Opinions on Fender Princeton Reverb Reissues

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
I had that problem and started several posts about the sound and tone not being as sweet once you moved away from the amp. I read an article about the acoustic foam "doughnut" placed between the speaker and the speaker grill. It worked! I played my amp at volume 4 tonight with friends in our local pub playing the blues and the tone was just as good at being right next to the speaker and 15ft away. I have replaced the 10" Jensen Alnico with a 12" speaker which I also think helps move more air and helps carry the tone.

Can you explain what you changed please?

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
Any experience with the Mojotone PR baffles? I want to try a 12" in my PRRI but don't want to hack it up.

I had a Mojotone 12" cab in a kit I bought. Very well made. There isn't really room for the baffle stabilizer that you see on the lower part of the stock baffle, and the silver covering is slightly different, but I don't suppose anyone would know from 3 fet away.

cottontails1959

Tele-Meister
I have a 68 CPR and am happy with it. I gig with it miked through a SM57 at church, V on 2.5. Hardly ever run louder than 5 when practicing at home. Regarding the muddy/too much bass ... well, mebbe ... maybe a different speaker would help ... I my solution has been to set both the treble and bass at 10, then slightly back out the bass. I think it's a mistake to run let's say, T on 6 and B on 3. I'm am pretty sure they're both cut controls, so I start by letting everything through. I use it wet-dry with a Fender Music Master bass amp. The Blues Junior I am sure would work fine wet-dry with either a 65 PRRI or 68 CPR, and IMO prolly sound a tonne better than a single amp on its own.

Addnine

Tele-Holic
I have the '65 w/ a 12" Cannbis Rex. Still getting used to the speaker (subdued treble), but the sound overall is gorgeous.

PeteWaller

Tele-Meister
I put a 12" speaker in mine and did not change the baffle which is cut for a 10" speaker. Sounds ok to me:)

T-Bone

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I have a ‘65 that came with the 12” C Rex. Swapped the speaker out for an Emminence Li’l Texas to shave off 4 pounds of weight. It is a fantastic amp.

The only issue, common to all tube amps with a single volume control (and no attenuator), is that it sounds completely different at “wife is home” volume and stage volume.

dalezjc

Tele-Meister
Picked up this Limited-Edition Tweed '65 Princeton Reverb last year, and it's just an incredible amp. This version has the 12-inch speaker and just sounds amazing.
princeton.jpg

Jazzerstang

Tele-Afflicted
Don’t get an earlier prri. They rattle like a comical skeleton’s teeth. I’ve also had one of the limited edition ones with the 12 inch celestion. Pretty good but I think a 12 in a Princeton Reverb is a bit of overkill. I would imagine the current stock 65 prri is just fine. For what it’s worth, I own a 79 and it just blows them all away.

Lespaulatwork

TDPRI Member
I play the 64 HW Princeton Reverb. Expensive indeed and probably not that stellar better than the 65 PRRI but nevertheless I had the budget and the urge....and very happy.
20211107_100743.jpg

thebowl

Tele-Meister
I have the 65 PRRI. It has a RCA black plate in it. For the ceramic sound, the Emi GA10 can’t be beat. And if you can find one, a JBL D110 will sound very, very nice.

joebloggs13

Tele-Afflicted
I was interested in the Princeton, but ended up getting a Louis Electric Columbia Reverb instead. Very happy with the Columbia.

dough

TDPRI Member
I picked up a '64 CHW Princeton about a month ago and absolutely love it. The weight was initially a big selling point for me as it's about 25% lighter than my DRRI (I've noticed an inverse relationship between amp size and prostate size over the years), but the Princeton's absolutely become my go-to amp in the house or at a jam. I would note that if you play with a loud band you won't be able to sustain cleans, but the tone from the amp is consistently awesome. Here's a good comparo vid of Fender's primary Princeton offerings if anyone's interested:

Last edited:

tombm3

Tele-Holic
I really enjoy my PRRI with a 12" GA-SC64. I'm tempted to get the Alessandro hand-wiring done but I'm enjoying it too much to ship it out right now.
prri.JPG