

Sasquatch82 NEW MEMBER!

IMO I would highly suggest you check out a Baja Tele before spending $1000 on a Vintera. You feel like the Baja is one of the few remaining hidden jewels that lives up to all the hype you hear about it. It’s seriously a good guitar and I have no idea how Fender got away with selling it for so cheap.

The 50s modifies Vintera is pretty much a Baja with a different name and minus the Custom Shop pickups. You can get a Baja for $500-$700 used. The CS pups are worth 1/3 of that by themselves.

I have owned 2 MIM teles that were garbage (both standards) and one that was decent (72 thinline reissue) but the Baja blows them away and it’s not even close.

Just my 2 cents.

Fuggle likes this.
  9. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

tried two mustangs in tin pan alley london and i didn't like them much at all sorry to be negative. maybe it was the 7.25" radius? but they choked out everywhere to the point of them being unplayable for me.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  10. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I haven't played the Teles much - I've only turned up the 50s Tele with the U-shaped neck which does not work for me. I have played the 60s Strat and the 60s Modified Strat (actually had both of them for a while, but it seems like my hand issues are going to shelve me from playing 25 1/2" scale necks for the foreseeable future so both were returned) and the build quality on both was excellent. The 60s Strat had nice, chimey glassy pickups, the 60s Modified had slighly beefier versions of the same (like comparing the AVRI 57/62 Strat pickups to Texas Specials), and the 60s Modified had one of the nicest Modern C shaped/9.5" radius/medium jumbo fret necks I've played on any MIM - rivaling the feel of USA models.

11. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

I have two MIMs, a 2016 Road Worn 50s Tele and 2018 Classic Player Jazzmaster. They are both fine guitars.

My next guitar will be a Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster, also made in Mexico that retails for $1395. I’ll buy a used one in mint condition.

I wouldn’t hesitate to try the new Vintera models. The quality of the Mexican made guitars is excellent and after getting mine professionally setup, I feel like they are a great value.

dalezjc and Pointmonger like this.
  12. HighlonesomeF5

GC and Reverb list new Bajas. Are these the same as the models you are talking about?

13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes - Fender just discontinued the Baja in July so there are still a few new ones left in stores. If GC shows they are "on order" than they don't have any left; it's just their system generating the "available date". The Baja was part of the Classic Player series; that was replaced by the Vintera Modified models.

The Bajas were the same price as the Classic models - $825 MAP. For a while the Classic Players were $100 more than the Classics, but a few years ago Fender either rolled back the Classic Player MAP to be the same as the "regular" Classic models, or they increased the "regular" Classic models to the same price as the Classic Player models. When the Vinteras came out the "regular" Vinteras took a $75 price increase over the Classic series model they replaced, but the Vintera Modified took a $175 price increase (making the Vintera Modified $100 more than the "regular" Vintera for most models). Plus they added a $50 ash body upcharge so the Vintera 50s Modified Tele - the replacement for the Baja 50s Tele - is now $225 more than the Baja was.

14. Spexicola

Spexicola TDPRI Member

Agree on find a Baja while you can. I just picked one up new at Sam Ash for $649. There was a small crack in the finish at the neck pocket from where they cleaned it out. I pulled the ol' "Got another one that's not messed up in the back" routine and they dropped the price on the spot. As mentioned above, it's the same as the Modified Vintera, just cheaper and with a cooler neck plate (has some Custom Shop mojo on it). The neck on it is just sublime. Perfect profile with the modern radius. Great set of pickups and the good switching options. It's an outstanding product. Especially for $649!

15. HighlonesomeF5

The neck on this baja is a soft V. Its online, not at local GC.

16. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I own two from Indonesia, my Squier Standard Telecaster in Candy Apple Red and my PRS SE 245 Tobacco Sunburst with Zebras, and they seem to be the ones I reach for. Everything I've ever played from Indonesia I've wanted and that goes all the way back to when they were doing Fat Stratocasters.

Honestly 9.5" and medium jumbo is the way. I've seen the light.

...BTW, I'll give a two thumbs WAY UP HIGH for Guardian's CG-056 Café Case...a much better mousetrap
    than any of the poodle cases especially the early 50's and their assorted retro/reissues with all the balance issues with handle placement. I bought two - one for the Squier and one for the PRS SE....nice.

17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I bought one and like it just fine. I have no sharp fret ends, the frets are polished and smooth. I haven't found anything wrong with it at all. but i'm not the telecaster expert that many here are. I just grab it and wring it's neck and it does what I want it to do.

18. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

So to day I popped into a shop and had a little unplugged sit down with a Vintera 50s Mod in Seafoam Green. Salesman took it from the wall and handed it to me and i almost dropped it. Yes, that heavy like just about every Baja I've ever picked up and like the one I used to own. At least 8 and probably 8.5+lbs. Not a problem for some, but noticeably heavier than mine, which range for 6.2-7.6 lbs.

Fret ends were OK, but could be filed down a bit. It's humid here now so when winter comes it may shrink a tad. The neck itself felt fine with it's satin finish. The color is dark, but not orange. I liked it, but perhaps too dark for such a shinny new body. It played OK, but the strings were a touch high, which is no biggie.

The biggest disappointment for me was the body color. I've been waiting for a Seafoam Green Tele for quite a while. The color is not what I describe as Seafoam. It's more akin to a slightly darker Surf Green, with less blue than Seafoam.

With a little TLC, the guitar should play just fine. The price on the wall was $999. Two up from it was an American Special in Sherwood Green with a nice dark Rosewood board, also priced at $999. The shop owner said he'd knock a hundred off without me even asking. Feature sets aside, a better deal.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I picked up a Vintera 50s Tele and the neck was too big for me and I didn’t like the profile at all.

20. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

I have the 60s Tele Modified in Lake Placid Blue. I first ordered the 50s in Daphne Blue but decided to return it. Two many flaws on finish, even a crack near the control plate. The 60s, I currently have, is very nice though . Really good pickups (not as hotter as advertise but surprisingly good sounding). I like the vibe of the Vintera series. It's the real thing at 999$. The blue color is very nice with the Pau Ferro and the mint pickguard. After I will have perform a good setup... It will be for sure a keeper. My advice, if possible, go to your local store and inspect it. If you like what you see and hear... buy it. For me... it sound like Fender rushed out those guitars to supply mondial demand and the QC had suffer. Anyway, I do not regret my purchase. A great guitar.

IMG_4567.JPG

rob2, Clifton C and Omiewise65 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.