1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Opinions on the 8 inch Weber Signature Ceramic speakers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TeleAndSG, Dec 16, 2019.

1. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Hello.

I have a 5-watt 6V6/12AX7 amp. It sounds very nice, but the stock Celestion Super 8 seems to be lacking in low end.

I´ve read that Weber Speakers are the best way to go for Champ-style amps, and I´d like a fuller sound from my amp (not necessarily louder. The stock speaker has a SPL of 93db).

What are the main differences between the Signature 8 and the Signature 8S, besides the former being warmer and grittier?.

Thank you for your comments.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Find a used Weber 8F150, make that amp sound a lot bigger.
    The Sig line has never done it for me, 10 or 12. Never tried an 8 though.
    The other nice speaker is the Emi 820h, a bit on the warmish side compared with stock, but big and full.

3. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If you have the Joyo Sweet Baby you may find the selection of speakers that fit in the cab is limited. The Weber Sigs will.

Be aware, a 5 watt amp with small transformers won't push out a lot of bass. You can run it into a better speaker for 'more', but it's never going to sound 'big'.

My friend has that amp and in character it's very like a real Tweed Vibrochamp I owned. The Celestion actually breaks in not bad.

I had the Weber alnico 8s in the Vibro - s means straight cone, it's a sqwawky little bugger suited to the Tweed. I had a ceramic ribbed Weber Sig in a Silverface Vibrochamp. It's a tad smoother with just a little more output.

The Weber Sigs are a great value and good tone match for Champ types.

Weber Speakers and TeleAndSG like this.
  5. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Weber Sig caveat:

I've been building my own 5F1 cabinets 1/2" deeper with a custom speaker location. Been building them that way for so long I almost forgot why. Just about anything fits.

Weber changed the Sig line. The alnico Sig used to have a slug magnet with a shallower cadmium plated basket. Those fit original 5F1 cabinets just fine. Imagine my surprise when I found that the current version with the vintage Jensen "hot dog" style basket and the horseshoe magnet hits my 6V6 tube.

I guess Ted Junior sold the last of the slug magnet Sigs to Fender to use in their '57 Customs.

SnidelyWhiplash and TeleAndSG like this.
  6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Fair enough. Mine was the FSR speaker in the EC Vibro with the loop around the slug - it was a tight fit and only fitted oriented one way.

The Joyo might be OK because the cab is taller and the chassis pretty compact.

TeleAndSG likes this.
  7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Definitely punches above it's weight.

TeleAndSG likes this.
  8. brucerbc

brucerbc TDPRI Member

I don't have enough experience (nor am I enough of a player) to knowledgeably compare speaker tones, but I've found Weber's suggestions on point enough to have liked all of the 4-5 speakers I've tried.

FYI - I'm in the middle of converting my 3-4 yr old Weber Maggie combo amp build from a 1x8/1x10 baffle to a 1x12 baffle, so have an 8F125T (8 ohms, 20 watts) available for sale used. Haven't gotten around to listing it yet, but pm me if you're interested and I'll get a move on?

TeleAndSG likes this.
  9. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Thaks. Let me think about it. Because I´d like a warm sounding speaker.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

I've tried a number of the 8" Sigs. The smooth-cone versions seem to get more love--that's what Fender uses in the 57 Champ and the EC VC. The ribbed-cone is a bit edgy in my experience. Also, Swart uses the ceramic version of the smooth-cone Sig in their single-ended amps. FWIW, the smooth-cone ceramic has worked well in my SF Vibro-Champ, and the alnico smooth-cone is fine in my Tungsten Mosaic.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I tried a few and ended up with a Jensen in my Champ.
    Just sounded more right.
    imho

TeleAndSG likes this.
  12. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not sure if you're dead set on an 8" like the original Champs. If you're open to a 10" or 12" another option might be the Emminance GA-SC-64. I have a 5 watt Champ clone (Gries 5) that's got the 12" GA SC 64 in it. Lots of people, including me, find it to have a nice full, tight low end, great mid and non-ice picky top end.

TeleAndSG likes this.
  13. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I just rehoused my Joyo 5F1. I like the stock Celestion
    IMG_20190925_175508.jpg
    IMG_20190925_175535.jpg
    IMG_20190924_104707.jpg

Greggorios likes this.
  14. Weber Speakers

Weber Speakers TDPRI Member Vendor Member

No, didn't sell them all to Fender... we just prefer the look/style of the Horseshoe magnet, our shallow basket should offset that fit issue in 'most' small amps/cabs. Thnx ! TA Weber (Ted Junior)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.