1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

opinions of Native Instruments drum samples?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by JimmyPeteKeith, Mar 25, 2014.

1. JimmyPeteKeith

JimmyPeteKeith Banned

I'm just starting with NI Kontakt player VST sample player. Ultimately I want to use it to create drum tracks in Reaper DAW.

Love to hear user's opinions of NI Kontakt player.

Also which NI drum packs are recommended? Any of the Abbey Road drum packs? Better off going with Studio Drummer? Drum Lab?

Thanks in advance for replies from folks who have used the gear.

2. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

Can definitely tell you NI Kontakt player is a widely used sample engine.

Can't tell you anything about the products you list but can tell you that I use Steve Slate Drums in Kontakt format. Everything including the kitchen sink is available for tweaks.

edit: Should also mention the player itself is a freebie, so you are just buying the product in Kontakt format

3. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

They used to ship NI Kontakt with Sibelius which I had version 5 of.
    Kontakt was a nice program and with some decent drum sounds out of Sibelius it worked well.
    I no longer use Kontakt since it wsn't included with Sibelius 7 but as I recall NI Kontakt had better sounds than the stock ones back then. I imagine they have even been improved.
    I bought the rock and pop collection of sounds to use with Kontakt after writing the drum music in Sibelius but that was a sibelius add on so I can't comment on what is available directly from Kontakt nowadays but it IS a nice adjustable interface as I recall.
    Actually I wrote three drum tracks today since you mentioned it. Sibelius interfaces directly into Reaper and using standard notation you can really add the proper nuances easily like ghost notes, rim clicks,brushes, open and closed hats and the like.
    They have a 30 day free demo which is fully functional but I believe it only comes with crappy midi sounds and does not reflect the true sound quality of the release.
    Just a bit of info..

4. JimmyPeteKeith

JimmyPeteKeith Banned

yipes, right off the bat suddenly talking about additional programs... slate drums, sibelius.

i'm a guitarist who plays a couple other analog instruments. unfortunately not drums, so i'm forced into drum software.

i don't want to make a religion out of midi. i'm not a keyboard player who grew up fascinated with knob twisting and endless synth noodling.

NI kontakt looks easy to use and the NI drum packs sound realistic to my ears. i was hoping someone could confirm this and recommend best drum pack among the NI offerings.

last thing i want is to have to learn kontakt... then learn how slate drums work... then learn how to write the parts in sibelius... etc.

rather spend my time playing instruments and making music. i realize i have to do some drum programming. but do i really have to become proficient at 3 or 4 different programs to do it?

NI kontakt looks like it keeps the midi programming and noodling to a minimum while still providing really authentic sounding drums. i learn one software program and get good drums.

am i on the right track? or are there better choices that don't involve learning multiple additional software packages?

5. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

EZdrummer might still be on sale, with 2.0 due out soon. The Classic EZX expansion sounds good to me, others have their favorites as well. It is easy and sounds good.

6. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

I use NI Maschine for drums and other things I want to sequence, It will work inside a DAW, although I don't use it that way. I use it as a drum machine on steroids.

I like the Abbey Road drum sounds for some things, they sound very real. I also use bits and pieces of the other kits and other instruments. A lot of it is geared for hip-hop, but there is plenty of traditional stuff too. It sounds very good indeed.

I like how easy it is to move the drum hits just a bit behind the beat for some of the snare stuff, change volume on riffs etc to make them sound more natural (i.e. not perfect).

Lots of other great sounds.

The only MIDI I use is to synch Maschine to my stand alone HD multi-track. A couple of clicks to change it from record synch to playback synch

7. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

If you have EZDrummer, Sweetwater has a crossgrade offer to Superior drummer right now for $99. Really good deal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.