Oooops. On my latest project.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by reddy2300, Apr 26, 2018.

1. reddy2300

reddy2300 Tele-Meister

I'm building the USMC tribute Telecaster.

When I cut the neck pocket, I didn't have the neck. I routed it to "specs". I put the neck and bridge on last night and discovered that the neck sits too far up out of the pocket and the strings fret out from front to back. (Yep, it's bad. Lol.)

Is the solution to the problem to re-rout the neck pocket on a painted and polished body?

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Have you measured your neck dimensions to be sure? If it is indeed too thick (should be 1" at the heel to the apex of the radius), you could fix it a couple of different ways.

1. Scribe a line on the neck heel to the proper dimensions and remove the material to make the heel the correct height. You'd have to be careful to remove material evenly to keep from introducing an angle.

2. Go ahead and rout the pocket deeper. Just tape down thin cardboard on the body top to keep from mucking it up with the router base. If you do this, though, you'll have to glue more wood in if you ever swap necks.

Lake Placid Blue and nojazzhere like this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes it can be routed deeper. You can get a stewmac bit or similar. These are 1/2" deep. Then the router bit can follow the neck cavity to go deeper. I'd suggest you make an auxiliary base to keep the router from tipping. Other methods would be to use a forstner bit and chisel to remove the material. You want 5/8" deep for a 1" neck.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...s_and_Bits/Bits/Ball_Bearing_Router_Bits.html

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=281835894541

4. reddy2300

reddy2300 Tele-Meister

That bearing bit is what I have. I have the 1" version, as well. The 1/2" is what I use to rout pockets and PU cavities. The 1" does body sides.

When I did the first Tele I built, I actually "overshot" the depth and went to 11/16". It turned out to be perfect for the neck. I guess I'm at it again.

Do you mean thin cardboard like from a cereal box or something? Would it be enough to put a layer of masking tape on the body to protect the finish?

It just seems "risky" to go back and rout a "finished" body. Lol. I wanted to be sure I wasn't going into nutjob territory.

5. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

with such a small amount of wood to remove use a sharp chisel

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Wouldn't that be difficult to maintain a consistent depth?

reddy2300 likes this.
  7. devrock

devrock TDPRI Member

This seems like an easy fix...

nojazzhere and reddy2300 like this.
  8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That would be my main concern with a chisel. As Roger pointed out above, basically your two choices are to thin the neck heel or deepen the neck pocket.

Of the two, with slight additional risk to your finish, using a router on the flat body's surface to achieve a flat-bottom neck pocket, is the easiest, and most likely successful approach. The risk to the finish on the top is minimal, and controllable to nearly 100% confidence, with careful planning, and even more careful execution.

And yes, thin cereal-box type cardboard, not thick corrugated, would be good protection for the body top. If you are certain of the paint job quality, such that there is no worry about pulling paint up with tape adhesive, multiple layers of say, 2" wide masking tape would serve to protect the finish, also. Make sure your router base is clean and smooth, and that your guitar body is well secured to the bench top when you attack it.

wadeeinkauf and I_build_my_own like this.
  9. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

I've cut a few pockets to 11/16 but my homemade necks are fat.

+1 on the router recut approach.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

It sure would for ME!

Newbcaster and jkingma like this.
  11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.