Online Guitar Purchases that showed up Perfect !!!

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
These threads are always loaded too.. I've got friends who would say every guitar they've ever gotten was perfect out of the box.

If they had showed me those guitars out of the box I would not have agreed at all.

My thought exactly.

I own ~25 guitars or other stringed instruments. From those 25, two arrived perfect out of the box - my Fender Jeff Beck Strat and EVH Wolfgang Special. Maybe the Beck wasn't perfect - I bought the neck and loaded body separately from Stratosphere and then screwed them together myself. No other setup was needed, though. Even the trem springs were perfectly tensioned for 9s.

Conversely, I have bought multiple guitars from most of the sites in the OP and all of them needed to be setup. My CV Starcaster had the worst setup I have ever experienced, which I posted here at the time.

Cesspit

Tele-Holic
I've never been across the pond but if Andertons set ups and delivery are as good as their you tube channel I'll throw in a third. :) They seem like they'd go all out to get things done to perfection.

I have brought two guitars from them with no complaints on both counts. Can't say more than that really. Oh, good free shipping, well wrapped and protected too.

kneedtospeed

TDPRI Member
Thomann, double boxed, foam padded, three days to US, Cheap! Excellent
100% Satisfied.

SweetWater, double boxed, padded, free overnight! Excellent
100% Satisfied.

I Like to support local m&p b/m stores, but sometimes inventory and prices dictate otherwise.
Kinda expect, and prefer to do my own setups, regardless .
Buy from these guys with Confidence

Muttly

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Screenshot_20220102-130546_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220102-130530_Gallery.jpg

Pretty much everything is online these days, most of pretty decent when I get them. Some really good. Tried bringing in an Epiphone 339, swing and a miss, figured 3d round, call it. After a six month wait, Gibson 339 arrived. The one and only guitar I,ve ever run across that actually had twisted neck. Didn't stay too long.

This Guild F 40 Traditional in the pics though..
Chicago Music Exchange via Reverb..
Perfect guitar, at least for these ears. One of those where all the stars aligned, neck, body, tone, mojo, you name it!!

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I’ve had four show up perfect .
Martin D-18 from Mf
Dean acoustic bass from MF
Epiphone Riviera from Sweetwater
Vintage Brand thinline from Reverb
I have an ES 335 clone that came from Xaviere needing neck work and an Xaviere Tele clone that was perfect after I used super glue on the string ferrules and shifted the neck in the pocket slightly.
The neck could have been bumped in shipping but the ferrules falling out was just sloppy

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The only guitar that I received from an on-line order that was a problem was a used Squier Bass VI from Guitar Center by way of the Musician's Friend website. It had no vibrato arm and was missing an intonation screw and spring. Also, the neck was pretty badly cocked toward the low E so it missed the fret board at the body. I was able to correct the neck alignment and eventually the GC store manager took it upon herself to get me the trem arm. I could have dropped it at the local Guitar Center for a full refund but the price was too good to part with it. I don't even play bass but that's GAS for you...

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
I've only ordered two guitars through catalog suppliers- one, a Studio LP in 1996 from American Music Supply; the other, an SH550 from Carvin in 2009. Both were flawless, but both required that I change the setup to suit my strings and preferences. It would be a fluke for any new guitar to be set up the way I like it.

I have to say that I like my action relatively low, and that results in a lower margin for error. My Carvin was a little more sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity, so for the first few years, I had to make seasonal truss rod adjustments. The neck stabilized in a couple of years, and I haven't adjusted it in around ten years. I also have to say that in over 50 years of owning and playing guitars, that Carvin is the most playable. If it wasn't so heavy, it might be my favorite.

Last edited: