Open D guitar

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by southernrock, Apr 14, 2015.

1. southernrock

southernrock TDPRI Member

Hey all,

I have a Taylor 110ce and I love it. I am also playing 1/2 the time in open D tuning and have grown lazy and want a separate guitar for standard tuning and one for open D.
    I will use the Taylor for standard tuning. . .so, what would be your recommendation for a good acoustic guitar to use for open tuning? $300 budget

Thanks,
    Jorey

2. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Find a used Yamaha. Even brand new Yamaha is a bargain, always has been. There's no snob appeal, but that's a good thing.

3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

I agree with dog fart. I've had two Yamahas and they have both been more than worth what I paid for them. They really are under appreciated.

4. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I've played a couple of those 110s - nice guitar. I play about half open tuning and half standard on both elctrics and acoustics. I would say that the Taylor might well be better suited open tunings than standard - so get a Yamaha for your standard tuning. ;)

5. southernrock

Thanks Tony, I had thought that as well. . .what if the Taylor was better for open tuning?

I play about half and half as well.

Jorey

6. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Just out of interest, I've got four flattops. Two are dedicated to standard tuning fingerpicking, an old Maton M300 and a 1934 Gibson L-00, and two are dedicated to slide, a Maton 225 with a cedar top and a Bourgeois Martin Simpson Sig. The Bourgeois was purpose designed for open tunings, and is an absolute killer - but not cheap. The cedar top on the Maton is good for open tuning, and many inexpensive cedar topped dreads I've tried have also seemed well-suited. So, if you want to keep the Taylor in standard, an inexpensive cedar top might be worth looking at for open tuning.

7. CNBaker

CNBaker TDPRI Member

If your playing is mainly south of the 7th fret, I would recommend a Harmony Sovereign in the under $300 range. The action tends to be on the high side on most all of them, but the sound is great.

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on Yamaha. FG series have been going for decades.

I have 3 yamahas.

9. telen00b

telen00b Tele-Meister

I've picked up three Yamaha FG310's in the past year for $60-$80 each. Great playing and sounding guitars, especially for the money. Yamaha has always been like that, for all instruments. +1 from me

10. southernrock

Looks like the Yamaha's have ìt!

The Epiphone aj200ce looks good as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.