1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Opinions on a local pink paisley Tele w/ Bigsby build I'm looking at.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by SnoMan97, Feb 26, 2021.

1. SnoMan97

SnoMan97 Tele-Meister

A local guy is interested in trading this Tele build for my 2018 Player Series Strat. It looks good to me in the pics provided so far. Anything I'm missing? What else should I look for when I meet in person? Here is the ad with some specs and pics below.
    "I have a pink paisley telecaster for sale or trade. It’s made up from an Allparts neck and body(around$1000) just in that. Has Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates neck pickup and a Seymour Duncan broadcaster bridge pickup. Mastery bridge and a Bigsby tailpiece. Vintage style tuners and a 5 way switch. Looking for something different...I’ve wanted one of these for a long time and now that Ive got one it’s just not my thing. I like Stratocasters,Jazzmaster and Gibsons, bass guitars/cabs,drums....it’s a sweet sounding guitar."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I think that's too much for a partscaster.

I found my '86 MIJ Fender ''69RI Pink Paisley Tele in a pawnshop w/OHSC for $600 a couple of years ago.

It was all original except it had EMG pickups.

I Installed a set of Lillard an upgraded all the wiring.

If I had to sell it, I might get $700+/- for it.

It's really hard to get your money back on a partscaster if you ever have to sell it.

3. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

The Mastery bridge and Bigsby alone are over $400 in parts. Another $200-ish for the Seymour Duncan set? I'd want to see the wiring and know what's under the hood, and I doubt there's almost $1000 in the Allparts body and neck. It's not a hunk of garbage though.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  4. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It looks nice. Test it out. If you like it. Go for it. On Reverb they are asking 5 to 6 hundred or so for a players strat.

5. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

If it plays, sounds, and feels good, I'd do it. But I'm not a Strat guy.

6. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hmmm.

The overall guitar is not bad (I don't like Bigsby on a Tele, but if you asked I suppose it does not bother you), although the price seems to me on the high side.

I suspect that I could build the same guitar for far less money. If you want to try it, go and see how you like it: personally, I'd buy it only if it floored me.

Good luck.

7. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Where does anyone see a price? I don't see one. I think it's a fair exchange for a Player Strat valued somewhere between $600 and $800.
    Realistically (that $1000 for just neck and body is total BS): Neck, $135; tuners, $40, nut $4 DIY, $40 cut; body, $325; Mastery, $165; Bigsby $125-140; p'ups about $160; additional parts, about $60, not counting the VibraMate spoiler at about $40. That puts the guitar somewhere in the neighborhood of a grand without labor. It's too bad it's not the F Bigsby, which would be the icing on the cake, but it beats the hell out of any Strat as long as it wasn't butchered when it was put together. I'd do it in a heartbeat, but only after checking out in person.

In fact, I think I would happily pay $825 for that guitar if I were looking. I paid $750 for an Allparts/MJT 62-style relic with Don Mare pickups and spent $50 on steel straight comp Rutters saddles and $150 on an "F" B5, and it's currently my #1 out of a stable of more than twenty.

Crobbins likes this.
  8. Sea Devil

Everyone says those AllParts paisleys are the best mass-produced versions since the originals, btw. Lots of people like the Japanese ones too, but the foil is silver instead of gold, the other colors are brighter, and the pink is paler and somehow less blue and cooler.

9. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I'm not usually a fan of paisley things but dang.... that bigsby really sets that sucker off! Nice.

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’d take that trade no problem. But having owned a new player series strat last year, I’m not a fan. If my experience is any indication, that tele is a much nicer guitar. And I even hate Bigsbys.

11. Jakedog

I didn’t look up the rest of the parts, but an Allparts paisley body is priced new at $740.

Crobbins likes this.
  12. SnoMan97

SnoMan97 Tele-Meister

What was your issue with the Player Stratocaster?

13. Sea Devil

Yikes!

Jakedog likes this.
  14. Jakedog

Expensive, but it’s a really good paisley reproduction. If a person really cares about that, maybe it’s worth it. I wish I’d kept my MIJ reissue. It was a sweet guitar.

15. Jakedog

I just didn’t like it at all. The factory didn’t bother to even rough in a setup or intonation. Attempting a setup and intonation revealed a half dozen high frets and a really poorly cut nut. Pickups were just “meh”. The whole thing was just kind of “meh”. I returned it.

It looked like a $700 guitar. Good fit and finish. Decent hardware. Didn’t play or sound like a $700 guitar at all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.