Open Asus2 tuning for B-bender & slide

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by dancehall, Jun 15, 2021.

1. dancehall

dancehall TDPRI Member

I've never been much of a slide player, but got a sudden desire to get better since I'm already trying to fake pedal steel with my B-bender anyway. And, since my most common move is to play an Asus2 shape and bend the B string up to a major third, I thought, well, why not simply tune to open Asus2?

Tried it, seems to work great. Not only for using the bender, but because you can play your basic sus2 chord over any minor chord, which, I never really got how to play over minor chords well in an open major tuning.

But I thought it was weird that I'm finding nothing much online about open Asus2, or in fact any open sus2 tuning. I'm pretty sure I haven't stumbled onto a brilliant new idea here. Any reason this isn't more of a thing? Is there a similar tuning that accomplishes the same things, but better?

scook likes this.
  2. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Holic

I was shown Gsus2 tuning years ago by a lap steel player. Bending the second string behind the bar definitely does emulate that pedal steel sound.

I think the reason this tuning isn't as prevalent as C6 tuning is that it's much easier to play major and minor chords in C6. To play minor chords in sus2, you have to do a half-step bend behind the bar, and unless you're precise, it can be out of tune.

3. dancehall

dancehall TDPRI Member

That makes sense for lap steel, but for a regular guitar with a B-bender C6 doesn't seem to be particularly good, right? I don't know too much about C6 but it's hard to immediately see the benefit. (do people play slant-bar chords on non-lap guitars?)

4. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Holic

No, it's not particularly suited to a standard guitar with a B-bender. On lap steel, it's great. Low to high, tuning is C-E-G-A-C-E. Major chords on the bottom 3 strings, minor chords on the top three. No slant bar needed.

BB likes this.
  5. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

NO- Two different worlds. A Lap Steel player can't use his fingers to form chords. Different Instruments . Yes Lap Steelers slant the bar as do Pedal Steelers. They don't change root chords by slanting the bar , they change a note inside the already formed chord

Adding a B or G Bender to a SPANISH GUITAR ( EADGBE ) is IN ADDITION to what we already know, it doesn't replace what we know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.