Online ordering....Grrr

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Nice. I get it. I changed grocery stores because the one in my neighborhood is overrun with pickup service shoppers with giant sized carts and they get really defensive about their space.
We will never return to normal shopping, lots of people like having someone do their shopping for them, and even having their stuff delivered to their front door. I (we) my wife and I like doing our own shopping and never employed the pro shoppers. We dropped nearly 400 bucks at Costco yesterday. We only do that on occasion, my wife watches the ads and we go buy up a bunch of stuff all at once. (That's her story, it seems like we go to the store a LOT to me) ;)

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I telework a good bit. My family is away this week, so I decided I would go to Dunkin Donuts for an iced coffee to see an actual person. It's about 2 miles from my house but still in the neighborhood. I get there, I'm the only person in line and I still had to wait behind the "app" orders. Grr. I'm sick of this. Make mine cause I'm right in front of you and I made the effort to be there.

This isn't the only time, just the only time I felt like typing this in.
Same thing at Firehouse Subs. It is faster if I place my order online before I go.

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
Service industries formerly sold experiences as much as products.

Now the model seems to be about selling the perception of convenience, and reducing skilled labor and lower labor costs while keeping product at the same price points. They are slowly and successfully externalizing the costs of skilled labor and service to the customer while creating an experience that is superficial at best.

Some more lovely contradictions of modern life:

Install our App and trade your privacy and habits for "bonus" convenience
Order online and trade your experience for our reduced labor costs
Use the self checkout and trade your own labor for no savings and being watched like a thief
Turn off the location on your phone and be told your phone won't work
The cloud is the future, but the future is actually just your data and the software that you used to own that now you rent and is now living on someone else's computer
Buy our service plan, because everything we make is designed not to be fixed but to be replaced

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
I only use the drive-through at DD. I have no clue who is in front of me, other than the line of cars.

If I drove through this one, the Fire Dept would show up.
(It's on the end of the shopping center but no drive through).

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
Slightly different thing. Just commenting that yes, you are an inconvenience to them (and potentially to other customers).

Automated ordering alleviates wait times, and eliminates the need for cashiers. There are cheap restaurants in Japan like this since forever, where you order at a machine and take a ticket.

Getting mad about that is like waiting in the checkout line at the grocery store and being upset the people going through self-checkout are getting their business done and out faster than you.

Like I said above, we’re taking about a D&D. You want the coffee shop experience, go to the local coffee shop and pay for it.

Don't you tell me what to get mad about or not!

LOL

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Automated ordering alleviates wait times, and eliminates the need for cashiers. There are cheap restaurants in Japan like this since forever, where you order at a machine and take a ticket.

This kind of system has been tried by several "fast casual" chains in the US. Most of them have failed due to poor implementation combined with poor service from the kitchen. Then there's the insistence that to order you have to install their bug ridden app on your phone. I've also seen some use web based menus and ordering systems that don't work well either.

Some of these problems could be overcome but given the thin margins restaurants operate on, the money to make improvements isn't there.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
This kind of system has been tried by several "fast casual" chains in the US. Most of them have failed due to poor implementation combined with poor service from the kitchen. Then there's the insistence that to order you have to install their bug ridden app on your phone. I've also seen some use web based menus and ordering systems that don't work well either.

Some of these problems could be overcome but given the thin margins restaurants operate on, the money to make improvements isn't there.

Yeah that’s the rub. The companies selling solutions woo them and sell them the spiel on metrics and engagement or whatever the hell (reality being the data harvested by the contractor is more valuable to them than to the restaurant). Add to that the inconvenience to the customer of app BS.

It could very well be solved by a “dumb” machine like this:

1656539098803.jpeg

Last edited:

loco gringo

Tele-Afflicted
Even before the pandemic, this was starting to happen. I went to Whataburger one day for a late lunch, 1:30-2:00 ish. I walk in. I am the only person at the counter. I am holding a $20.00 bill in my hand.

Me, "I'll take a Whataburger with cheese, no tomatoes, fries, and a large ice tea."

Dude at counter, "Do you have the Whataburger app? If you order on the app 10 times, you get a free Whataburger."

Me, "I'll take a Whataburger with cheese, no tomatoes, fries, and a large ice tea."

Dude at counter," Would like mushrooms or jalapenos on that?"

Dude at counter, "Would you like xxxxxx (some kind of weird dessert thing).

Dude at counter, "Would you like to get the Whataburger app? If you order 10 times, you get a free Whataburger."

Now I am walking out the door, perplexed, with my $20 bill in my hand and no food.

Dude at counter, never acknowledging that I am leaving, "Are you sure you don't want the Whataburger app?"

I felt like I was on a hidden camera TV show. Whataburger has forgot what its mission is, which is to give me a bag food in exchange for money. Or, they didn't forget, and they are trying to change their mission from giving me a sack of food in exchange for money to selling my info when I get the app, which I am not going to do. I haven't been back to Whataburger since.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I telework a good bit. My family is away this week, so I decided I would go to Dunkin Donuts for an iced coffee to see an actual person. It's about 2 miles from my house but still in the neighborhood. I get there, I'm the only person in line and I still had to wait behind the "app" orders. Grr. I'm sick of this. Make mine cause I'm right in front of you and I made the effort to be there.

This isn't the only time, just the only time I felt like typing this in.
I had what I feel is a related experience today when I went to WallyWorld today.....almost every aisle I turned into with my cart was blocked by all those big online buyer carts.....with an employee who paid zero attention to the fact that that they were in a real customer's way. At one point, I was waiting to get by a customer and an employee who were blocking the aisle. (side-by-side) I finally said 'scuse me.....can I get by?.....looking directly at the employee. She glared at me like I'd insulted her mother's heritage. She never did move, but the other lady (who just didn't realize she was blocking me) moved out of the way.
Yes, the online shoppers are legitimately spending money.......but the employees gathering the purchases need to be aware of EVERYONE'S convenience. :(

Mouth

Tele-Afflicted
Nice. I get it. I changed grocery stores because the one in my neighborhood is overrun with pickup service shoppers with giant sized carts and they get really defensive about their space.

You need to go there and remove items from their carts and replace them with other items.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
I had what I feel is a related experience today when I went to WallyWorld today.....almost every aisle I turned into with my cart was blocked by all those big online buyer carts.....with an employee who paid zero attention to the fact that that they were in a real customer's way. At one point, I was waiting to get by a customer and an employee who were blocking the aisle. (side-by-side) I finally said 'scuse me.....can I get by?.....looking directly at the employee. She glared at me like I'd insulted her mother's heritage. She never did move, but the other lady (who just didn't realize she was blocking me) moved out of the way.
Yes, the online shoppers are legitimately spending money.......but the employees gathering the purchases need to be aware of EVERYONE'S convenience. :(

Ok it's Wally World. I'd almost be willing to download the app to not go in there. When I'm on a motorcycle trip, I often shop at Dollar General they have a lot.of them in the rural places I ride. My wife gives me grief. I said it's like Walmart but I'm never more than 100' from my bike!

And they are just as sketchy!

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
You need to go there and remove items from their carts and replace them with other items.
Great idea. My wife always wants to do curbside but they never look for stiff and they won’t lift the heavy dog food so she drops me at the door and I pick up all the stuff they don’t put in the car.

tele_pathic

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Hmmmmmm....I guess I have a different take. I order in the app as much as possible. Especially Sonic: drinks ordered through the app are always half-price. And they don't want to wait on me? F'n fine. I don't want to wait on them, I don't want to talk to them, and I don't want to be bothered giving any kind of currency, cash or card. Well, never cash...I never carry cash. And heck, I'm old: I'm 50.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
Hmmmmmm....I guess I have a different take. I order in the app as much as possible. Especially Sonic: drinks ordered through the app are always half-price. And they don't want to wait on me? F'n fine. I don't want to wait on them, I don't want to talk to them, and I don't want to be bothered giving any kind of currency, cash or card. Well, never cash...I never carry cash. And heck, I'm old: I'm 50.
I can understand this, as I absolutely hate shopping in the flesh.

I don't ever really go to Dunkin Donuts or places like that, though. If I'm ordering food, I typically go right through the restaurant's website, or I'll just call them up and place my order.

Actually, for anything beyond just a cup of coffee, I probably wouldn't want to use an app, because they'd probably screw something up in the process, which then absolutely destroys any convenience.

Also, my wife and I routinely customize most of the food we order, whether it's Asian, Italian, or American cuisine. We need to talk to a person to ensure they get all the sides, toppings, quantities, and sizes correct. We actually verify it by having them read it back to us. Having the order summary display on a phone screen has typically been a poor substitute for actual verification.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Our local hard rock cafe has carried on the scanning app on the tables, which they started using after lockdowns, I refuse to use it or any ordering apps, some off the serving staff just bring a menu others start lecturing which doesn't so down well with me.
To this end, I now carry a very old mobile, just a small basic one, and if anyone asks to have me scan something or use an app, I simply pull it out and ask if they show me how to do it! Reactions are priceless