Online And/Or DVD Learning System Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by colchar, Sep 18, 2018.

1. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

A friend has decided to start playing guitar and asked me for some advice regarding online and DVD lessons. They live in a small town so want to learn that way, rather than with a live teacher.

Other than Justin Sandercoe's site, Doug Marks' Metal Method site/DVDs, and the Gibson Learn & Master series I am not really familiar with any online or DVD learning resources. Can anyone here recommend decent ones?

If it matters, they want to learn to play both electric and acoustic.

2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Truefire is not a bad place to look

dqami and colchar like this.
  3. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Fender Play seems methodical and has a lot of songs / tabs to follow. It costs a few quid a month - so it depends if the cost is something that's felt to be "reasonable".

Loads of stuff on YouTube but the recording quality and delivery can be patchy.

colchar likes this.
  4. ianstrike

ianstrike TDPRI Member

Bluesguitarunleashed.com with Griff Hamlin.

5. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

I am a huge Truefire fan. It has made a big difference in my playing. There is some really good quality instruction, and a big selection. You can preview quite a bit of material to get a flavour of teaching style and level before you buy.

They also offer pretty amazing sales on most big holidays, so you can snipe some great prices on the courses. I would expect to see the next big one around Halloween.

I also like that I can download the courses to my hard drive, so they fell like they are "mine" moreso than the subscription services (although they offer that as well if it is what you prefer).

6. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

I'm seeing a 50% off sale on Truefire now, 50% off everything you put in your basket and purchase within a hour.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

While Truefire is good, I'd recommend digging around on YouTube for a while, trying out sample courses from several different online lesson providers. That way you can get a feel for which ones might be the best fit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.