Opinions on Fralin Blues Specials for Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by tommc, Jun 30, 2020.

1. tommc

tommc TDPRI Member

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you have used these pickups. Especially, what did you have before and how are the Fralins different? What type of music do you play with them?

Thanks.

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've never had them. But, a friend of mine that's played with Gary Morris and Colin Raye, swears by them.

Both artists play a diverse amount of material in a live situation.

I know he had Bill Lawrence and stock Fender pickups before that.

3. acmotors

acmotors TDPRI Member

I own a set of Fralin Blues Special Telecaster pickups.
    It has been about a year and a half since I purchased them and have no regrets.

I installed them in an American Special Tele that came with Fender Texas Specials.
    The Texas Specials are good pickups but they always sounded a little too hot (10.37k in the bridge and 9.0k in the neck) for the blues and country music I play so I made the switch. 7.37k in the bridge and 8.09k in the neck, they sound great.

4. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Interestingly enough, I've been thinking about buying this set as well so I've been doing research but lack personal experience with them. People seem to rave about the in-between position with this set. I was thinking about the open-top or no cover version and getting the mod for the four-way switching.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.