opinion about how weight effects your relationship with your guitar

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bluesensationist, Jul 16, 2018.

Would you keep it or sell it?

1. Keep it

43 vote(s)
    81.1%
  2. Sell it

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i have found out the heavier the better,favor mahogany body and neck. Same with amps. weight will never be a factor in my tone..ever

2. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

I will admit that at my age, and after playing out 28 yrs. in clubs, dance halls, and concert stages for my years, weight does factor into my liking guitars more than others.

I have over 50 guitars in my collection, and I have 4 of them that are kind of my go to guitars because of their weight.

I have a '99 Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top Classic Strat, and an '03 Tom Anderson Hollow T Drop Top that both weigh in at about 6 1/2 lbs.

I also have a '07 Fender '57 AVRI Strat and an '08 Gibson LP Standard Chambered, and both come in at about 7 lbs. 9 oz.

To me the weight does make a difference in me wanting to spend time with them hanging around my neck any long period of time.

The fact is the 2 Tom Anderson guitars a 2 of my best playing and sounding guitars in my collection.

The fact that they're both light really helps put them above most of the best guitars in my collection.

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

life is about fulfilling dreams. you thought that the girl at the bar was perfect. you brought her home and getting to know her, one of her breasts is lopsided, she has funny teeth and she is on a boatload of pharma. Make it easy for you and her and let her go... she is not for you. For penance, you must listen to the original recording of Merle Haggard's Make Up and Faded Blue Jeans 10 times consecutively...

'the last thing you needed, was somebody messing up your mind'.... go find the right one.

also, consider falling in love with a 69 thinline... lean at the hip and she got that zip.

Owenmoney, DHart and Bluesensationist like this.
  4. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Get a 3" wide leather strap and forget about the weight. I played a LP Custom for almost 20 years, I guarantee it weighed more than your Tele (probably closer to 11 or 12 lbs). I don't have the LP anymore but I use the strap on my bass.

That Tele should be just fine. If you really like the way it plays... keep it. A different one may be lighter but may not speak to you like this one.

Tommy Biggs and Bluesensationist like this.
  5. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

What bothers me about a guitar is not the weight, but the balance. I can't stand a neck heavy guitar that I constantly have to readjust.

I have a Les Paul that is probably between 9 and 10 lbs, and an SG that weighs about 6 lbs. I reach for the LP 90% of the time. It sits more comfortably because it has all the weight in the badonkadonk, so it balances nicely.

Granted, I don't have any neck or back problems (thankfully). If I did, I might look at things a little differently.

6. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

This is why I don't weigh guitars - just another thing to obsess about and get in the way of enjoying them. Plus I don't own scales, so there's that too.

7. bob mason

bob mason TDPRI Member

Strap on a lp for 10 minutes, the tele will feel real lite

TeleBrew likes this.
  8. Bluesensationist

Bluesensationist TDPRI Member

Haha that’s the comment of the day.

Thanks for all the input everyone, and I agree about the balance. it does sit right at this weight. I’ll feel it out a little more. I’ll probably try to play some lighter guitars and just see what feels right.

I’ve posted it on reverb at a price that I don’t think will move fast ($1599) now and I’ll have a little time to make up my mind. There are a lot of AVRI 52s out there and a few of the same model as mine for cheaper so I don’t think it’ll sell tomorrow or anything.

Again thanks for the input, I know a million people ask questions like this.

9. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

So, I'm changing my vote now after your last comment. If you're not sure about it enough to the point where you're pulling to put it up for sale, just sell it. You'll always wonder, and one of the main points of gear is getting what you want so you don't have to play the "what if" game.

getbent and Bluesensationist like this.
  10. Bluesensationist

Also an interesting side note:
    I was watching the video of the guy who was selling Jeff Buckley’s guitar after he died (tragic) and he said it was interesting because the guitar wasn’t really special in any way. Just a medium to heavy weight 1983 am std tele.
    It made me feel a little silly about wanting the perfect guitar when such an amazing artist just kind of picked a random tele and used it for everything. I definitely feel like there is a glorification of the guitar itself that didn’t used to exist.

Asmith and getbent like this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Option 2: Turn that gal out! I like your spirit!

12. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

As long as your new girl doesn’t gain anymore weight over the course of time, you should be fine, if she gains weight like a heifer you’ll probably play the strat more. Just my deranged view of things !

Bluesensationist likes this.
  13. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My guitars refuse to be seen in public with me until I drop at least 30 lbs.

But I did sell a guitar recently, had only had it a few months, main reason it was way heavy.

14. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Isn't that weight difference something like 167 grams?

I just found some of the kids' sliced cheese (why do I let them eat that poison?) and weighed out essentially that amount's worth of slices and stuck them under my strings on my Tele while wearing it standing. I swear I couldn't tell if there was a difference or not. At first I thought there was, but then, as I pulled them out and put them back, I didn't.

My guess from this is, like someone else said, the difference is in your head. I don't mean that in a nasty way - the difference I may or may not have perceived is no doubt in mine too.

From all of this I conclude, even if the perceived difference is real, it in effect amounts to nothing.

Or, nothing more than some sliced cheese :)

The real problem, again alluding to what someone said, is how to get the difference out of your head, now that it's in there?

This overthinking of small, essentially non-issues happens to me more than I'd usually care to admit. I find that time and distraction are miracle workers here.

And, finally, to a more real world and direct answer to your original question, I only have two electrics to hand and I find I pick up my Les Paul when I want that sound. It feels a lot heavier than my Tele. Typically I use my Tele, because I like the way it plays first, and I like the way it sounds second. Weight has nothing to do with the choice.

Hope this was in some way useful.

Pax/
    Dean

Bluesensationist likes this.
  15. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I find that heavier guitars make me dig in more and drive fast and take chances, live fast, die young and leave behind a beautiful corpse. But to each his/her own. But I also have a physical job, so a few ounces here or there on a guitar really doesn't register.

16. modavis99

modavis99 TDPRI Member

Sell it. It's already bothering you. If you don't, you'll have regret when you pick up a sub-7 pound tele that also sounds and plays awesome

17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

the weights you're talking about are nothing. don't worry about weight until it's getting above about 9 pounds, imo.

18. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Weight has never come into the equation of buying a guitar for me. If it feels right and sounds good, nothing else really matters. I've never weighed a guitar in my life, and have never found the need. It would have to be extremely heavy for me to pass it up if it met my primary criteria. Among my current collection are 5 Les Pauls and a Peavey T60. No lightweights in the bunch, but all great guitars. (weight-wise, a T60 = 2 Les Pauls, or very close)

19. WriteNoob

WriteNoob Tele-Meister

My CS is 7 1/2 lbs. It’s really a matter of the weight (barring crazy extremes) being a small part of what defines each guitar. For example, my EJ Strat weighs the same as my LP at 9 lbs. even. Which is heavy, and which light? I really believe that we’ve kind of lost sight of the goal of these guitars, with the weight thing. If it’s the best sound, for you, then you have your answer. I wouldn’t trade either my Strat, LP, or especially, my Tele for love nor money, because of how they sound, regardless of weight. My opinion, for what little it’s worth.

20. Bluesensationist

thats a beautiful story about turning salvaged timber from a house fire into a guitar. all around a beautiful collection of teles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.