Online Retailers Who Discount Prices and Include 'Weight' In Their Description

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGuy53, Apr 24, 2019.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Sweetwater is my 'go to' Tele retailer for several reasons: a) they post actual photos, b) they post actual weight, and c) I can usually get 10% off retail price, simply by asking.

One can also grab 15-18% off from Guitar Center, and its many subsidiaries, but sans photos and weights.

Are there other online retailers who post actual photos and weights in their listings? If so, who are they?

bsman likes this.
  2. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

3. FenderGuy53

4. Kylote

Kylote TDPRI Member

I do wish more retailers put pictures of the actual guitars and their weights. I do like that Sweetwater does it with some of theirs.

Especially as someone that likes sunburst and other finishes that display the wood grain, being able to see the grain and how it looks on the exact guitar you are ordering is nice. Also, since they moved to Pau Ferro on some guitars, which in the pictures I've looked at can either look like a convincing rosewood or some sort of cherry color depending on the piece, is nice knowing how dark the Pau Ferro will be. Also yes, the big one being weight. Being able to pick the lightest of that particular guitar and finish is a good perk. I've seen pretty big variances on Sweetwater where one is 6 lbs. 6 oz. and they also have one that is the same model and color that is 8 lbs. I'd hate to buy it without that data and get sent the 8 lbs. one when they have a 6 lbs. one in their warehouse as well.

ucnick, bsman and FenderGuy53 like this.
  5. FenderGuy53

Yep. Me, too.

Also, on 'burst finishes, sometimes the wood grain in multi-piece bodies doesn't match, making the seams very visible to the eye, and sometimes, the body edges look "framed" rather than blended.

Also, sometimes the finish isn't evenly applied, and looks thicker in some parts.

And sometimes there are weird grain patterns on the headstock and fretboard.

This is big for me, too. While it's nice to get a deeper discount at the Guitar Center affiliates, it's also a crapshoot getting something you'll actually like!

I'd rather take the modest discount, knowing that I'll see the exact Tele that is being shipped.

Kylote likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I know of no other retailer who :

- posts pics of the actual guitars

-the weights of those guitars

-will give you 10% off just by asking

- and no other retailer that I have had to file a restraining order against in a court of law simply so they’ll leave me alone post-sale. :mad:

On the other hand, there are 1 million reasons why it’s great to live in the Great Lakes State and usually none of those reasons have to do with bordering Indiana. :eek:

But in this case it’s always 1 day shipping and never more than two days after you place your order with one of their stalkers/“sales engineers”.

Oh - and they give you a bag of filling extractors (Bit O’ Honey) too.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    FenderGuy53 likes this.
  7. FenderGuy53

Yeah, I forgot about the 'prize inside'! :rolleyes:

8. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

There are several Russian bride sites that SHOULD include weight but dont!

Owenmoney and jimash like this.
  9. Manothemtns

Manothemtns TDPRI Member

Wildwood Guitars in Louisville, Colorado, was immediately mentioned as a shop that posts valuable spec information... including weight and neck profile dimensions. I've been all over the internet and have not found another independent shop that does same. Sweetwater is a great middle of the road option...lower prices, discounts, sales, but Wildwood, while carrying only high-end gear does have an adequate used inventory where they post the same specs as with new inventory...and, there's wiggle room on their used offerings not available on their new stuff. There's a lot to be said for knowing precisely what you're getting. Unfortunately, that level of attention to detail comes at a significant premium.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

10. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I bought my Martin D Jr e from Sweetwater and was able to choose the guitar by the weight and grain pattern. Bought the lightest of the four which also had the top grain I had guessed would be the best top. I ended up with a great sounding D Jr. The Sweetwater set was exceptional. I always have to set up any new guitar and the Martin came set up beautifully. Sweetwater impressed me w/ that purchase.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    FenderGuy53 likes this.
  11. FenderGuy53

and what is that significant premium?

12. Manothemtns

Manothemtns TDPRI Member

Meaning exclusive high-end with very little haggle room. There's more wiggle room on their stock of excellent+ condition only used guitars. I've never seen anything advertised with more than extremely light play wear. Great shop to buy used guitars from. I used to live in Colorado and frequent the shop.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  13. FenderGuy53

Very cool. I could buy used and be happy with THAT arrangement.

14. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

American musical supply does

15. FenderGuy53

Cool. Will check them out.

16. FenderGuy53

Just checked the site; not seein' it, ejphotos. :(

17. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

Hmmm...they always have in the past lol

18. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Warmoth has actual photos from several angles and a painfully detailed description that includes weight.

19. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

Dave's Guitar Shop sell a lot of used stuff which is what I usually buy from them. All their used guitars have extensive photos. Many guitars over about $700 have the weight listed. Being used there is no tax and free shipping.

I don't know about discounts, the prices are usually competitive to local craigslist while the quality is more reliable with proper photos. I never bothered asking about discounts.

Here's one I'd be interested in if it was a different color.

https://davesguitar.com/products/paul-reed-smith/s2-mira-semi-hollow-19/

[​IMG]

Used 2019 Mira Semihollow $895 Black, 6.2 pounds, With gig bag, Excellent

They stock most big brands, affordable through collectors with thriving used inventory.

They even bothered to photograph this Lyon Strat that's going for $79. Was surprised they went that cheap since they have guitars costing $10k and up. Even a $120,000 Gibson Mandolin lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  20. FenderGuy53

More interested in new, complete Tele's for sale, but thanks for your input.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.