Opinions Of The American Standard Telecaster !!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mezzamort, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Mezzamort

Mezzamort TDPRI Member

Just wondering what your thought's are on the Newer Tele's ?

2. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I personally don't like the tummy cut, but they're good guitars for people who do.

3. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Tele-Meister

I love mine but there is room for improvement. The neck could be a little bit chunkier which would probably result in a slightly fuller tone. It plays like butter though and sounds wonderful, too. Oh yeah, I would prefer a lacquer finish. An American Standard should be finished in lacquer, period. The urethane does neither look nor feel as plastic-y as Mexican polyester but still, lacquer would be much nicer and befitting. Solid saddles would be an improvement, preferably brass, but the stock saddles do their job well enough and it leaves a starting point for modders. Bottom line, it's a wonderful instrument that leaves you wanting a Custom Shop Tele.

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Best American Std tele ever built.

tery likes this.
  5. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey TDPRI Member

I used to own one in mystic blue, it was a 2012 if my memory serves me right. Sometimes I regret selling it, but as it turned out my fretting hand couldn't get along with the neck. (I suppose I must have inherited my father's joints.) However, the bridge pickup was really versatile on that guitar, and the fit and finish was flawless. Wasn't a fan of the tummy cut but really didn't mind it either. Bottom line: It was a mostly brilliant guitar that worked incredibly well out of the box. If it weren't for my left hand I would have kept it and never looked back.

6. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

The one thing I love about the Standards is the lovely satin urethane finish on the neck, go for an older model (pre-owned) if you don't like the contour.

7. JedimasterPaul

JedimasterPaul TDPRI Member

I just got one and really like it. This is coming from a guy who has previously only owned 'vintage' style telecasters - lacquer finish, three barrel bridge, etc.

However, I just like mine for what it is, a modern telecaster, and I've no intentions to spend a whole lot trying to make it into something it is not. I'll take that money and put it down on the Danocaster I'm waiting for :)

The belly cut is comfortable, and on this guitar I like it. If I was buying a 52 RI, I wouldn't want one.

The finish is nice, feel great - as someone else said the satin on the neck is very nice.

The neck is not as chunky as on my les Paul, but its not tiny either.

Pickups sound great, and its pretty quiet. Obviously there will always be single coil hum but I have not noticed much in the way of RF noise, and I'm sitting close to my amp in a room with a PC, printer, etc. The guitar is wired to cancel the coil hum when both pickups are selected.

finally, the bodies on these are routed for humbuckers and a third single coil in the middle, so if modding is your thing this guitar is a good platform for that, you can do a lot without having to break out the router.

8. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I agree with nick .

9. schmintan

schmintan Tele-Meister

Played one about 2 years ago with intention of buying it. It felt badly put together, like the tolerances for things like the neck joint were way off. My playing wasnt the best so i wont say for sure it sounded bad, but i got much better sounds out of a strat in the same shop.

could be that guitar just wasnt for me.

10. Little Red Tele

Little Red Tele Tele-Meister

After finally deciding to own a Telecaster again after many years, I've recently tried all the MiM's, vintages (70's) and reissues available locally, Squiers, G&L's, and rare birds, including some thin skins at Wildwood up the road from me. Long time ago I owned an American Series, a 1977, and a 90's Tele Thinline, but sold them when things got tough. Things are better, so this year I purchased two of them, returned one, kept one, and bingo, that's the one. I LOVE IT! So I'm prepared to say the current American Standard is the best Tele I've ever owned. Feel, sound, construction, look, everything is top notch. I even like the case (it's a 2013).

11. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

"The best". The twisted Tele neck pup really sings.
    I don't mind the belly cut, as an old guy a bit less weight is welcome.

tery likes this.
  12. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

To be frank I'm not that impressed with the 'new' Standard. It just feels and sounds a bit bland and characterless. Don't know why that is but I felt the same about my last Standard. I did have a Standard Ash which was very good. I also feel that Fender's pricing-now well into Les Paul territory-is way over the top for a mass produced, bolt-together guitar.

Ripradiant likes this.
  13. Marlin B

Marlin B Tele-Meister

Im with you fellers.

14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The American Standard is an extremely underrated guitar IMO. It's well made, has a great neck. Some may quibble about the saddles or other modern features but it's a fine guitar. In terms of value, it sits comfortably between MIM standards and AV series. I have higher end guitars but I could be perfectly happy with an Am Standard (although they don't have any colors that I prefer in the present offerings).

I am not sure how $1299 list for the Tele is in the Les Paul territory. I would assume the Les Paul Standard with a list of $1999 is the equivalent to an American Standard Tele.

15. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Tele-Meister

It's a great guitar.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It does a really great job of what it does.

It just doesn't do what I want a Telecaster to do. But that's OK. There's no possible way FMIC could ever make the guitar perfect for all players, all at the same time. It simply can't be that way. That's why they make other models and I buy those instead, or assemble something on my own from USACG.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  17. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

They are great quality guitars...the entire American standard range guitars and basses are very well built and performing.I would not buy the Telecaster one personally because my tastes lean towards the vintage reissues but I have played a few in shops and always walked away with a very good opinion in how they deliver a good Telecaster playing experience.I am not wild about the back scoop or the Strat saddles...I would make them with traditional Tele body shapes and return to 3 saddle bridges with modern intonation capability.

AndrewG likes this.
  18. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Prices in Britain for the two are much closer than in the US.
    http://www.reidys.com/pr/electric-g...8j_UKJflEWhKA4BESJpPzj3WcvEZc9dvvcaAleY8P8HAQ

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson...bBATjuQd2l17ukV2ASdZM4RpthbpvSIVnsaAqJo8P8HAQ

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  19. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I too feel that is the best version of the us std. Only thing I will state is that the used market is a lot cheaper than retail (around here it is about 50 percent cheaper than retail)

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Wow. I didn't realize that.
    On the other hand I am not sure that a bolt on neck guitar is any less valuable than glued in neck on a solid body guitar. You either want a high quality Tele or you want a high quality Les Paul. For instance, I have an R8 Les Paul but I don't play it nearly as much as I play my Tele. If one had to go, it would be the Les Paul. I paid about the same for both of them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.