Opinions on the Fender Sonoran SCE

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Fendereedo, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Thinking of investing in a Fender Sonoran SCE. I haven't played one yet, but plan to soon. Any of you guys out there have one, and what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

They look cool enough.
    I like the Surf Green but, I have yet to play one.

I doubt they will have Martin or Taylor shaking in their boots but, if they play good and stay in tune, go for it.

3. KMBkelly

KMBkelly TDPRI Member

They are decent guitars, especially for the price. Neck was great!! I went to buy one But I ended up buying a Fender jumbo instead.... reason why? Because the built in tuner on the Sonoran was off just enough to make me crazy. That's the only reason. I bought it to do my solo/acoustic shows and didn't want to have to bring my pedal board or a clip on tuner and have everyone hear me tune. Great guitar though plugged in or unplugged.

4. Fendereedo

Thanks guys, I'm trying one this Saturday, let you know how I get on. Just really like the aesthetic appeal at the moment, the proof will be in the playing I guess. Thanks again.

5. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

I've had one for two days and I love it. My main acoustic is a Martin HD-28. The Sonoran is not a Martin but it is still a very good guitar. I wanted a lower cost guitar that I could take to the beach and also wanted something with a pickup so I could use it onstage.

I've had a back-of-the-mind craving for a Sonoran for a few years, ever since I first tried one in a music store. I freely admit that I think the Fender-like neck and stratty headstock look as cool as hell on an acoustic guitar.

I've checked out a few over the years. Some good, some not as good. I finally decided that I needed one about a month ago. I wanted one in natural, but couldn't find one in local stores. I ended up ordering one though GC, something I'd never done before. I've always insisted on playing a guitar before I buy it.

The guitar finally came and it was better than expected. The neck feels great and I think the one I got sounds better than all the others I've tried. Sometimes things just work out. The action could probably be improved a bit, but it is still very nice. Very happy with the guitar and workmanship. The plugged-in sound, through my PRRI, is also very nice.

6. Fendereedo

Still haven't played one yet. Time hasn't been on my side lately, that and a few bills needed paying. So it's on my list of to dos.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Fender Malibu (parlor size Sonoran style) that I use mostly for quiet practice, but never found a Sonoran that I liked. I suppose if you played enough of them ... maybe there is one, but to me, even though they "look" like they are full of mojo, unplugged, they play thin and too boxy for me. There are so many better options in the price range.

8. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I had one that I sold to a friend a couple years ago. I bought it new and it seemed a little tight, I guess I would say. The sound was ok, but it didn't project very well. It didn't seem to vibrate much at all. Anyway, I visited my buddy last year and now I wish I had kept it. The guitar had opened up and was sounding really good. I think if I was shopping for one now I would go for a nice used one. Let someone else break it in for me and get it cheaper to boot!

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Very interesting. "Tight" is a good description of them. I dig the vibe of my Malibu and that is why I keep trying Sonorans. Did not think that they would age so well. Good to know. I'm glad the Op started this thread.

10. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

I have one and am happy with it. It's a black one and it is one of the older ones with the different bridge. I got it in 2011 iirc.

[​IMG]

(That's an old photo from the day I got it. Sticker is long gone.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.