Opinions on Cheap Chinese Tele beater (Orich) (To buy or not to buy?)

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by social.defiance, Jun 24, 2020.

To buy or not to buy?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2020.
  1. Yes

69.2%
  2. No

30.8%
  1. social.defiance

social.defiance TDPRI Member

Hello there TDPRI community! Its' been a few years since my last post and I'm here to tap into the great collective tele knowledge and fish for some of your well respected opinions.

I live in Ecuador (South America) and was looking for a beater guitar, and thought to myself what better beater than a telecaster! They can survive anything!! In my search, I could only find Squier and Orich brands. As for Squier, they had the affinity models but the stores are currently out of stock due to the pandemic. I thought about buying used but some of the used teles I've seen are over $200 and in very questionable condition.

The most promising cheap clone copy actually doesn't look too bad and for the price I don't think I can go wrong. The brand is Orich, and I cannot find much info anywhere about this brand. I know I will most likely be dealing with sharp frets (as long as they aren't the cheap copper looking frets, I have tools to remedy this) and cheap woods as well as ceramic pickups (have some old Squier Standard Alnico 5 pickups lying around if I'm inclined to swap pups later down the road). This beater will be used around the house and will probably spend some or most of its time in the car for when I need to wait for extended periods of time for the wife, along with a pair of headphones and a Zoom G1 Four (mostly for clean Fender and Marshall blues tones). So I am not expecting an amazing guitar, but I would still like to hear about your expertise and opinions.

Here are some pictures, what do you think?
    (link: https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ec/MEC-425385094-guitarra-electrica-orich-egc1296-_JM)

Orich Telecaster.JPG
    Orich Telecaster 2.JPG
    Orich Telecaster 3.JPG
    Orich Telecaster 4.JPG

Body: Basswood
    Neck: Maple
    Fretboard: Rosewood
    Frets: 21
    Bridge: Vintage style 3 saddle
    Tuners: Standard diecast
    1 tone, 1 volume, 3 way selector

Only available color: Lake Placid Blue

I'd like to think that even Chinese off-brand copies have gotten better, and these certainly look better than some of the other cheap maple neck/fretboard copies I've seen from years ago.

Please let me know what you think of this specimen and if it is worth the $127 new to my door for beater purposes... I think I am more than decided but need some opinions and comments and maybe that extra push. Finishing off a tough school year as a teacher and looking to treat myself to a decent tele beater :D

2. social.defiance

Some more pictures:

Orich Telecaster 5.JPG
    Orich Telecaster 6.JPG
    Orich Telecaster 7.JPG
    Orich Telecaster 8.JPG

3. glbglb21

glbglb21 TDPRI Member

there are some you can get for cheaper and my vote really depends on what you mean by beater? if you mean a beater as an experiment guitar for doing wiring mods or modifications such as body mods and technician work for applications such as these i would go cheaper.

otherwise go for it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    social.defiance likes this.
  4. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Grab it. It might some setup work. Maybe a new nut. But these cheaper guitars can be made to be players.

PhredE, nojazzhere, Deeve and 2 others like this.
  5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Looks OK, it seems to be finished well...

a pickup swap in future might be all you need to change, if the original ones don't cut it... :)

6. social.defiance

Thanks for the responses so far. I do want to remind that I'm in South America, and although we use the US dollar, prices are a bit inflated here due to import taxes, etc. This is actually the cheapest I can find here. The Squier Affinity is around $250 I'm not mistaken, and won't be available for quite some time due to the current situation, if it will be available at all.

I'll be using this for noodling around the house but also thinking of leaving it in the car for when I am killing time.

What is the general consensus on the neck profile from looking at these pics? A thin and unsubstantial neck?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  7. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted

go ahead..play with it enjoy the guitar. None of us have a great supply of things we can buy and be happy with so you have to get things you want when you can get them :)

8. demon

demon Tele-Meister

I've never played that brand but if it's decently made and it means you get more opportunity to play, then go for it!

Last bit is the key. No point buying a cheap guitar just because it's cheap - there are much cheaper things you can buy by the KG :) - but if it means you can play at times when currently you can't.

9. glbglb21

glbglb21 TDPRI Member

if that is the cheapest you can find that you like then yeah go for it upgrade later if you decide your up for it or want to. like strato 50 said it may need a setup to get it really rocking even if your just noodling on it or whatever. and for the car maybe look at an Irig type setup you can put through headphones or the cars aux input of the stereo system. they arent the greatest things in the world but it could add some tone options for your noodling.

10. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Honestly, now; what survey is gonna get the answer "no"?

Get that cheap tele, get set up tips from resident-cheap-gtr enthusiast @FenderGyrl and play the heck out of it!

Peace - Deeve

11. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

I think it looks great! Love the Lake Placid Blue color-
    Are you able to get a Glarry shipped to Ecuador?? Their teles are $90 free shipping in USA...would be a cheaper beater with a chunkier neck if you prefer that. And since you have some pickups laying around....
    Here is a demo video.

12. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

that has that 70s look. $127 to the door, why not?

13. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

Looks great to me! Personally I wouldn't even consider the fact it's MIC, if it is a well put together guitar. The best quality guitar I have is an Ibanez AS-103 MIC.
    I have a "no-name" Strat clone from a company called Gould, which doesn't exist anymore. Zero info on it, but it plays very well.

The neck is likely a modern C, so slim but should be comfortable and fast. As others have mentioned, it'll need a setup, but so do all guitars imo. And if youve even got a pair of pickups laying around, you can swap those in at a later time.

Good luck with your hunt! :)

kris ford and social.defiance like this.
  14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I don't like it

I would get a Squire, wait or second hand.... I am just thinking on the resale value

I going to be easier selling the Squire than that thing

15. UlricvonCatalyst

UlricvonCatalyst TDPRI Member

OP, you say you have some luthier tools and pickups lying around, so I'm going to presume this won't be your one and only guitar. If that's the case, why not just wait another few months for the Squiers to become available again.

As someone said, it's worth thinking of the resale value. I'd say that's the case even more with cheap guitars, as you might end up practically giving away the off-brand one when you get to the point where you want to move up to something with more cachet.

16. social.defiance

Thank you for all of your responses!
    I think it is really important to point out: I am looking for a guitar can be thrown around without having me worry about it falling apart.
    This is not my first guitar. I have Squiers, Epiphones, Yamahas, Fenders, Gibsons for recording and rehearsals/gigging.

Also, at least in my neck of the woods, I cannot find a telecaster guitar with a rosewood neck that doesn't cost $400+ (even the Classic Vibe Teles are unavailable here). I live in a third world country, and with the pandemic situation, the stores aren't getting normal shipments and may not restock on these or the more expensive Squiers ($250 for an affinity which at that price, are not my idea of a beater guitar). And as was mentioned earlier, used cheap guitars here are more expensive than some new cheap guitars in the States. I know because of the internet and because I was born and raised in NY (miss you Guitar Center).

So at $127, with a rosewood fretboard and 3 saddle bridge (however cheap it may be), and some extra hardware and pickups I have lying around, it may not be bad for throwing around.
    I have no intention on resale - I do my research and investigate as much as I can before I buy gear, then I keep it and use it and enjoy it :cool:

17. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Love the color. If it feels good and plays decent (understanding it may need some tweaks later), I'd pay $127 with no hesitation.

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Why would you want to beat it? Looks like a nice finish.

I wouldn't leave it in the car for long periods of time, it can get hot and mess up the neck.

68Telebass and social.defiance like this.
  19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Since you have some decent guitar tech skills and some spare parts available it should work out for you.

Typical weak points on guitars in this range are unfinished fret work, poorly cut nuts and poor quality electronics. This is usually an easy fix.

Pickups vary a lot. I've seen some cheap guitars that have surprisingly good pickups and some that are not very good.

But, at $127, that's probably a good deal for you considering your current situation.

20. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

I votes 'yes' based on your reasons for buying: you have obviously given a lot of thought to this and how you intend to use it.

Absolutely it makes sense in this case to buy it for yourself.

If you were a gigging player that needed a backup, I'd vote no and suggest something of better quality for improved reliability.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.