Open G songs to learn that are not blues?

BFcaster

Tele-Meister
Sheryl Crow has some open G stuff on either ‘Sheryl Crow’ or ‘The Globe Sessions’. One of my bands covered some of her stuff. I think ‘My Favorite Mistake’ is.....I need to re-learn her stuff.
I used to do half of a gig in Open G the the other standard. Sheryl, Black Crows and Stones.

Martian

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
Lou Reed said that you can do a lot with 3 chords. try some of his songs Television just might fit the bill Tom Verlaine liked to drone, The Modern Lovers get kinna open tuning -ish "Road Runner Road Runner, going thousand miles an hour Road Runner Road Runner, in the New Jersy night, radio on Road Runner Road Runner, radio on...
Television and the Modern Lovers mentioned in one response? NICE!

screefer

Tele-Afflicted
Stefan Grossman's "Closer walk with Thee" and "Working on the new Railroad"
They're in his Country blues book but aren't your typical blues.
Very sweet tunes and a blast to play!

BackwaterJunction

Tele-Meister
Great for Stones, though some are in other open tunings. Gimme Shelter, capoed up a bit works for me. And Honky Tonk Woman, Brown Sugar and Start Me Up are in G

Try some Zeppelin. When the Levee Breaks is an easy win. Also In My Time Of Dying

Status Quo, Down Down just falls into place nicely in open G

Stones and Quo would have been my suggestions.

Status Quo have Down Down, Rain, and Mystery Song all in Open G plus a capo, which are fun to explore.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
Frampton's "Penny for Your Thoughts" is in open G, deceptively easy to play, and decidedly not bluesy.

Mark617

Tele-Holic
Lou Reed said that you can do a lot with 3 chords. try some of his songs Television just might fit the bill Tom Verlaine liked to drone, The Modern Lovers get kinna open tuning -ish "Road Runner Road Runner, going thousand miles an hour Road Runner Road Runner, in the New Jersy night, radio on Road Runner Road Runner, radio on...
1-2-3-4
1-2-3-4
Ya gotta count it off first. Modern lovers were great . As attested by the bands that were formed afterwards

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
1-2-3-4
1-2-3-4
Ya gotta count it off first. Modern lovers were great . As attested by the bands that were formed afterwards

:(:cry::(:( I screwed up again , maybe I was talking the modern lovers and thinking the sex pistols deconstruction of Johnny B. Goode and Road Runner with my ostomy:cry::cry::cry: from the great Rock and Roll Swindle,
beautiful chaos , I do like the way that Matlock Cook and Jones sounded together

Mark617

Tele-Holic
BA31F8EC-14A1-49E6-9541-08DE6FDAA828.png
:(:cry::(:( I screwed up again , maybe I was talking the modern lovers and thinking the sex pistols deconstruction of Johnny B. Goode and Road Runner with my ostomy:cry::cry::cry: from the great Rock and Roll Swindle,
beautiful chaos , I do like the way that Matlock Cook and Jones sounded together

Jakeboy

Tele-Afflicted
Squuezebox by The Who.

Monkey Off My Back by Aerosmith.

Let the Music Do The Talking by the Joe Perry Project.

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
Great for Stones, though some are in other open tunings. Gimme Shelter, capoed up a bit works for me. And Honky Tonk Woman, Brown Sugar and Start Me Up are in G

Try some Zeppelin. When the Levee Breaks is an easy win. Also In My Time Of Dying

"Traveling Riverside Blues" and "Dancing Days" are also in open-G, and loads of fun to play. During my college band days, we used to do Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down" -- I don't know if Petty played it open-G, but sure is fun to play rhythm guitar in that tuning.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Come and Go Blues, Allman Bros, although called blues, doesn't to me have the typical bluesy sounding pattern...you can do it in Open D as well, with same fingerings
Great tune. There are some nice videos of Gregg playing this solo on an acoustic guitar and singing, one from an early Letterman show (or pilot) and one other.