1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Opinions on MOD'ing out a CS Tele, Come one, Come all.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CarmineDaMedici, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

This is totally subjective.

"Better" hardware doesn't necessarily sound better, or even work better in all cases. I'm sure several people here have done "upgrades" to supposedly better parts only to find that they actually lost something in the process.

After being at this business for a number of years, I find that when a guitar works really well, I just leave it alone and allow it to be great.

If I find a guitar that doesn't work particularly well, I just don't buy it.

High quality aftermarket parts are great for people building or assembling custom guitars. Here too though, the outcome is still unknown and intangible until all the parts are assembled and the guitar makes it's first utterance. Until that happens, it's all just an educated guess.

I have scratch-built guitars that I've invested months of work and built with the finest parts and materials and inspite of my efforts, some of them just sound OK. Nothing special.

For these reasons, I've become a big fan of acceptance. I just try to listen for great guitars when I go shopping and tend to not care much about modding or spec sheets. There are so many excellent guitars available now that finding the one of dreams is often just a matter of stopping at enough music stores.

I love gear shopping so, this isn't a problem for me!

2. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

the control plate, pots, jack and switch in a fender CS tele are the best you're gonna find: switchcraft, CTS, etc. there's no reason to mod these, asyou'll be moving laterally at best.

if you don't like the pickups, switch 'em out. you'll not find better, but you'll find different.

as for the bridge plate, fender's plate's are not made from unobtainium, and that is why they sound the way they do. for iconic tele tones, you don't want ferrari bridge plates, because none of the great recordings have them. those "cruddy" plates have been used since 1950 w/ only insignificant change.

just swap those pups and be done with it. put the saved cash toward the best amp you can afford; that's where it really happens.

3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not so sure of your Ducati analogy. Last time I checked, playing guitar wasn't a race.

I've also never heard of the expression "pot steel". "Pot metal" yes, but that typically means cheap and unstable castings made from low temperature metals like zinc, lead, copper, tin, etc. I don't believe Fender uses anything like this and any sonic differences between CS parts and boutique parts almost certainly won't determine which is "better". Also, as has been pointed out, Fender electronics and pickups are as good as anything else out there. You can get "other" pickups - Fralins, Lollars, Bardens, Don Mares, etc - which again will be different, but not necessarily better.

I'm not trying to defend Fender's CS shop here, and I have many modded guitars myself, but I just think that you're setting yourself off on a fool's errand (an expression , no disrespect intended) if you think you'll end up with a great instrument just by swapping everything you can out of a CS guitar.

4. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

can we see it?

5. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's

Edit: Nevermind! :D

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  6. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

Carmine,
    I feel for you there buddy! It's YOUR guitar, it IS YOUR money, and it's going to be you who'll be earning a living with it...you should be free to do WTH you want with it!!
    Good luck with your decision!
    Francis

7. Cajun1

Cajun1 Tele-Holic

Bill Lawrence Voodoo P'ups. I don't care if the guitar is a CS or not, If you like it and want to Mod it, go for it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.