opinions on fender tweed 57 champ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by adjason, Sep 25, 2019.

1. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Recent CL score of a Muchxs 57 champ with an old Jensen alnico 6x9...absolutely love it...best champ I've ever played; not boxy nor flubby; surprisingly loud, clear and warm and sooo responsive to the git and its knobs. No tone knob needed.

Would also love to have a 54 octal Deluxe which to my ears is a different beast.

2. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

The tweed Champ was made from 1956 to 1964, pretty much unchanged as the 5F1 circuit; there's nothing special about a '57.

I played one with a Strat, backing a singer-songwriter with an acoustic, and I loved the tone.

3. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Have a modeller and I never stay on the 57 Tweed champ very long. Unless you are a collector you will likely not care for the thin raspy sound for very long.

4. WYfish

WYfish Tele-Meister

I bought a new 57 champ a few months ago. I LOVE it. I had a SF vibro champ and like the tone of the 57 a lot more. Also built a 5f1 clone a few years back and while it was nice, I always wanted the fender tweed version. I feel like by the time you buy the kit, cab and speaker (or materials to build a tweed cab), you're not too far off money-wise from the genuine article. I got mine from MF for around $825 (i just asked for their best price). I usually play it at 4 with my tele and strat because of close proximity to neighbors. Cranked louder its even better. Takes my pedals real well too.

RYAN1987M and NewKid like this.
  5. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

You run that as a small gig rig or small practice room rig?
    I've got both amps and now I'm tempted to try that as a gig rig but most of the time my tweed deluxe is too much power as it is. Not sure if a champ would add any actual volume though. No shortage of mids in that situation!

6. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Hey Gobi-I have done either- but mainly for band practice and jams. The champ doesnt add volume really- but it is way into overdrive so it a lead thing or a thickener when used with the 5E3-although I usually us one or the other not both on at once. Using them with an ABY for me lets me enjoy what I like best about each amp.

7. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Looked at and played one alongside the PRRI, the tweed one with the 12" Cannibis Rex, and it seemed like for the same money I could have spring reverb and trem, and be able to play it out, why was it even a question? Yeah, sure, hand wired has some old school allure, but let's not fool our selves, there's no real magic there, just a bored employee with a soldering iron thinking about the weekend, same as all the other assembly line employees, (Who do a great job on those Princetons by the way).

8. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

the 57 champ and the reissue princton reverb are as similar in sound as a les paul and a tele. I keep the princton in the LR and there is nothing that sounds like it clean with a touch of verb-magic sound. But it doesnt sound anything like a tweed champ on 12, which is also magical! If one had to choose a single amp, the princeton would be a fine and likely better choice as it is flexible.

RYAN1987M likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.