Opinions on Vibramate Spoiler

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I've been playing Bigsby-equipped guitars almost exclusively since 1980 and got used to stringing them long, long ago. I have no issues with an unmodified Bigsby.

I think the Spoiler looks awful and is aptly named; it spoils the guitar's looks. The Butchie Bar, not so much. I agree that it looks cool.

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
IMO, once you get your nut in order, tuning stability (returning to pitch) is usually due to bridge selection and friction on the B50 roller bar - that you likely have eliminated with the bearings. The only thing to watch out for is too high of a bridge. I prefer the Fender Jag/Jazz rocker because of its low profile. To decrease break angle, I also eliminate the roller bar and just use the axle.
The Schecter roller Bridge is pretty nice, I just need to figure out what I'm going to lube the rollers with since I have it off.. maybe some Teflon Dri-Lube I use for places I don't want to attract dust.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
That would work. I use Tri-Flo which doesn't seem to attract much filth either. But typically, I don't feel lubrication does a great deal - perhaps minimizing wear rather than helping with tuning stability - as there is so little movement of the rollers.

For me, I prefer the feel of a B3 over a B5. The roller typically adds too much break angle. So you pick up friction from the roller bar and friction on the saddles. A B3 and other roller-free units are a joy to use - especially when fitted with a squishy spring. So I try to make as straight of a string path as I can by minimizing the break angle at the saddles and the deflection of the roller bar. This is why I usually remove the roller and just use the axle on a B50.

On my most recent installation of a Chigsby, I went with a fairly low-profile roller bridge and it was just high enough that I could use a BiggsFix that I bought years ago that didn't work with my Fender rocker bridges (not enough break angle). But I did have to use a very thin neck shim to use this particular roller bridge. I just don't care for the added mass and look of the BiggsFix.

Attachments

• 20211214_124202.jpg
    20211214_124202.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211214_125732.jpg
    20211214_125732.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211214_125742.jpg
    20211214_125742.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211214_130106.jpg
    20211214_130106.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 15

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
That would work. I use Tri-Flo which doesn't seem to attract much filth either. But typically, I don't feel lubrication does a great deal - perhaps minimizing wear rather than helping with tuning stability - as there is so little movement of the rollers.

For me, I prefer the feel of a B3 over a B5. The roller typically adds too much break angle. So you pick up friction from the roller bar and friction on the saddles. A B3 and other roller-free units are a joy to use - especially when fitted with a squishy spring. So I try to make as straight of a string path as I can by minimizing the break angle at the saddles and the deflection of the roller bar. This is why I usually remove the roller and just use the axle on a B50.

On my most recent installation of a Chigsby, I went with a fairly low-profile roller bridge and it was just high enough that I could use a BiggsFix that I bought years ago that didn't work with my Fender rocker bridges (not enough break angle). But I did have to use a very thin neck shim to use this particular roller bridge. I just don't care for the added mass and look of the BiggsFix.
One nice thing about the guitar is that Schecter has the neck angled back and the roller bridge really low. I know " TOM bridge, yuck, not not real Tele."

🤣

20220126_101948.jpg
20220126_102010.jpg

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
One nice thing about the guitar is that Schecter has the neck angled back and the roller bridge really low. I know " TOM bridge, yuck, not not real Tele."

🤣

View attachment 944688 View attachment 944689
Jeezus! You ain't kidding! You are gonna have quite a nasty break angle there. You may want to consider a BriggsFix unless you want to dump the shim and get a lower bridge.

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
Jeezus! You ain't kidding! You are gonna have quite a nasty break angle there. You may want to consider a BriggsFix unless you want to dump the shim and get a lower bridge.
It has the BiggsFix bearing tension roller and it works just great with roller bridge. Break angle really matter as much when everything is on wheels ;)

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
It has the BiggsFix bearing tension roller and it works just great with roller bridge. Break angle really matter as much when everything is on wheels ;)
I have found that it does matter to me, but your results on a different guitar setup may differ. Mostly for smoothness and subtlety. But the squishy spring is definitely magic!

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
Well hmph. Metric Butchie Bar's holes didn't align with the Licensed B50 as was indicated on the Butchie Bar website. Waiting on a reply from them to see if maybe they have an alternate solution. I guess this will be a review on Butchie Bar's customer service. The product was nicely packaged and nicely machined. Chrome plating was excellent. Just didn't fit ☹️.

Attachments

• IMG_20220131_152132111_1.jpg
    IMG_20220131_152132111_1.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 12

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Well hmph. Metric Butchie Bar's holes didn't align with the Licensed B50 as was indicated on the Butchie Bar website. Waiting on a reply from them to see if maybe they have an alternate solution. I guess this will be a review on Butchie Bar's customer service. The product was nicely packaged and nicely machined. Chrome plating was excellent. Just didn't fit ☹️.
Hopefully they'll send one that fits!

Vermoulian

Tele-Meister
I think the Spoiler was genius, love mine. The appearance has never bothered me. The Butchie Bar appears less obtrusive, but this is the first I've heard of it; I don't think it was available years ago when I got the Vibramate.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I just pre-wrap the ball ends of all six strings around a pencil and attach from the middle, out.
No spoiler or butchie for me.
If I was gonna mod, I'd find a cheaper alternative to Callaham's grooved roller.
Peace - Deeve

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
I think the Spoiler was genius, love mine. The appearance has never bothered me. The Butchie Bar appears less obtrusive, but this is the first I've heard of it; I don't think it was available years ago when I got the Vibramate.
I totally understand why touring professionals would prefer the Spoiler too. On one of the recent PG Rig Rundowns the dude had Bigsby's on prob half his stable. Makes sense for quick changes in that setting. Since I'm a professional noodler...;)

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
Received the replacement and apparently the B50 Schecter uses has B5 specs for spacing of the pins. It would be something I would thing the manufacturer might want to mention on his site. Quite a few Schecters out there with same trem., many semi hollow and others. Kind of PITA to go thru returning the original if there known fitment issues that could have been listed. Anyhow, the company sent out a replacement that is as nicely finished as the other one and that the pins line up on. Will have to wait for next string change install now. I do appreciate dealing with a small company that manufactures here in the US and takes the time to add some personality to their receipts.

IMG_20220208_073349784.jpg