1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Open Mike Etiquette or lack thereof

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by squeezebox, Jul 29, 2010.

1. MikeS29

MikeS29 Tele-Meister

Public Praise
    Private Criticism

Words of wisdom, Lloyd. Words of wisdom.

2. squeezebox

squeezebox Former Member

Well, you are correct, we ARE Newbies to the Open Mike format.....Just wondering why we never got into it years ago. It is REALLY fun to do (and hardly any gear to tote!!)

Thank a bunch to you and to everyone for the encouragement!!!!!

Onward !!!

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

During the recording sessions for "Tears Are Not Enough," producer David Foster commented to Neil Young that his take sounded a bit flat. Neil responed, "That's my sound, man."
    In a recording session, it's quite appropriate for a producer to critique and suggest improvements. In an Open Mic, or any live setting really, no-one should be sharing their opinions of other artists, especially not sharing them with the audience.
    Was there a host for this Open Mic session? Surely the host should have said something to the guy, or at least told him to get on with his own performance.

4. hudpucker

hudpucker Tele-Meister

Piss poor form on his part. I'd have had a nice chat with him afterwards.

5. squeezebox

squeezebox Former Member

Yes..There was a host. He did a good job of moving things along, tweaking the PA for each set, but then seemed to disappear during each set and would then re-appear right before the end of each set to get the next act on stage.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've hosted jams for years. Most of my career. I also attend them quite regularly, as most of the cool ones around here are hosted by friends of mine. We're all in the same scene, have been for years, and most of us are good folks that all get along.

I have never heard of anything like you're talking about. I can tell you with absolute certainty that if that had happened to my wife with me sitting there, that dude would have found himself on the recieving end of a serious meeting. And it wouldn't have been private. I would have verbally reduced that guy to abslolute ruin right from my table, right in front of everybody.

Some people might not think that the way to handle it, but I've always said one good turn deserves another. When that guy got finished singing, and I got finished with him, it'd months, if ever, before he showed his face on a public stage again.

Treat my lady like that, and nothing is off limits. He'd need therapy when I was through dressing him down.

7. Dana

Dana Friend of Leo's

Nature of the beast, unfortunately. When you play out you have to deal with schmucks eventually.

I go to a regular jam on Sunday nights. One night I was getting up to play and some jerk says to me, 'Move it! I'm using that amp!' I calmly turned around and told him if he wanted to use this particular amp, he was going to have to move me. Guy blinked twice and walked over to the other side of the stage.

:rolleyes:

8. squeezebox

squeezebox Former Member

Well, like I said, my wife told me to play nice, so I did.

She may or may not say something to him at the next Open Mike if he is there. I'm going to leave it to her as his comments were directed at her and it is really her "battle" to fight...Even though, yeh, I'd sher LOVE to speak my mind to him too.

As another poster said, I think something needs to be said so he does not think it is OK to do that to anyone and so he realizes the proverbial consequences of his actions.

ie: There was a 15 year old girl there last night who was nervously performing for the first time ever in front of an audience. She did great, and I made a point of telling her so. I could see a scenario where "the jerk" decided to be "helpful" with her in the same way as he was with my wife and could have rattled her confidence and totally scared her away from any future Open Mikes. That would be a shame, because she was really, REALLY good!!

9. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

A couple of my buddies are great guitar teachers and periodically bring in their better students to do an open mic when they think they are ready. Sometimes the kids are pretty young, and if someone pulled that in front of them, I guarantee you there would be more than a few people who would have had a little "talk" with the guy.

10. squeezebox

squeezebox Former Member

I guess I'm just an old Hippie at heart (or at least my wife is), you now, Peace and Love and turn the other cheek and all that other outdated stuff....Just didn't want to ruin the whole scene for everybody, which I think that kind of response would have done.

We decided to take the high road as they say and let Karma catch up with him

Like I said, if she wants to, my wife will "dress him down" next time we see him.....But....in PRIVATE....

Just because he was jerk does not mean we are automatically in some way "allowed" to be jerks too....I just don't buy into that kind of philosophy

To each his own

11. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey, let me show everyone how professional and good I am by pointing out someone else's negatives. That was tacky. You're not being thin skinned. I probably would have let it slide too while being annoyed with it.

When I was hosting an open mic someone did that to someone else and I turned his mic off. I was right next to the stage at the sound board and said "sorry, I thought you were going to sing".
    Everyone got four songs. When I wouldn't give one guy a fifth song he called me an open mic **** on the mic. I told him to guess how many songs he'd get next time.

My personal rules for myself only: I NEVER offer criticism. If asked I'll give my thoughts and take into account the experience of the performer. I always temper my criticism because I'm not good at giving it. Open mics are about encouragement, not discouragement.
    I'm really not good with the giving criticism thing. A friend asked me recently what I thought of his bands new album. I had about ten problems with it...and I only told him one. He hasn't spoken to me in about 8 months.

12. johnreardon

johnreardon Tele-Afflicted

Silly uncalled for actions by that chap. Never come across that sort of behaviour at any of the jams I go to.

Next time he's there, ask your wife to dedicate one of her songs to him, thanking him for his valuable help. Make sure she raises her eyebrows when she does it.

13. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bet that didn't anger Neil. They probably laughed. No one is harder on Neil Young than Neil Young. Besides, that's a producer. The producer of our album stopped me in a middle of a John Lennon-ish scream to say "C'mon. I know you can do that better". And I did. That wasn't the only thing he criticized me for during the recording. But I'm a big boy. I'm a professional cartoonist printed daily. Years of hate mail has toughened my skin.

But telling Young he's flat is like telling Keith Richard he's sloppy. But to me, I don't take "that take was a bit flat" or "I know you can do better than that" as criticism. I take that as honestly telling me I can do better. How is being told you can do better an insult? In a way it's a compliment.

14. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

That's about right. If it was actually constructive criticism, it was probably meant well but had all the social skills of road kill. If you're being euphemistic then the guy's got some serious self-esteem issues and decided to take them out on you.

Reminds me of a guy I used to see at open stages and shows. I always knew when we did well because he'd come up afterwards and say, "you guys sucked!" I'd always smile sweetly at him and say, "Thank you."

Pissed him off big-time. :twisted:

15. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I think it just makes him look like an ass. Shake it off and move on.

16. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

What

did you have to say about Steve's tone? I've seen him dozens of times and don't see how he could improve his tone.

17. squeezebox

squeezebox Former Member

Amen and Agreed 100%

We're shakin' and movin'....And looking forward to the next Open Mike....(And Jerk Radar will be on next time just in case....would that be JADAR??)

18. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Which may have been followed by a nice punch in the nose.

19. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

I would have asked him if he did requests, and if he knew Stephen Bishop's version of "I Gave My Love a Cherry."

20. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

hes probably a troll on an internet forum too...theres always some "expert" out there who wants to critique everyone else...when they give their .02 worth, theyre not overcharging...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.