Online Guitar Purchases that showed up Perfect !!!

Mr Swisher

Tele-Meister
I've bought numerous times online (I'm just an impatient fool) from various UK retailers.

Only two ever turned up spot on. Both were Duesenbergs.

The big online stores tend to just check their not damaged and send them. Then you're in the lap of the factory/shipping gods.

If you are going to buy online I'd suggest you should know how to do a reasonable set up. Youtubes full of good videos and you know what.. it's fun!

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
Sweetwater. I pay for the PLEK or the Setup and they nail it every time..... 5 out of the last 6 guitars all showed up "flawless" the odd one out was a very low end Ibanez that I bought as a project anyway, the flaws could be expected at the price point. .

Deathray

Friend of Leo's
+1 on Wildwood
Both of these guys came set up perfectly!
56FC6096-DC00-4266-8D09-4A1E26B0BEB4.jpeg

beninma

Friend of Leo's
Not this time around my friend. I know a good setup. I've been at this for over 60 years now and I've owned equipment from beginner to extreme high end. I like a low action but I will not put up with any buzz even when the guitar is unplugged. Low and buzz free takes a near perfect neck build and I own over half a dozen. I've paid as low as $99.00 and as high as well over $5000.00 multiple times. I'm telling you straight out ...... Don't include the 3 online dealers I named with all the others. There are good and better and best. If you want them in order I'll say Wildwood, Heartbreaker and Distinctive. Not so much by quality but more about multiple examples of quality. I've just listed them in order of number of purchases. Nothing I've received from any of these dealers has ever been beaten by any establishment within 200 miles of my address that I personally drove to. It's a new year. Drop the negative attitude and accept the possibility of good things to come.

I definitely wasn’t talking about you since I don’t know you. Just a general observation about people who I’ve played with in real life.

Someone who is usually out of tune for example…

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve bought a few from Wildwood and they always ask what string I want to have on it so they can set it up properly. The last Fender I bought from them I asked them if the could adjust the truss rod so it wouldn’t have any relief since it had the truss rod at the end of the neck and they were changing the strings anyways. They told me no problem and it showed up perfect. Thanks Bruce!

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
I currently have 7 guitars that I bought online, there's a handful of others I no longer have. No major issues with any of them that I couldn't fix myself. The most expensive purchase was my 1963 Gibson Melody Maker D from Dave's Guitar. I had to replace the wraparound bridge, but that's because it was designed to be used with a wound 3rd string, not any inherent defect. Everything else was fine and as described on Dave's website.

The last 3 guitars I've bought were from Sweetwater. One had a wiring issue, but it was a $99 Epiphone Les Paul SL. Sweetwater does the 55-point inspection on guitars, but only on ones priced over $299. The Epiphone didn't qualify, so the wiring issue wasn't detected. I didn't care, I bought it as a modding platform anyway.

My Fender Modern Player Tele + and Guild Starire I Jet 90 both came in great condition--set up nicely, intonation spot on, everything working properly. The Guild especially was nice--made in Indonesia, but inspected and set up at Guild's location in California. Then Sweetwater did their inspection on it. Before shipping it to me, Sweetwater also put a D'Addario Humidipak in the case before shipping it to me (at no charge). It was a perk that I didn't even ask for, they just did it. For a guitar that isn't all that expensive ($649), I thought that was service above and beyond.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I've bought multiple guitars and / or amplifiers from multiple online dealerships. Sweetwater, Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, Sam Ash, Wildwood, American Musical Supply, Northeast Music Center, Distinctive Guitar, Heartbreaker , etc., etc., etc.

I've been lucky that only one showed up bad, (and I did not list that online store), a few showed up like I'd purchased them in store / off the wall and then there are the guitars and amps this thread is about. Guitars and amps bought online that showed up perfectly setup needing no adjustments and arriving without one single flaw. You don't expect this from online stores so I thought I would mention 3 that have never failed.

1). Wildwood Guitars.

2). Distinctive Guitars.

3). Heartbreaker Guitars.

I have never made an online purchase from any of these three stores that didn't arrive in a state of perfection. Not one single adjustment needed. Not one single ding or blemish I didn't know about ahead of time. Perfection is the goal here and all three of these online stores have never ever failed me.

My first online guitar purchase came from Sweetwater in November.
A Squier '60's Telecaster Thinline RI

Perfect condition and setup as far as I can tell ( have played it on a few gigs). Beautiful, comfy, sounds good to me.
Have ordered small Combo amps and of course, pedals online. No issues
Bought my 1st online guitar a Gibson L4CES from Sweetwater in 2013. It was packaged to the hilt, well setup and in brand new condition. Have bought several more from them over the years.

GbsnL4CESf.jpg

Chicago Music Exchange. Not an expensive guitar (Squier tele) but it came set up very nicely. Beautiful guitar with really nice flame maple neck. They even followed up by sending me a tee shirt. Was, I think, the first new guitar I bought since I was a teenager. Made me rethink buying only used guitars.
Bought a Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty from Chicago Music Exchange in 2016 very happy with the setup and condition. Bought a few more from them since then.

LPCstm.jpg

Carvin/Kiesel, both guitars were players out of the box, beautifully setup.
In 2016 I spec'd out a Kiesel online and the company built it for me within 2 months. They're located only a couple of hours from me, so I pick up the guitars from them instead of having them shipped to me. The setups on their guitars are quite low, the frets perfectly finished and the necks are very fast. I bought a half a dozen more Kiesels since then.

Kiesel Tele2.jpg

Last edited:

Tarkus60

Tele-Holic
reverb both are perfect

Attachments

• IMAE9243.JPG
    IMAE9243.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    392.8 KB · Views: 6

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus Goldtop from Monoprice.com

They're releasing another one of these with P90's soon, as well.

20210405_102323_resize_70.jpg
20201117_143524_copy_1727x2076.jpg
20201117_135717_copy_1701x3024.jpg

It showed up perfect. In 13 months, I've literly done nothing but play it and change strings. No high frets. Action and relief were perfect. Nut is perfect. Literally everything was perfect on this $219 guitar. Phenomenal is how I describe it. I couldn't have asked for a better guitar, even at multiple thousands of $$$.

In fact, I've seen countless thousand dollar+ guitars with issues my $219 guitar never had. And it blows my mind that a company with such inexpensive guitars can out put such great instruments while places like Fender and Gibson can't put out a decent guitar even at $2k half the time.

Its almost like they choose not to clamp down on QC so they can put out the best instruments possible. Like they made the choose to put out sub-par guitars.

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Meister
Not in the habit of buying guitars online, however, over the 'Plague Period', I've had two Custom Shop Les Pauls from GuitarGuitar, that were perfect on arrival.

Cesspit

Tele-Holic
I'll second Andertons in the UK. Just got an Epi 59 Led Paul. I changed the strings as I always do and I can't put the thing down. Danny good service.

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
Only two.

1. My Shine WT240 that game from the-guitar-deal-store dot com, which was apparently just a temporary "store" setup by a guy who invested in one or two orders from Saein Music in S. Korea. It vanished shortly after I bought mine and his one or two time stock ran out.

2. My Harley Benton Extreme 76 BK from Thomann. That one took 2 months, but was near perfect when it arrived.

Monoprice is an honorable mention. That one was not perfect, but it was quite good for the money. Had a couple slightly high frets and fret sprout.

Can we mention the worst too? Rondo! Every single guitar except my SX Bass, was in beyond bad shape. That's 3 of 5, that had actual structural problems, severe fretboard cracks, twisted necks and frets popping up, output jack holes drilled in wrong place, scratches and dents, filth, corrosion, etc. Only the bass and one of the guitars was even salvageable, and that a took total reworking, drilling new holes to reposition things and such.

2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus Goldtop from Monoprice.com

EDIT: After seeing the Deluxe version is a set neck, but for folks eyeballing the non-deluxe Indio 66 Classic or Donner DLP124 (I have been eyeballing the non-deluxe version), they have a critical flaw. 2-sided neck pockets. No wood between the neck and neck pickup. I would strongly suggest avoiding them or finding a way to reinforce that area, if you do not want this to happen over time (Crushing the neck pickup. Image taken from an amazon review of a brand new Donner, Monoprice 66 is the same design):

flawed.jpg

Last edited:

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I'll second Andertons in the UK. Just got an Epi 59 Led Paul. I changed the strings as I always do and I can't put the thing down. Danny good service.

I've never been across the pond but if Andertons set ups and delivery are as good as their you tube channel I'll throw in a third. :) They seem like they'd go all out to get things done to perfection.

pope858

TDPRI Member
I would buy a guitar from Wildwood in Louisville, Colorado sight unseen. I have bought an LP Studio and a AM Pro II tele from Wildwood and both arrived as described and set-up in "perfect" condition! Sweetwater is running 50%, one was flawless, the other had a problem beyond setup and was returned. Guitar Center is a little shaky sometimes! I called a local store about a specific guitar and got excellent service from the clerk and I bought the guitar. 3 days later, they shipped a different guitar (same model) from a different store!!! That one was also returned! Sometimes you have to buy on-line; some stores make it a little less nerve racking.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I bought 3 guitars online that showed up perfect and ready to play. All 3 are Reverend.

Every other guitar or bass I bought needed work, including the new Mustang bass I bought from that wet sugar retailer.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
Fender Player Series Telecaster from Sam Ash, was supposedly used but arrived in perfect condition no signs of use. That’s the latest online guitar purchase. I’ve had good success buying guitars from Sweetwater too.