Open Tunings for B-Bender Guitars

Tele-Meister
I’m getting more interested in open tunings for my B Bender Tele. They are still new to my playing so I‘m still figuring how to solo in open tuning and thinking too if I should just take the leap into learning slide guitar. So I’m reaching out here to see what others find works best with a bender guitar in open tuning. I’m guessing the answer is Open G (DGDGBD) but I don’t want to assume and I’d like to see what others find works best with the ability to pull the B string up a whole tone. Especially since I’m seriously considering a dedicated guitar for open tuning.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I’m not aware of anyone using a bender with alternative tunings.
Adrian Legg did/does a lot of interesting stuff with tuning machines.
There’s bound to be someone else.
Perhaps you could be “that guy” with the new idea!

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’m guessing the answer is Open G (DGDGBD) but I don’t want to assume and I’d like to see what others find works best with the ability to pull the B string up a whole tone.

I wonder what use a B to C# pull would have in that tuning? A half step pull is useful there. In open E, a whole step pull on the B string would give you the 6th.

strat56

Tele-Holic
whole step bends on B string in G, seems like there might be stuff that would work in the right place.
Fret 1, 4th-5th
Fret 3, 5th-6th
Fret 5, 6th-maj7
Fret 7, maj7 to b2
Fret 9, b2 to b3
Fret 11, b3 to 4

I think this is right?

nickmm

Tele-Meister
Open D or E. May be more useful .. a 6th or I to IV.

Open G give a #4 on the classic bend. Guess if you want Lydian stuff.

Silverface

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
So I’m reaching out here to see what others find works best with a bender guitar in open tuning.
Why over complicate things?

I play quite a bit of slide with a B bender and either in standard tuning or I drop the high-E to D via a Keith tuner.

I mostly play electric slide out of the "Allman Brothers School" and don't need anything more complicated - I save those for my Melobar or lap steels. If you're used to open-D and other lap steel tunings I've never seen a reason for a bender - which sounds like a crippled pedal steel in those tunings.

Tele-Meister
I ended up dedicating two guitars for alternate tunings.

A CW Tele set for Open G and easily adjustable for DADGAD, Double Drop D or even Open D.

Then a Tele Deluxe set for D Standard for additional use in C# Standard, D#/Eb Standard and Open D.

In the case of the Open G Tele, I‘ve raise the action more than I normally would to better facilitate slide. That said, I’ve got a few things to learn to play slide adequately. I’m still pretty fresh at it.