OnStage RS7030 12-space Rack

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by ZenGuitarist, Sep 28, 2020.

1. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I was looking to get an inexpensive small rack and the OnStage RS7030 seems to be the best budget choice. It has 12 rack spaces which is plenty for me and I doubt I would be putting gear in it that weighs more than half of its advertised 75 lb. limit.

Does anyone have any feedback to share about it or alternatives for me to consider? I don't want to waste money on it if it's junk.

2. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It will work fine in a home studio where it sits in one place, but will not last if you intend to gig with it. On Stage Stands makes pretty decent stuff for the most part.

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  3. ZenGuitarist

Thanks for the feedback. It will just stay put in my home studio.

4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I’m sure it’s fine. I have a bunch of On Stage gear and it’s all fine for the price. That said, do you really need 12 spaces? I have two of this guy’s 4u racks in my studio, and I can’t rave enough about the quality, price, and service.

https://reverb.com/shop/melodic-roo...s-share&utm_campaign=shop&utm_content=1203086

FBA25A16-1247-4AFE-8FF3-71E5A0D4EE2E.jpeg F2CD1DB6-6BA8-4AC0-8CBD-9BFE4B4AA466.jpeg 21B6E7A8-E124-4335-8E93-B30D3B286080.jpeg B33AC315-88EA-4D6E-8099-0AA99660D4E4.jpeg 74B5059C-568C-4A76-A8FE-80111BEB0EC6.jpeg

I started off with a similar cheap rack like that, and it worked fine but eventually you get rid of the futon and get a nice couch.

studio, Ed Driscoll and ZenGuitarist like this.
  5. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

BTW the desk and side cart are On Stage

studio, nedorama and ZenGuitarist like this.
  6. ZenGuitarist

A 6U rack would be fine for what I need - 4 slots now and some space for future expansion. But the only size OnStage seems to sell is the 12U one and I want to keep the cost down while I do some experimenting. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I have a few of their guitar stands and they've held up well for home use.

It looks like you have a well laid out studio with some interesting gear. The Sam Adams is a nice decorative touch.

Those 4U racks sure do look nice. Now you got me thinking . . .

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I made my own home studio racks from Oak board. 2x 4U. You can buy the rack strip cheap..

if not travelling/gigging, it’s a nice, simple DIY woodwork project.

Mine also bring the monitors up to a good ear level. Like Chud’s setup.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    ZenGuitarist and suthol like this.
  8. ZenGuitarist

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I've now ordered an OnStage RS7030 and I think that's a good and inexpensive starting point for me. If it works out well I'll consider moving up to a more elegant solution.

9. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Same - I built this 3-bay rack/monitor shelf out of pine boards from Home Depot and rack rails. If I were making it again, I'd make the top board longer to have space for two 27" monitors. 3 units tall is a good height for me and has reduced eye strain - I look straight ahead vs. up or down at the monitors.
    Rack gear is all 19" wide; I made all three bays 19 1/4" wide to allow for play in moving things around slightly.
    2020 studio.jpeg

studio and ZenGuitarist like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.