Opinions on the Fender PR141 Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dscottyg, Jun 19, 2021.

1. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

EDD8F401-719F-4456-8F92-DEBF03C36A62.jpeg 9DD5C9A9-CE93-40AB-84A7-567B3097F19A.jpeg For those who are familiar or have heard stuff about this amp what do you think of it for playing in the house or maybe small restaurant, coffee shop, art gallery, etc. Strats, Teles, and a Les Paul, playing blues, classic rock, indie, and jazz. image.jpg Whataya think?

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Not sure I’ve even seen one before. What’s the story / history?

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I barely remember these; they were an early FMIC-era solid state amp from the late1980s-early 1990s time frame. I thought they were designed to be a home/practice kind of amp.

EDIT: I just found the owners manual in the archives on the Fender website - which refreshed my memory that this one was voiced for late 80s/early 90s hard rock and metal - so I would suspect you get either clean or hair band sounds from it:

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/OM_leg_gtramp_Hot.pdf

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    dscottyg likes this.
  4. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

HOT and RAD were in production in 1990. I remember because that's the time I got back into music following my divorce. I didn't buy either, instead got a red knob Deluxe 85 which got me through the first year of re-learning how to play after 25 years away. A friend did buy a HOT and if you pushed the switch in on the front panel, you got loud ear-piercing feedback unless you turned the pots down first. In other words big gain and sensitive control. I wouldn't want to own one.
    Finally, and because I'm back to being a bass player, I saw a RAD or HOT bass model from the same era advertised on the local buy & sell on-line board. I researched it and a person who owned one for a long time said it was actually a great amp with a 10" speaker and closed back cabinet.

5. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

If you already have a preamp pedal you like, you could plug it directly into the "power amp in" jack. This will bypass all the switches and knobs on the amp, for better or worse. Including the volume knob, the only volume control will be the ones on your instrument and the preamp pedal (e.g. Tech21 series, Joyo versions of same).

I have a Fender M-80 from this same era of SS amps, it's got a useable clean sound and a horrible "drive" sound.

Is that an 8" or 10" speaker?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    PhredE likes this.
  6. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Reminds me of my days in the school big band in the early 70s. The guitarist bought a second hand Bird amp. His favourite setting was labeled ‘Wild Dog’. Hideous noise somewhere between an upset magpie and an accordion played in a metal dustbin.

39martind18 likes this.
  7. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Yes, as WL Weller mentions, the speaker almost certain needs some scrutiny. I've had a couple Fender SS amps (slightly newer than the one in OP) but it seems Fender like to cut corners and put the least speaker in many of those SS combo amps that they could get away with. With a good speaker, they can actually sound quite a bit better.

The manual doesn't specify diameter, just that it is 8 ohms. A simple measure will settle that in a hurry.
    It *could* be, that running a preamp (the ubiquitous Joyo American Sound?) into the FX return as WL Weller suggests and swapping out the speaker for a quality counterpart *might* actually sound good enough to make it a usable amp (mostly for clean type sounds..).

dscottyg likes this.
  8. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

This one is open in back.

9. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

10 inch. Thanks for the tip. I’ll have to look up “preamp pedal.” I’m not familiar with that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.