Opinions on these amps

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by gtram, May 3, 2014.

1. gtram

gtram Tele-Meister

I want to buy a tube amp, been playing out of a mustang III and like the amp, but want to play through a tube amp as well. I'm considering either a Princeton Reverb, a 65 Deluxe Reverb or a Supersonic 22.

I want something I can use at my house that is great for cleans but breaks up at fairly low volumes so I don't shake the walls. Are all three of these amps too much for home use?

I want reverb, vibrato (is speed the same thing), and maybe 2-channel? Not necessarily all features but which of the three, or any other amps would you guys recommend?

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All three are too loud to break up the power amp in the home. Of the three the only one with a second gain channel is the Supersonic 22. Short of getting an attenuator in addition to an amp, it is the only one that will give you some overdrive by itself with its gain channel, but it will be preamp distortion not power amp distortion. If you care about that... that amp doesn't have vibrato though. Either the DR or the PR will sound great clean, and with the right overdrive pedal in front of them will sound great distorted. Or attenuate the output of the amp before it hits the speakers, or both attenuator and an overdrive pedal. All three of them should give good clean sounds and good reverb sounds. imo.

3. gtram

gtram Tele-Meister

I was leaning to the PR due to it being 15 watts compared to the two others, but Im not sure 15 watts of tube power is too much or not also. I could go with something like a 5W Blackstar but I don't want to give up that Fender tone.

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you're really going to crank an amp, even 5W is too much. Maybe not if you have a basement studio in your own separate house. I can't crank my 5W amp in my apartment.

imo

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

You might be set on a Fender, but you just described a Vox AC15C1 perfectly.

6. gtram

gtram Tele-Meister

No, I don't really crank it all that much. I can see my best bet is using pedals if I want crunch. Might go with the Princeton. I think the deluxe might be overkill for what I need since its a couple of hundred more also.

7. gtram

gtram Tele-Meister

I didn't even think about that, I will see what I can find on youtube for vidoes.

8. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

The Deluxe Reverb is the most versatile....add a pedal for overdrive.
    At home and low volumes a modeler is king.
    Any where else a good tube amp rules.... crank it and enjoy real tone!

9. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Just my 2 cents

one thing to think about is the circuit design (what's inside the amp)...ime for

more headroom cleans, pp6v6

sweet cleans at low volume, se6v6

for low volume break-up, se6v6

btw the cleans of a se6v6 verses a pp6v6 are different

And speaker efficiency and size is a big factor for volume

And you can do things for volume...like put a volume pedal in the fx loop as an alternative to using an attunator.

Or use 2 seperate cabs/speakers to give you a precieved depth of field volume without the loudness.

My basement noodling rig is pedals > vol pedal > pp6v6 > 2 seperate cabs (ceramic 8" and alnico 12" lo effiecney spkrs). It can rattle the whole house or great bedroom tv level.

10. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Plenty of threads on the forum about the Princeton Reverb. Its sound is superb. Agree that even a 5w tube amp can't be cranked at home unless you live by yourself on a farm. :D

The Deluxe Reverb is a great amp, but IMHO has a different tonality because of its different circuit design. Princetons are part of the sequence that continues with the Pro, Twin, Super, etc. The best clean tone ever. So much so that a lot of OD guys find themselves migrating to a cleaner tone. It's that good.

Hard to go wrong with a Princeton, but as said above, you will need a OD pedal or attenuator.

11. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

I have played all 4 including the Vox. Here is a breakdown for each:

Princeton: Great clean platform. You really won't be able to push it to overdrive like you could a 5e3, for example.

DRRI: Fair amount of clean headroom with scooped mids. At 20W, it will need to be cranked to at least 5 or 6 to get some breakup.

Supersonic 22: A lot more features & tones in this than the others. It can be set up to break up earlier, especially with humbuckers. I really like this one with Filtertrons, but not as much with PAF-style humbuckers.

Vox AC15: Much more midrange, typical Vox chime, than the others. It is more flexible than the DRRI & Princeton regarding when you can get some break-up. (my favorite amp of them all). Also, if your budget allows, consider the handwired AC15 for a bit better quality.

All of these will be fairly loud for home-only playing. The other question to ask yourself if about quality. With exception of the Supersonic, all of these have boutique versions that are built much better, but also have the prices to go along with it.

12. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

Of the amps you are comparing I like all 3 but for home use would go with the princeton and an overdrive pedal like an ocd. Drri is a great amp and still sounds good at low volume but overkill. The SS is versatile and the clean side is like the dr, but overkill for home use. Have you played a champ? You can also get a less efficient speaker to lower volume. A princeton with a less efficient speaker is not much louder than a 5 watt amp. Just a thought, good luck.

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Two best home setups with current production amps I've had pleasure of playing on ...

Traynor Dark Horse head, has 2 power sections, a 2w 12ua7 and a 15w 6v6, Brit/pure/American voice switch, 2w is plenty tube amp for home playing. Will need pedals for effects.

Even a 1/2w Fender Greta into a 1x10 is plenty loud at home.

Other is 2 Laney Cub 10 in stereo, run clean low volume. Put some pedals out front for OD and stereo delays, sounds huge.

You can get a Deluxe, Princeton but for home volume you won't ever push power tubes into OD bliss, just run it clean and use OD pedals. Which is what a lot of people do, when they play out and can crank it to sweet spot, no pedal really needed then.

5w tube is really loud, you can pick up old vintage champs/Vibro champs for $300-400 easy.

14. theGecko71

theGecko71 Tele-Holic

Old Fender Champ. +1 or a Vox AC4. I turn my AC4 up until it overdrives and it shakes the walls. Used to have a 30 watt Ampeg that I could never turn up at home without causing hearing damage and killing small animals.

15. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

You've all ready got a great amp (Mustang III) for playing in the home. I just went through the same thing with my amp situation. I have a MIII but wanted to play through valves and witness that great valve breakup tone that everyone talks about. I ended up getting a VHT Special 6 Combo and playing it on the low 3 watt setting and it's still very loud, so I''m using a JOYO Ultimate Drive and it sounds great. Bottom line is, you're not going to find a valve amp that you can really crank unless you have some really understanding neighbors!

16. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

For keeping the volume lower a master volume is a really great feature. That said, IMO the PR and DR just have a much, much better sound than the SS22. I have tried the SS22 and wanted to like it, but it just sounds buzzy to me. Maybe I'm twiddling the knobs wrong, but I can usually get nice sounds out of any amp and I have been frustrated by the SS22 every time I've tried one.

+1 on looking at some of the Vox models especially any with a master volume.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.