Opinions on Fender Princeton Reverb Reissues

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Tezuka27, Oct 2, 2021.

1. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

That's interesting since the Celesion 12" that is in the FSR I have is also a Ceramic.

I thought the Alnico equipped version with the Jensen P12q sounded fantastic too, and I was biased towards the Bordeaux cosmetics of that version.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

@Jared Purdy wrote: “As an aside, I have no idea why Fender wouldn't be contracting out to Eminence to supply this speaker, at least for this amp? They're an American company and they've worked with Fender since the early to mid 70's, and they have the correct specs, from what I was told by Alessandro himself. And, it's cheaper than the Jensen.”

ime, some people play logos while forgetting that this music thing is an aural endeavor.

SnidelyWhiplash and Jared Purdy like this.
  3. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have to confess my own weakness in that regard with "Fender", "Gibson", "Martin". Still, I'm happy with what I have, a little tweaking here and there. I have ventured in the other direction, and came back to where I am.

As an aside, I did try the GA-SC59 for my 57' Deluxe. I preferred the tone from the "Fender Special Design" (which is also made by Eminence), so I put it back in. Costly experiment!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Wally likes this.
  4. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

65 Mine is a beautiful amp and I play it every day....it gives me soooo much pleasure!
    20200804_173515.jpg

T-Bone, havlma1, Roscoe295 and 5 others like this.
  5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I am curious if anyone can comment on the 10” vs 12” thing with respect to directionality of the sound.

One of the things I like best about my Princeton with the 12” speaker is it’s less sensitive to amp placement in the room than the Orange. If I elevate the Amp and it’s pointed right at me they both sound good. But if the amp is on the floor the 10” Orange cab has a sweet spot and it sounds off if you walk out of that spot. The Princeton 12” setup is way less picky and if I run the Orange into the Princeton speaker it sounds better.

I’m not sure if the speaker or cab size is responsible for this and the other thing I can’t tell is whether these various 12” FSR Princetons have different cab dimensions.

Is this directionality thing what people mean when they say boxy?

At some point this effect goes away as the volume goes up but that’s pretty darn loud.

6. BamaSurf

BamaSurf Tele-Meister

D3A84309-56D0-4E2C-8402-CDAEC9A4B619.jpeg I play mine several hours a day. It has a 12” Cannabis Rex speaker...came from Sweetwater that way....I love the amp. Would need to be mic’d for gigs.
    I wanted a smaller tube amp with quality, tone, Reverb and Vibrato..great amp for home practice, studio or recording...The real deal

T-Bone and That Cal Webway like this.
  7. Wally

8. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Afflicted

It looks great! Which version of the 65 is that?

9. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

My experience with the PRRI was a mixed bag- I loved the clean sound at low volumes, but found it lacking at most gig volumes. The problem was not enough clean headroom. Since I play a solo act, I prefer my guitar sound to be very full in the bottom end. The PRRI, with the stock speaker, farted out far too easily. I went through several speaker swaps, including a JBL D110F and, eventually a 12 inch stock Fender from a BD. My eventual "fix" was to sell it and obtain, eventually, my 1970 DR. The headroom in it is sufficient, and with a speaker transplant of 2 JBL D110Fs, no speaker fart.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  10. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

I had that problem and started several posts about the sound and tone not being as sweet once you moved away from the amp. I read an article about the acoustic foam "doughnut" placed between the speaker and the speaker grill. It worked! I played my amp at volume 4 tonight with friends in our local pub playing the blues and the tone was just as good at being right next to the speaker and 15ft away. I have replaced the 10" Jensen Alnico with a 12" speaker which I also think helps move more air and helps carry the tone.

11. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

The BJr is not a 'Fender' sound to my ears; I chalk it up to the pair of EL84s.

I've had a '65 PRRI for 10 years and it is a fantastic amp. I have gradually modified it over the years.

I wanted a big clean tone from the smaller amp, so I installed a Weber 10F150 speaker for firmer lows, JJ 6V6s (really closer to a 6L6 than a 6V6, sound-wise), a Heyboer TO20 output transformer, and a solid-state rectifier to make the amp punchier. It all works really great together. The last mod I did was about three years ago when I installed a pair of tilt-back legs. It's the perfect amp now.

12. Wally

The Po Jr., Blues Jr, And the Blues/Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville amps are rooted in the tweed era topographies, imho.

13. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

I am going to try a Celestion G12m Greenback in mine next:)

14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 65 PRRI Blackface and LOVE it.
    I wish it were louder.
    Even my non-musical son said " That's how it should sound" when I tried it out with my Hwy. 1 Telecaster.
    I sold my Blues Jr. in favour of the PRRI.

darkwaters likes this.
  15. Wally

16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks @darkwaters. Do you have one? They are great.

17. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I have the Sweetwater tweed version (12", 15w) and it is perfect for my needs. Speaker choice can really change things up. I swapped out the C-Rex right away because it didn't match the tone spectrum I need. After experimentation, I ended up with a 90 watt, 100 db Celestion alnico speaker that really changed the amp- tons of clean headroom and a really big sound. Obviously, I rely on pedals for OD.

I will say that a 12" speaker in a cabinet that small needs to have a fairly tight bass contour (IMO) which is probably why the C-Rex works well for a lot of people. I just prefer a speaker that breathes well with a good dispersal.

18. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I use a '65 PRRI for a practice amp. Sounds beautiful at low volumes.

19. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Any experience with the Mojotone PR baffles? I want to try a 12" in my PRRI but don't want to hack it up.

20. thejackofhearts

thejackofhearts Tele-Meister

Which PRRI are you thinking about getting? There's multiple dealer exclusive speaker options...I love (and have) the the Guitar Center Bordeaux Red 12" Jenson set up. However, the Sweetwater exclusive with the Cannabis Rex is pretty tasty as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.