1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Online Colaboration #1: Rich_S' Learning Experience

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Rich_S, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It took way longer than we expected, but I finally "finished" mixing "Peace, Love, and Understanding", an online collaboration by my old '80s college bar band, with additional help from some online friends. I started this project mostly as a way to get myself some quick-and-dirty program material with which to practice recording and mixing.

I learned a lot along the way, but the most important lesson was, "Idle hands are the Devil's playground". There were some delays in getting the lead vocal recorded (but that's a story for another day). While I was waiting, I couldn't leave well enough alone and found myself adding stuff; a jangly guitar here, a surfy 6th-string line there, and the mob vocal chorus on the ending. The project ended up being 36 tracks, a laughably overblown production of what should be a simple pop song. But I had fun, gained some needed experience in DAW production, and am happy with the result despite its excesses.

So I ask you, what's so funny?

simoncroft and StrangerNY like this.
  2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Good recording.

I've been doing an online collab thing since the end of April, and I know what you're talking about as far as having a track expand a lot.

A bass player friend of mine and I did a cover of 'Head Over Heels' by Tears for Fears, and by the time he was done putting his vocals and bass tracks together he ended up sending me 12 tracks. Add that to my drum programming, various guitars, percussion and keyboards and we were well into 30-35 tracks by the time I mixed it.

I've gotten used to tracks taking longer than expected. I've got 6 songs out to various friends and band members for parts, and I've just sort of resigned myself to the fact that the tracks get here when they get here.

Good fun, though. Could you imagine trying to do stuff like this with an analog setup?

- D

3. Rich_S

Slightly better master, different SoundCloud URL.

simoncroft and Skully like this.
  4. Rich_S

Okay, it's "another day" so here's the story. At some point, we (I) became concerned that our band's singer would get her vocal track done in a reasonable time. There were communication problems between us, she in San Francisco and me in NY state. No big deal, just mis-read intent in emails, but it prompted us to approach another singer, one our drummer has worked with in the past.

Before I could wave either of the singers off, we received TWO vocal tracks. Feelings were hurt, guilt was felt, apologies expressed and accepted. (This may belong in The Band Wagon instead of the recording forum.) The two vocals were listened to and deemed incompatible; there would be no "you take the first verse and I'll take the second" deal. So, in the end, I decided the only fair thing to do would be to make two separate mixes. Out in the wild (Facebook, for example) I'm doing my best to make sure they don't get posted side-by-side. I don't want people comparing the two and declaring one better than the other. They're both different, but both good. Each brings a bit of the singer's character and style to the song.

No, I will not be adding a poll to this thread.

simoncroft and Skully like this.
  5. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

It's a great song, so that surely helps, and the overall performance has the energy needed for this tune. The second vocal sits better in the overall mix (although both are very good), which has a sort of live-in-the-smoky-bar feeling to it. Brought me back to campus back in 1981.

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Very cool!

I've done a bunch of collabs with players arund the world. Recent developments now allow players to collaborate in real time. Yeah, there's sometimes a latency thing, but once you know how to mitigate it, it becomes much less of a problem.

A pal of mine has been engaged in an online collab for several months now as an alternative to the "sorry, so gigs" situation.

The individual players are scattered to the four winds, but they make recordings in real time using Jamulus software. They've also hosted a few live stream concerts via Facebook, with several hundred in the virtual audience. Pretty cool.

They recently had a writeup about the group:

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/n...ntinue-rocking-despite-covid-pandemic-507873/

7. Rich_S

LOL. Mailing cassettes across the country, only to find out they used Dolby B, and your deck only has C. Or DBX.

That's exactly what I told the band at the beginning... nothing fancy, let's just make a recording that sounds like us, bashing out the song in a bar. Then I got the idea for the mob chorus, and extra guitars, and things got more complicated.

StrangerNY likes this.
  8. Rich_S

And here's online collaboration #2:

I'm enjoying the music, but the two-singer drama is getting me down.

9. Rich_S

And here's our third tune, by far the biggest production yet. Who'd have thought that in 2020, I'd have a 48-track studio in my family room?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.