Opinions on Fender Blues Jr Gig Backline?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RustleFuzz, Jul 17, 2018.

1. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

Normally use a DRRI for regular gigs.

Will be using a mini pedalboard for gain, delay, etc.

Just curious as to general advice how to use this amp to get the most out of it, knowing it doesn't sound like a DRRI. It's an outdoor gig, miked, not a super loud band.

Assuming set Master to 12 and Gain to level. Not sure about "Fat" switch. Would love to try to emulate the Deluxe sound as close as possible.

Gain pedals on this mini board are a Moorer Triangle Buff (Big Muff clone), Moorer Hustle Drive (OCD clone) and Tone City Bad Horse (Klon klone).

Just looking for general opinions from those familiar w the BJ and DRRI, I used this amp a year ago and didn't have time to really evaluate the settings...was kinda tough.

We play Stones, Zeppelin, Trower...mix of classic rock/blues.

Any helpful thoughts are welcomed especially if you have gigged w both amps. I think I am going to miss the Deluxe Reverb. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  2. Bluesensationist

Bluesensationist TDPRI Member

A lot of difference between a deluxe reverb, but I love the sound of a jr through a mic when driven really hard. I'm no expert, but I really like the sound of a smaller amp played to it's limit in the mic compared to a louder amp being limited due to a small venue. I haven't gigged a lot with either, my main amp is just a hot rod deluxe. but my buddy used to gig a jr and I always thought it worked well for being able to push the amp and still mic into the mix well without being too loud in a smaller venue if that makes sense.

I've played blues jrs around 6-8 to get a little clean break up.

Also, again i'm no expert, but I don't think you can really emulate a deluxe reverb, but just learn how to achieve gratifying tones out of a smaller amp which can be really satisfying in a different way. I really like the smaller combo tones but that might be due to being more comfortable pushing them to their limits without hurting my ears.

RustleFuzz likes this.
  3. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

Thanks! This year I hope to have more time to get familiar with the amp settings for the future. Last year time was not on my side. What I like about the DRRI is being able to go from the Fender Clean to a pretty cool dirt tone, generally using a Fulltone OCD. This will be a scaled down version of that. I can make it work, but wanted to ask if there were some quick tips (especially the fat switch & EQ settings) to getting a close enough tone.

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fat switch off. Mids way down/off if you like that scooped Fender sound. Pick an early Bottlrockets album - that's the sound of a Blues Jr.

RustleFuzz likes this.
  5. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

Thank you! I think last year I had the Fat on and all the EQ was between the 10-2 O’clock positions roughly. I may have had the Master not all the way up either. It was a super fast plug in and go, walked away thinking if the same setup happened again I would ask here first. It wasn’t horrible, just not near ideal either.

6. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

Years ago, I played my 1996 era Blues Junior once at an outdoor gig. Def can tend to get lost in the outdoor as the sound disperses (for cleanish tone). Have it on a stand or tilting up towards you so will hear it better. Mic'd is great for the audience. You should be great with your pedals if you're playing overdriven R&R stuff.

I use my 12 watt Princeton Reverb at regularly gigs (with an Eminence Patriot 12" speaker) and it gets loud with pedals. Just won't deliver the lower Bass like a larger amp.

RustleFuzz likes this.
  7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I used a Blues Jr mic’d for smaller gigs for three years. I used a DRRI or a Blackstar mini stack for larger gigs.

I never turned the BJ master all the way up. I have Tung Sol tubes in mine. It was a bit noisy when I did the maxed Master thing. My master was set at about half and the pregain was set at about 4. The amp was nearly clean (it had a little edge). We mic’d up no matter the gig size so the amp was set to sound good and not be super loud.

I had a Tubescreamer and a Soul Food and a boost on my board (and Tremolo and delay). I became pretty fond of gigging it because it’s easy to lift and move and when mic’d and mixed with the band it sounded good. No fat switch. Leave it off!

I have an Anvil style brief case that I carry extension cords and tools and picks (spare gig stuff) in. I would lay it flat on the floor when we were set up and the Blues Jr would sit on it. Just getting the amp 5” off the floor helped a lot as far as hearing it at reasonable volumes.

You’ll enjoy it!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    drlucky and RustleFuzz like this.
  8. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

I appreciate all the insight, excited to give the BJR a second spin in a couple weeks! This year I hope to have more time to try the suggestions y'all have provided so far.

9. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

Here is the amp I’ll be using, had the owner send some pics (never mind the settings shown). Has an Eminence Speaker, guessing ‘95-‘96. Thinks he got it in ‘97. IMG_5821.JPG IMG_5822.JPG IMG_5823.JPG IMG_5824.JPG IMG_5825.JPG

10. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Difficult to dup a Deluxe with a BJ...different cabinet characteristics. Also, different Revisions of the BJ have different tones..some darker, some brighter. Mine is an original green board..MIA 1997 but with Jensen C12N speaker. I typically have Bass=3, Mid = 5-7, and Treble = 7-8 Volume 5-8 and Master= 5 or as needed. I use pedals for OD/Dist.

RustleFuzz likes this.
  11. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

I have found that Fat off, Master dimed, volume to taste, Bass 5, Mid 2 and Treble 6 seems to work best.

budglo and RustleFuzz like this.
  12. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

Image1532396603.606822.jpg Have the mini fly board ready to go for this one, ready to take on the Blues JR challenge. Thanks for all of the suggestions, can’t wait to try them out. Sounds to me the Fat Switch “off” is the baseline!

richey88 and MisterZ like this.
  13. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

I tend to go with bass 8.5, mid 5.25, treble 7.5. Fat off, no reverb. Volume 3-ish, master to the room.

RustleFuzz likes this.
  14. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

My only problem with a HRD or BJ backline is reading the control panel on a dark stage. Does anyone adjust the knobs from behind the amp? More often than not, the amp is against a wall and the stage lighting makes the white letters on the chrome panel disappear. And why aren't the tone controls laid out in the T M B format?

15. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

16. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I always used the master dimed for max headroom and volume to room . I used a TS9 with mine and used a vox delay lab.

17. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have both. The DRRI is more open sounding, full and clear. OK we're not talking about wine, it's a great amp with more headroom.

The BJ is also a popular amp and I found when I have a chance to let it crank, it doesn't need the fat switch. Of course there's the BillM mod kits that allow for a boost stomp switch as well as the un-used fat switch - I rewired mine and it turns out that it's just as easy to use a boost or overdrive pedal for leads anyway. Also it behaves much differently when you get it off the floor - not even on a chair just a chunk of 2x4 under the front corner will make a difference.

RustleFuzz likes this.
  18. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

(If the gig hasn't happened yet) ... Playing outdoors, you'll need to elevate the amp and aim it at your ears. In that orientation, it will have less Bass response than it would on the stage, and the Blues Jr. already has far less Bass on tap than the Deluxe Reverb.
    Start with the Master Volume all the way up. Engage any distortion or boost pedals you plan on using, set the tone knobs ALL THE WAY UP ... now, turn down whatever is too much, starting with the Treble control. You should do this at as close to performing volume as possible, because the relative content of Bass frequencies will change with volume ... the louder, the more Bass will be apparent. When you think you sound good at appropriate stage volume, try to limit the amount of guitar in the monitors, unless you have a separate mix for just you, or you'll drive your band mates up the wall with extra guitar muddling their vocal mix.

RustleFuzz likes this.
  19. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

So the gig went really well. Master on 12, Gain on 4-5, Mids at 4, Treble and Bass above Noon (the upside down control layout stinks), Reverb on 2-3, Fat Switch Off. Not quite the DRRI Sound at all (no surprise here), but workable. Much better than last year with all y’all’s help!

esetter, MisterZ and galaxiex like this.
  20. GenoVox

GenoVox TDPRI Member

Glad to hear it worked out for you... yes, the BJ and a DRRI are VERY different sounding – especially those original green board USA versions (which are extra boxy & congested sounding, especially with the stock speaker, like the example you played through)

All's well that ends well....

RustleFuzz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.