Opinions about this approach to a kid's first guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RoscoeElegante, Nov 15, 2015.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

2. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

I don't have any direct experience with them, but they seem awesome. I would have loved to have had a tool like this when I was a kid learning to play.

3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wouldn't do it. If running scales was all there was to learning the guitar, then it'd be a possibility. Kids these days have little enough patience when learning The Old Gray Mare and the rest of the ancient songs in Hal Leonard, I can't imagine that what that thing does would be bearable.

Way too people learn by trading licks, then get bored or frustrated when they can't get beyond Proud Mary (or whatever the current power chord master work is). I think a more traditional format, including formal lessons, works much better. At least it gives the student recognizable songs and some foundation in theory to build on.

4. MDMachiavelli

How would this guitar not help? Maybe I missed your point but does any of what you said have to with whether that guitar is a good tool?

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't understand your objection to my response. By all means, if it seems like a good idea to you, go for it. As I said, I wouldn't do it, and I outlined my reasoning.

I'll leave you to it, I'll not get involved in another contentious thread on this subject.

6. MDMachiavelli

I wasn't trying to be contentious, just asking a question. Didn't mean to get you all bent.

I was just saying I didn't understand your response.

7. Zender

Zender Tele-Meister

I played football in school back when I was young. Today I'm in my 50s and I regret that I had not chosen to play in the high school band. Even if I had just played the triangle I would still have learned more about music than I know now. Plus the fact that you can play music for 80 years but your football career ends when school ends.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd say a $100 electric with a cheapo amp and lessons would be a better investment towards success. Just my opinion of course. Both me and my step daughter went this route.

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I still believe, IMHO, that learning to read and play is learning a particular instrument.
    With a somewhat expensive guitar and learning licks, "powerchords" that's all you learn.

The sightly more traditional approach empowers a student to work things out.
    Also scales are the foundation for creative playing.
    How much more empowering for a student than a 1/2 chord and something like "Smoke on the Water" usually taught incorrectly.

Developing arm muscles, a callous or three, on a nylon string will also see
    if he has the ability to stick with it.

10. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I would go the traditional route, for the "empowerment" reasons offered by Tonetele. However, I would emphasize strongly that the guitar and genre should be things that will encourage the student to really want to learn - with the aid of an appropriate teacher. - Whatever keeps him/her interested.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I can see potential in it, but it's kind of a lot of money when you don't yet know if he'll take off on it--or even which hand he's going to fret with... :D

Maybe this is more of a "kid's second guitar"?

12. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

What I plan on doing for my son

13. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't, but from the demos I've seen, it does a lot more than scales. Ultimately, though, all it does is help you see where the relevant notes are. Which is great if you don't know, and not quite as great for getting to know them.

Whereas proper instruction will get you a lot more.

14. JReazor

JReazor Tele-Holic

I saw an add from either MF or GC, maybe both. The single pickup version of the Fretlight is on sale for right around $200. Might be worth looking in to.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Here is my step daughter's daughter: Yes, that is a strat mini. The same one that my wife learned on and then my step daughter.

Attached Files:

16. KeithJ

KeithJ Tele-Meister

One of my biggest problems with these is that it trains you to stare at your fretboard, exactly like you shouldn't be doing. I used to own one of their teles and it was a cheap knockoff at best, and the plastic fretboard kept wanting to come unglued from the neck. Also, you have to keep buying the software and songs and stuff. Why would you want to do that when you can get so much for free online? I think you can get a much better quality, longer lasting guitar for a kidfor the same or even less money, point them at some youtube videos, and they'll be MUCH better served.

17. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

+1

18. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

My Old School-osity gods have been appeased

I was thinkin' pretty much what most have been saying here. Plus, while the kid has his generation's attraction to electronics, he's pretty old-school himself. He'd rather draw by hand than use any e-draw program. Just wanted to see if there was more to this gizmo approach than I was assuming.

Which brings up another question, one I should probably post as its own thread: What are the best ways to teach a kid to play/discover his own pace of learning? I don't know, generally, because I never had any proper instruction. I just learned some songs, fooled around a lot and found that X and Y sounded good, learned some more songs, learned some scales, blundered into some other cool chords/sounds, etc. I'd like to provide a degree and type of guidance suited to his needs, but not over-structure/over-guide on this. I know that the balance is individual to the kid, but is there any advice I should know about that might not occur to me?

Thanks again.

19. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

hand them a guitar, tech them a powerchord and point them to youtube. Then leave them to it. Worked great here...

20. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

+1 KeithJ. I regret not learning to play without looking at the frets. I really need to unlearn it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.