Oops, I did it again

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by schoolie, Oct 27, 2021.

1. schoolie

schoolie Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

This M-40 was a closeout at Sam Ash. I really like it so far, but I don't think they shipped it in the correct Guild case. The action is not great for me, 3/32" low E to less than 4/64" high E.. I don't think I want to work on the saddle myself, so I'll get it set up. I really like the size and tone though.

Joshiquad, El Serio, Buell and 12 others like this.
  2. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Pretty. I know nothing about Guild acoustics though.

schoolie likes this.
  3. schoolie

schoolie Tele-Holic

Thanks! This is a concert size with a Spruce top.

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

0.060 high E to 0.090 low at the 12th fret is about what I would consider nice low fingerstyle action. I'd be looking for maybe 0.005 of relief. For a bluegrasser or hard strummer I might go up ten thou on both but those are pretty close to my normal target values.

Nice looking guitar, I haven't played one but it should be good.

BB, schoolie and telemnemonics like this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice guitar if not my preference, love Guild though.
    I got a steal on the same model used and flipped it circa 1990, sold it for $300 IIRC.
    Maybe not the same model but same basic small concert size Guild.
    Before taking it to a tech, have you checked relief?
    How do you play?
    Unless your style is first five frets hammering chords, you need very little relief, and it may only need a slight truss rod tightening tweak to get the action down a little.

I think we often forget that if a guitar is set up in a good factory with skilled techs doing the setup; the saddle is not going to grow bigger and need to be made smaller to return it to the good setup it had last month.
    What changes is the neck relief during shipping and warehouse storage.

Many many posts here insist YOU DON'T ADJUST ACTION HEIGHT WITH THE TRUSS ROD!

But if the only shift away from a perfect setup was the neck relief changing due to more or less humidity, then that's the spec that is out of whack!
    Fingerstyle action really needs to be tailored to player RH style.
    If you really rip the bottom strings for big attack, and do play more in the lower frets area, then maybe you need a generous relief and the saddle needs to be milled down.
    But if the "tech" doesn't ask to see you play and do a short interview, get the hell out of there!

If your RH style is more light touch and not so much loud or snapping, I'd set it up with .004- .005 relief and see how you like that.
    I'm guessing that the setup from Guild assumed more relief than .004 when setting saddle height, just because that's industry average for all players and to prevent a buzzing guitar that kills sales.
    Reduce the relief to pretty flat and you might get a nice low action.

OTOH if you like to slam the strings and seldom play above the 12th fret, BUT, expect really low action, maybe the saddle does need stock removal.

Happy Enchilada, Greg70 and schoolie like this.
  6. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

Just reminded me of a song.

Carry on.

7. schoolie

schoolie Tele-Holic

Thanks for the tips! I'm used to setting up electrics. The action actually feels pretty comfortable, so maybe I'll keep it as is. The neck relief is currently a touch under 0.010". I'll try reducing this a bit more to 0.006". Thanks again!

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I actually use pretty close to the same setup values for both acoustics and electrics unless the owner wants something special - 60 to 90 is a good starting point, I wouldn't go any lower. Ten thou is my upper limit for relief, less is generally better but requires good fretwork.

I find most new guitars have higher nut action than I really like but again, that's a conservative setup from the factory. 0.014 (high) to 0.018 (low) is a reasonable action at the first fret for most people, remember that acoustic players spend most of their time down there.

El Serio, schoolie and telemnemonics like this.
  9. schoolie

schoolie Tele-Holic

Thank you, Freeman! The more I play it, the more I think I like action as is. Maybe I'll take 1/64 off the bass side at some point... The nut slots are actually perfect, and I can't find any problems with the fret work. I don't plan to do any heavy picking, mostly fingers.

10. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Man, you had to post that. I had a similar model, except for a natural top, no burst, and I sold it to buy a Gretsch hollowbody. I love the Gretsch and have gigged it for more than a few years now, but now and then, I get the itch for one of those small-bodied Guilds. Great sounding guitars and once set up right, great playing guitars.

schoolie likes this.
  11. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I googled up the specs on that guitar. You done good.

schoolie likes this.
  12. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

Yeah me too

schoolie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.