opinions on fender tweed 57 champ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by adjason, Sep 25, 2019.

1. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey I am considering buying a used reissue 57 fender champ. I have owned a couple of blackface champs but sold them due to just liking the tone of bigger fender amps better. Having said this, I love the tweed type sound I get with a tweed deluxe love pedal. Really I'd much prefer a tweed deluxe but wanted to get some opinions- I have never play through a tweed champ (and yes I know they are overpriced over the kits etc that are out there)

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Play one first and think of your uses
    For it

Wish you well

ce24, Skydog1010 and Telekarster like this.
  3. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

The 5F1 Champ is an amazing amp, but regardless, your sentence, “Really I’d much prefer a tweed deluxe . . .” means it’s probably not the best amp for you.

Skydog1010, scelestus and Nickfl like this.
  4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I’ve never played a Fender tweed champ ’57 and honestly I don’t think I would spend that kind of money for a tweed champ when you can have great kits or clones for less.

That said, I really love tweed champs ;)

Oh: you have to learn to use your volume and tone knobs to really make the best of those little critters.

ce24 likes this.
  5. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

You really need to play it to decide. They are kind of idiosyncratic little amps and people either love them or they don't. I think the lack of a tone control is a huge problem the interaction of the tone and volume controls is a huge part of the tweed amp sound IMO. I almost never play my 5f1 clone but I have a couple of amps based on tweed princeton circuits (basically a champ with a tone control" that I love.

All that said, if you want a 5e3 sound, you need a 5e3. Forget the champ and get a 5e3 clone or kit build (you should be able to land a competently built 5e3 kit for the price of the champ RI or less).

6. TomK

TomK Tele-Holic

Get the Deluxe. I’ve owned a few of each (and still play my RI 57 regularly) but the Deluxe works well at low volume or high volume (though with different tonal results) while a 5F1 might sound too small and boring at low volume.

scelestus likes this.
  7. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

My problem with BF/SF Champs is that they sound small and boxy, and I think this would be my problem with a tweed Champ. Maybe it would be your problem with it too.

8. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I wanted a 57 Custom Champ for a long time until I finally saw one in person. It was so small that it looked like a toy and was an immediate turn-off for me. That and it’s $1000 price tag. For half that I might have felt differently.

I settled for a used Pro Junior IV in mint condition for $300.

After I bought the Pro Junior I tried a 70s Silverface Champ for around $400. That had a great sound and vibe but I like my Pro Junior more.

I would also much prefer the Tweed Deluxe as well and that is definitely on my wish list but this Pro Junior is pretty cool.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    scelestus likes this.
  9. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Champs are all honk with a smaller box and speaker than other tweeds, but in front of a mic can be just right. They're great but different from Deluxes so if you want a 5E3 then wait it out. They're different enough to justify owning both, which means I don't think you'd be happy substituting one with the other.

NewKid likes this.
  10. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I picked up a Victoria Tweed Champ a few years ago, but I too like the bigger amps and just never bonded with it. The tweed tone is sure there, but I rarely play through it...save your money.

NewKid likes this.
  11. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

This could go either way. If your love for tweed is just based on the Love pedal, you need to try a Champ and a Deluxe. They both have a tweed sound, but they're far from the same sound. It's sorta like a cornet and a trombone are both brass instruments, or a 298 Mustang and a Hemi 'Cuda are both muscle cars....

12. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I have had two.. I now have a Champ kit in a 1x10 Harvard Box, the little guys were very dark sounding w/ non Fender guitars , some feel they open up , but one of mine was used and sounded about the same.. it’s something you need to try w/ the guitars you intend you use with it.. BTW the cost of the assembled 1x10 was about 1/2 the going rate of a used Fender 1x8

13. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

I love my Champ XD and I REALLY love my Blues Deluxe RI! But, both are 2 different amps for 2 different purposes. As others have said, think on what you really need it for. For me, my XD is for practice and very small venues where I don't need a lot of head space. The Blues deluxe is a whole other creature of course. I also own a pawn shop series Excelsior tube amp too, which I love dearly, and it's sort of an "in between" the other 2 amps. You might look into those as well...

14. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

I use a 5E3 and a 57 champ as a small room rig. The champ is darker and more compressed-at 12 where I run it-and the deluxe is set cleaner and can be as bright as needed. They are both great amps, and either is a great choice-but I dont do pedals much so I would buy whatever one I could rock loud if I were you. Maybe a princeton tweedoid knockoff would give you a little of both.

15. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

I couldn't decide, so...
    IMG_20190915_204652.jpg

Champ 8"
    Princeton 10"
    Deluxe 12"

16. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Not a Champ fan. They record well, but in a room they sound … small and boxy. Love my tweed Deluxe.

Skydog1010 and NewKid like this.
  17. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I like both of the amps mentioned in the OP, but as stated multiple times, they are different animals. I personally love the sound of a small tweed. I have an EC Vibro Champ, and it's really a cool sounding amp that records well, too, in my small music room. And the longer you play it, the better it sounds. Once those tubes get smokin hot, that little Champ sound killer. I couldn't have it as my only amp, however - I use a Princeton Reverb about 70% of the time because I like a clean that's clean.

Milspec likes this.
  18. Linkjr

Linkjr Tele-Meister

Champ is great for the tweed sound which imo is real greasy slight distorted tone or edge of breakup sound to get that sound with deluxe the vol level needs to be higher up (the tone is also different ) so would depend where you'll be playing it.

There are some great warm tones coming n out of my champ at lower vols too but I wouldn't class them as "the" tweed sound

19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

It’s interesting because my 5F1 is anything but small and boxy sound-wise. It’s great with my tele and strat – blues and western swing beast – and it’s even better with my archtop – swing tone for days. It can be brittle – yes – but the tone control on the guitar can help that.

I play it clean, just on the verge of breakup and it sounds really good. And pretty loud in a small room. I have put it through the 2x10” cab of my Tremolux (same Ohms) and I found to my surprise that I liked it better with the 1x8”. I don’t know … maybe the Weber speaker in it makes a difference?

Not to say that a Deluxe would not be better. They sure sound bigger and it seems to be the amp you really want, so…

RYAN1987M and Ricky D. like this.
  20. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I'll defer to your greater experience. My experience was brief.

RadioFM74 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.