1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oops I did it again...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Brian Krashpad, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Old ('80s) Marshall "JCM 800" combo solid state series amps keep coming up locally for chump change. I got the latest, a 75W two-channel 1x12', "75 Reverb" model 5275, for $190 with a non-original two-button foot pedal:

[​IMG]

The other two I have are a 20W 1x10" single channel "Lead 20" model 5002, and a two-channel 50W 1x12" model 5210:

[​IMG]

The band I was in during 1989-90 has a reunion show this Friday in a small club, I think I will probably use the two 1x12"s in a mini-stack. Even though they don't mic amps, I'm sure it should be loud enough. At the last Crash Pad practice with drums and bass, I used just the Lead 20 (albeit up off the floor for better carry) and had no problem being heard, even though the bass cab was a vintage Ampeg 8x10" fridge with a modern 200W head.

Here's a post-practice shot (my Sovtek head, that I usually use with a 4x12 or 1x15, needs a re-tube) showing the Lead 20 up atop (but not connected to) my 4x12 in the background; the Marshall 1x12" with its back to us on the stand is the 5210:

[​IMG]

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  2. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

The Lead 20 (the whole Lead series) is a killer amp. Just saying.

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  3. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

You're preachin' to the choir, sir! They have a very organic distortion sound, not "fizzy" or "fly in a bottle" like some solid states.

Thus me now having 3 different examples!

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

"Oops I did it again..."

Good one Britney. I was looking at one of those a few months ago. So close but I never pulled the trigger.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.