Opinions on 24.75 Conversion Necks?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Hoodster, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I've got a full-scale Tele and Strat, looking for something different for a build (Either a Thinline or Telemaster) and looking at these conversion necks.

Are there any pros and cons other than the obvious preferences folks have? Also curious who you would buy from. It's been 10 years or more since I bought an aftermarket neck (Warmoth, very nice).

Main criteria are amber tinted maple board with rolled edges.

Thanks!

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Assuming the conversion neck is properly built it will shift the body joint down the neck (ie the neck moves into the body). That gives you very slightly less access to upper frets. A shorter scale will have less tension for the same gauge strings - that will give you a slightly different feel (easier to fret). It can be argued that shorter scales changes the harmonic content of a note - I can point you to the math if you are interested.

You can't go wrong with a Warmoth neck. I've worked with their 24 inch scale and their bari conversions - they did the math correctly on both of those so I assume a 24.75 will be correct.

3. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Warmoth doesn't do rolled edges, but they do make great necks. I have one of their conversions on a Tele, plays and sounds great.

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I've had a few conversion necks, some notes:
    -You wont even notice any access to upper frets issues. It's almost nil. The neck does not go further into the body. The frets just shift location a tiny amount.
    -You will notice the 3/4" closer to you the 1st fret is.
    -I realized the reason I like my Fender guitars is the 25.5 scale. Short scale is just not the same. Especially on the low E and a little bit on the A string.
    -One maker wants you to buy a side adjust double truss rod. The neck is noticeably heavier and I found the side adjust needed adjusting more often than a normal truss rod. I noticed this when swapping necks around . When I picked up the shorter double rod neck I went "Wow" that's heavier!
    Having said all that it works OK and many people play 24.75 necks! I got rid of all mine eventually.

5. Freeman Keller

The normal body joint is at the 16th fret which is 15.380 from the nut on a 25.5 scale guitar. That is also 10.12 from the uncompensated scale location (ie the uncompensated bridge location, which is fixed). 10.12 inches from the uncompensated scale puts you at 14.630 on a 24.75 neck which is midway between the 15th and 16th frets. The 16th fret has moved 0.290 closer to the bridge. It isn't much but you will see it if you line the fret up with the body joint and it is one of the keys to this working correctly.

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Ahh... I see what you are saying, you are saying the support under the neck, relative to frets is different. True. But still, the heel of the neck is where it always was. So reaching the last frets is pretty much the same. I don't know about you but the under neck support isn't very relevant to me when accessing up there, you have to work around it anyway, unlike neck thru guitars.

7. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I installed a Warmoth one for a customer a few years ago. Worked real nice and he loved it.

8. erix

erix TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I started out on an old les Paul and I never did bond with any others - until I used a Warmoth conversion scale neck. Now I have two of them and I like them both. However, I recently scored a Baja tele and it is seriously growing on me. I notice the decrease in string tension when I switch back to the conversion necks. I think the tension is the only difference I can feel or hear.

9. Freeman Keller

Which is different from, say a Les Paul which has the neck to body joint at the 16th fret (just like a tele) but the bridge is moved towards the heel. It is really noticeable on the 28-5/8 bari conversion where the body joint now occurs at the 18th fret. Warmoth gets that right too.

10. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I’ve had a few conversion necks. Warmoth makes a good one, but I prefer the feel of USACG necks myself, and currently have 2 of them.

11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

used many from USACG sand Sound Guitar Works... nada single problem...

rk

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

If you want to make your own here's the gouge:

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.