Online dating.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, May 27, 2016.

1. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Holic

I heard Amazon is opening brick & mortar stores.

My Facebook feed is FULL of girls swearing they hang out at Barnes & Noble waiting on a dude to offer them a book, instead of at the club waiting on a dude to buy them a drink.

xafinity likes this.
  2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm in a long term relationship, so what do I know? I meet interesting women all the time, many of whom I would consider dating if I were twenty years younger and single. I find that the secret for me is to be friendly, kind and not have an agenda. Be interested in them and ask leading questions. Also being unavailable changes the nature of things. You can be more unattached emotionally because it doesn't matter if anyone likes me or not, it's not going any further then friendship.

It seems that when you're looking for someone to "date," it changes things on some level. You're taking mental notes about if you can get along with someone over the long term or any number of other questions rather then just enjoying their company and accepting it for what it is.

I wish I'd been as self-confident when I was younger. Fear of rejection used to cripple me. Now I just don't care.

Good luck with it all!

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If you were a little older, you could hit the senor citizen get togethers, dances, whatever. I went a couple of times, for the music, (Red Simpson was playing) and I would NEVER chance going to one of 'em again. Those old ladies are clamoring for attention from anyone who still knows what day it is. That's called making time down at the senor center. One of 'em came up to me and asked me to dance, so as not to offend her, I told her I didn't dance (I mighta danced with her granddaughter;)), she said "well sweetie, why don't we go over to my place and I'll teach you how to shuffle them feet!" I got them feet shuffling out the door post haste.

4. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

---------------
    been there done that
    met some nice folks even if they were old farts
    -----
    truisms:
    if married remember,
    its cheaper to keep her
    if single remember,
    its cheaper to rent it

Shango66 likes this.
  5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

No dates yet. Reading most of what the ladys write it's pretty easy to see why they left the last guy.
    Most of them seem hung up on finding Mr Right. That guy that'll keep the "honeymoon" thing going.
    There's the biker chicks that want a guy with a Harley. I'm sorry but I don't ride motorcycles just not my thing. I'm not buying one just to pickup some old skank that likes to wear leather.
    There's the horse chicks. They want a guy with a ranch and a bunch of dammed horses that eat 365 days a year and get ridden a little in the summer. I like horses but I ain't buying a bunch of them.
    There's the chicks I wouldn't do on a drunken bet. Snice when does "curvy" mean freaking fat ?
    Then there's those rare ones that don't seem bat **** crazy, don't want a horse or a Harley and haven't let themselves gain an 100 (or more) extra pounds.
    Those gals can get any guy they want and ain't interested in me. :)

The search continues. . . . . .

Shango66, thunderbyrd and Chooglin59 like this.
  6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

At my age, if my wife dies before I do, I doubt I'll be out looking again. I'll be grateful for the extra time to play my guitar.

Stringbanger likes this.
  7. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm too old school for that Internet dating s**t. If I was ever single again, I'd go out to a bar. That's how I met my second wife. Or I'd see if my friends knew a lass that might be available. And wasn't it discovered recently, that the best place to meet women was at the supermarket? Or maybe I'd just take to busking on the streets. You're almost guaranteed to meet a floozy that way.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was going to suggest that BobbyZ get a dog for company. I never argue with my dog.

BobbyZ likes this.
  9. Chooglin59

Chooglin59 Tele-Meister

I did the online dating thing about 15 years ago in Houston...9 out of 10 ladies listed snow skiing as one of their hobbies...in Houston? :confused:
    I had a first date with one lady who proceeded to order the most expensive item on the menu and then turned to me and told me that I wasn't her type...because I didn't look like the marlboro man...but, but...didn't you see my picture?
    After a second date with another one, her 11 year old daughter called me to tell me the cops were there to take her mom to jail and they asked her if there was anyone that she could call...so she called me. :(
    And then there were the several that after the 1st or 2nd date announced their unconditional love for you and that you had to quit the dating site and never look at another woman the rest of your life.
    I could go on...

moosie likes this.
  10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Look in the mirror, and try to picture yourself as a girl. Not really, but ya know, similar age, similar body shape/tone, etc.

That's the girl who would be most interested in you, assuming of course the "interior" stuff is also a match. But it's that exterior both of you are looking at initially.

That's why it's nice to meet someone through a mutual friend, or friend of friend, or friend of family member. You've got a real person doing the filtering, and they likely know more about both of you than just how you look, which face it, isn't going to be the primary characteristic that keeps you together forever.

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i'm glad i'm not single cause i am fat and ugly. so imagine what kind of women would reply.

but you know, on the other hand, there's these words of wisdom:

"always marry an ugly girl, them are the best kind.
    she won't ever leave you, and if she does, you won't mind."

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

That whole grocery store thing; people at the grocery store want to get in, get their stuff, and get out. At least in my neighborhood grocery stores. Grocery shopping is actually fairly stressful at any time other than like 3 AM (and then you're dealing with the stockers). People don't want to be bothered with someone flirting, looking for a date.

I know I don't, anyway

13. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The supermarket idea is probably a good one. Not sure how you take it to the next level without seeming really creepy, though. Of course, I never was a very smooth operator... Fortunately the girls would eventually ask ME. :rolleyes:

14. Peter Rarebit

Peter Rarebit Tele-Meister

Online dating is hilarious. I have a bit of experience with this, although I've settled down over the last 2 years with one great girlfriend.

Here's the good news: As a guy, there are more women out there to choose from. Depending on your city, it might be a way larger dating pool.

Your dating pool as an older guy is also larger so congrats, (for women it's smaller). Because you can date younger, and it's not weird. There's still a stigma with women dating younger (I know, there shouldn't be, but there is). That said, you can't date too much younger. You know, don't go nuts. But you can date women in their 40s. Trust me, they are looking for you.

Important thing to remember: at your age (mine too, I'm 48), everyone you meet who is single, is SINGLE FOR A REASON. You've already noticed the crazy ones and the ones that basicly want to be set up.. that's well.. that's a big chunk of the "available" populace, and you gotta just cross them off the list early on, no matter what the appeal is. Those are women who are just looking for the next divorce payout. Don't be that guy, they'll take whatever you have left and we've seen the stories on this forum. (yes, most single women at this age are divorced, but keep a critical eye for the 'you need to be be making this much money...' ones that are there to take your stuff)

Also beware of two things: Many people on these sites are just lying- they are not "really" single, or they are not really interested in a relationship. They have dating profiles that basically amount to vanity websites. They need to be "impressed" or whatever. That's not your job.

Also watch out for the "polyamory" women. The concept is a person can be in love with more than 1 person at a time, which I don't dispute. But why would a "polyamory" person be on a dating website to introduce herself to strangers? Oh yeah, it's because she's already in a relationship, probably one that sucks. Or the guy she is seeing is kinda part time with her and part time with whoever. This seems like a fringe issue but I ran into several times out here.

Watch out for russian scammers. Ah, the hot girl in bathing suit just winked at you and wants you to contact her on an alternate website? delete and report, my friend.

There are plenty of nice people to meet, but you also have to be a good appropriate person too. Here's what worked for me:

Write your profile as honestly as possible. Talk about who you really are, speak from the heart, and talk about the kind of person you'd like to meet.

Be discriminating towards people you know you won't be able to stand. For me, I cut out women obsessed with politics. They can't argue fairly or respect disagreement, so I cut them out early.

Do not answer any of the "sexy" questions on OK Cupid- it just makes you look sleazy. That said- the compatibility questions actually kind of work, so do answer as many of those you as you can stand. And they help you find people. I met current GF when our ratings actually hit 98% compatible, and she had followed the same strategy as me.

If you have a sense of humor, be funny. It never hurts.

Don't expect or demand anything but honesty. But don't bend on that.

Relationships are tough, but now is your time to enjoy life. And if it gets frustrating, just forget about it for a while. It will come back around.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  15. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't mind giving online dating a try, but I think my wife would object.

16. Toto'sDad

Looking for:

[​IMG]

thunderbyrd likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Finding:

[​IMG]

thunderbyrd likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Solution, quit using hamburgers for bait!!!:D:D:D

Dan Spiffy Neuman likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Might I suggest an alternative bait? Remember, money ain't no good for nuthin' until you spend it! ;)

[​IMG]

20. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.