1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Opinions on Cheap Chinese Tele beater (Orich) (To buy or not to buy?)

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by social.defiance, Jun 24, 2020.

To buy or not to buy?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2020.
  1. Yes

69.2%
  2. No

30.8%
  1. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

I didn't see these get mentioned above (probably some were) but here goes:

I'll cite US prices in dollars that I've seen lately. Shipping to your part of the world may skew the price greatly of course..

Tagima TW-55: Brazilian company (don't know if all guitars are still made there) -- US new for about $230-$300 +shipping
    SX Furrians various pickup combos, materials, etc. (MIC, sold by Rondo Music in NE US) - range from about $125-$200 +Shipping
    Harley Benton TE-30 (MIC) $105 + Shipping

social.defiance likes this.
  2. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

My first thought was that a Tele by nature is a beater so why bother? It was your "leave it in the car" comment that makes me say go for it.

social.defiance likes this.
  3. social.defiance

social.defiance TDPRI Member

By beater I mean something that can be taken anywhere without worrying about it. I may take it with me for a few trips in the car, but I guess I don't intend on keeping it in there... with these temperatures, the neck will definitely suffer.
    I love the lake placid blue color, love that it has a decent looking rosewood fretboard and the vintage vibe of the 3 saddle bridge- everything else is fixable or tweakable if necessary.
    I am making arrangements to have it shipped within 48 hours.
    For the total price of $127 shipped to my home, and combined with my little 10 watt Peavey Backstage and the Zoom G1 Four, I can jam anywhere!

nicknklv likes this.
  4. social.defiance

social.defiance TDPRI Member

I've asked for a close-up of the fretboard to see those frets, here are some additional pics:

Orich Telecaster 11.jpeg
    Orich Telecaster 9.jpeg
    Orich Telecaster 10.jpeg
    Orich Telecaster 13.jpeg

I expected the frets to be really crappy, yellow colored fretwire. Does not seem to be the case, and they don't look too bad at all actually. I think with a good fret polish, fretboard cleaning, decent setup and some new strings and I'll be set. I have that Alnico 5 Squier Standard tele set lying around somewhere if I ever feel the need to upgrade.

Thanks to all for their encouragement and advice!

radiocaster and PhredE like this.
  5. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

Modded these two Bad Boys.
    Get em' CHEAP ...
    And Stay in your lane money wise when modding them !!!
    FG
    20200625_122358.jpg

hopdybob and social.defiance like this.
  6. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

Got a cheap Chinese 12 string and used some parts i had laying around, the guitar is solid, the hardware was servicable, but i bought it to gut it.

12s.JPG
    12s1.jpg

Saved 100's on the Dano 12 i was thinking of buying

Attached Files:

FenderGyrl and social.defiance like this.
  7. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

That's a lot nicer bridge than what comes on the Affinities, those tippy saddles being pulled up and down on at the same time. I did the Bubba mod for 3 barrels on mine. It's already done on yours, with the vintage style tray.. Nice color too, and sealed tuners. I voted yes

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    FenderGyrl, tonyw and social.defiance like this.
  8. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

An Affinity i got for $50, wound my own new pups and did the Bubba mod, this thing screams as a slide guitar.

red1.jpg
    red2.JPG

FenderGyrl and BBQedIguana like this.
  9. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

have a bunch of guitars..today recorded with a Squier..the Squire's i have are great guitars.Duo, mustang,jazz & jag sound just as good as the rest.. Squire CV stuff .. it's not even a bang for the buck thing..it is just a good guitar all on its own merits

FenderGyrl and PhredE like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.