One Year Ago Today...

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Congratulations!
I quit for good in late 2010. I still miss the taste but I greatly enjoy ownership of my lungs as well as not losing money to that habit.
But look,
I picked up an Epi Sheraton and an American Pro II Strat so cannot justify another.
I assure you, we here at the TDPRI are experts at helping you justify another. We take pride in it.
What color is your Sheraton? Have you tried a Gretsch? With a Bigsby?
What color is the strat? Have you tried a 90s Standard? What's your favorite color that you don't already have a guitar in?

1 year should net a high end squire. 2nd a $600 epi or Gretsch. 3 a 90s US fender. 10s gonna be something custom shop.
;)

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
8+ years for me. I smoked a lot heavier than you but quitting is quitting and it's not easy. I still would like to have a cigarette or a cigar from time to time but you can't give in.

Anyway, good job. You've done something that's not easy to do. Never give in!

colchar

Friend of Leo's
Congratulations!
I quit for good in late 2010. I still miss the taste but I greatly enjoy ownership of my lungs as well as not losing money to that habit.
But look,

I assure you, we here at the TDPRI are experts at helping you justify another. We take pride in it.
What color is your Sheraton? Have you tried a Gretsch? With a Bigsby?
What color is the strat? Have you tried a 90s Standard? What's your favorite color that you don't already have a guitar in?

1 year should net a high end squire. 2nd a $600 epi or Gretsch. 3 a 90s US fender. 10s gonna be something custom shop.
;)

:lol:

Funnily enough, I recently sold my Gretsch. And yes, it had a Bigsby.

The Sheraton is just a black one, but the Strat is gorgeous:

52062166669_742d4716e2_b.jpg

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
Congratulations.
I imagine the sense of achievement will be significant. A full year is a long time when the habit is so second nature.
It's definitely been the hardest of the bad substances for me to quit.

It reminds me of that Tennyson saying:
"It's better to have smoked and quit than to have never smoked at all."
Lord Alfie sure new the fatal attraction of 20 Regal King Size.

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
...I quit smoking. I went from a pack a day to none at all, and haven't had a single drag since.

Considering how much I liked smoking, how heavily I smoked, and how much I still like the smell this was one hell of an accomplishment.

Happy anniversary to me!!!
Well done sir.
I quit 2014, surprised the crap out of myself by being able to do it so quickly.
I've had 3 cigarettes in that entire time and hated them all, they tasted like burnt cardboard.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
...I quit smoking. I went from a pack a day to none at all, and haven't had a single drag since.

Considering how much I liked smoking, how heavily I smoked, and how much I still like the smell this was one hell of an accomplishment.

Happy anniversary to me!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
I can vaguely remember the one year anniversary when I quit, and what an incredible sense of accomplishment I felt. That was in 1982 (quit in 1981) and seems like "forever" ago. Quitting was one of the best decisions I ever made.
Stay strong.....you'll be tempted by situations and other smokers to take "just a puff or two", but you CAN resist. It's just your LIFE at stake. ;)

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Good for you! It's a nasty habit. I quit maybe 10 years ago. I never was a heavy smoker. But I felt SO much better almost immediately. All that carbon monoxide aint good.....

My wife swore she'd never quit. Didn't even want to quit. She smoked for 42 years. Then she got pneumonia about 8 years ago or so. They put the patch on her while she was in the hospital for a week. Somehow, she just never started smoking again. Today she has mild COPD and on oxygen at night...........

Last edited:

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
Well done sir!

My quit smoking story goes like this:

I woke up one morning (oh, stop it!) and realised I was out of cigarettes, so I immediately thought "I need to stop by the gas station on my way to work to pick up a pack.

Then, out of the blue: "No. Today is the day I stop smoking".
And so I did.

This after at least a pack a day for 20* something years.
I has been 18 years, and I have not even been tempted.

Now, let us see what happens when I am out of bacon....

*Edit: the number of years smoking, it was 20, not 30.... jeez, I am old, but not THAT old...

Last edited:

colchar

Friend of Leo's
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
I can vaguely remember the one year anniversary when I quit, and what an incredible sense of accomplishment I felt. That was in 1982 (quit in 1981) and seems like "forever" ago. Quitting was one of the best decisions I ever made.
Stay strong.....you'll be tempted by situations and other smokers to take "just a puff or two", but you CAN resist. It's just your LIFE at stake. ;)

I don't really get cravings. If I do they are minor, and are gone in a moment or two. I have a friend who smokes while we are walking our dogs together as part of a small group of 3-5 people who do this a few times a week. Whenever I smell her second hand smoke I like the smell, but even that doesn't give me cravings.