One to rule them all.. need recs on best clip on tuner for guitar, bass and mandolin

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarteach, May 8, 2021.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I managed to destroy my Korg clip-on tuner. I can get by with my standalone I use in the home studio but need a new one for gigging.

Before I just get a new Korg.. (i like the bright strobe like mode it has) what is best tuner out there people reckon.. under £30/$40 ideally... don’t need a Peterson.

just fast and reliable and decent battery life in cold... getting more outdoor gigs in UK.

Needs to cover various tunings and will def be on guitar, mandolin and occasionally, bass and uke

Tc polytune clip on? Or TC Unitune.. don’t really use the poly mode..

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Chiogtr4x and Jakedog like this.
  2. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I have the older version of this tuner, and love it. I've used in on all types of guitars, banjos, mandos, bass guitars, etc. The batteries last me about a year. I can't speak to cold weather persay, but I suppose it's just as reliable as any other electronic that takes a disc battery e.g. garage door openers, key fobs, etc. Hope this helps!
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ition?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organicpla

Guitarteach likes this.
  3. Guitarteach

Thanks.. That is lot like what I had. My korg sledgehammer pro I broke ate batteries.. every 4 or 5 gigs I’d need a new one. A reason to get different. The Petersons are quite expensive here though. But i could use it with more instruments and the sweetening is interesting... got harps, violins, cellos and woodwind in the house too. Does it have a mic?

Telekarster likes this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve given up on any clip on tuner that isn’t a TC Polytune. Snarks fall apart, and only track “ok”. All the others I’ve had tracking issues with either on low strings, or in noisy rooms, or when the wind blows the wrong way. I started with the intellitouch maybe fifteen years ago. Since then I’ve been though Snarks, various D’Adarrio/Planet Waves, Korg, etc.

The TC really is in a league of its own in the “under $50” price bracket. So much so that I recently spent more than that on one because the only place that had them was amazon. All the music retailers have been out of them since last year. Mine got lost right before shut down. I actually think somebody walked off with it. I didn’t replace it at the time because I didn’t really need to with no gigs happening. Since they started coming back, and nobody had the things in stock (except Amazon at way over normal price) I tried a new D’Addario that clips inside the sound hole. What a waste of money. Total piece of junk. So I ponied up and paid the crazy Amazon price for the polytune. So worth it. Every string tracks perfectly, fast, and right on target, even in a noisy environment, even if I barely touch the string, and I don’t have to try all kinds of different positions to find the “sweet spot” to clip it. It’s the real deal.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  5. perttime

perttime Friend of Leo's

There's also TC UniTune for those who don't feel the need for the polyphonic feature.

Guitarteach, blowtorch and Jakedog like this.
  6. Telekarster

Nope

7. Guitarteach

I have a TC Unitune in a shopping basket now. I do have the polytune feature in my boss fx u it but rarely use it.

but it does look the right mid-price choice. Steel clip looks right too for gig worthiness.

Thanks

8. Telekarster

Cool man! Let us know how you like it!

Guitarteach likes this.
  9. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

The red Snark works for me....shrug.

Fuelish, Guitarteach and davidchagrin like this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a lot of the Reverb branded clip on tuners when they were were selling them for a $1 (only one per customer, sure...). They've worked good, at least as good as one you see selling in the $20 to $30 range.

Guitarteach likes this.
  11. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

unitune hands down! especially for mandolin- TP

perttime, blowtorch and Guitarteach like this.
  12. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Afflicted

Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but I use the chromatic red Snark for everything. Haven't had any problems with them and the tuning accuracy has been great. I'm a bit of a stickler for accurate tuning. I use the metronome on it from time to time to get an idea of tempo.

Guitarteach likes this.
  13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Came here to see the Unitune/Polytune is already well-represented. And yep esp for mando

If I'm not playing a multi FX with a good readable tuner, that TC Electronics mini clip on is always with me, and I expect that to be a lifetime thing

You guys who've not tried it- you don't know what you're missing. It's one of those rare pieces of gear that actually improves your life

Jakedog and Guitarteach like this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Check this out!
    This is the spring clamp, and 'extend arm + swivel version of the Planet Waves NS tuner I have used ( the smaller /ratchet clamp one) for years

The squeeze clamp can deal with any size headstock, the neck folds and extends and the display swivels- above or under headstock
    Good design for different instruments
    * notice the hinges- it can fold up to be small. Just got it!
    20210508_083017.jpg

15. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

A Boss Tu-10 is a good solid unit, and 1cent accurate too. It's my go-to if I'm not plugged through my fx board.

16. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The white snark is the best I’ve found. I have not gone on an exhaustive search or anything. I’ve owned a few.

17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Accepting that I don't rely on a tuner for final precise pitch, I like the low profile of the NS Micro. Its gets me in the ballpark, I final tune with fifths, harmonics and taste. For the most precise tuner, I've not found a better portable than the Korg OT-120. For a bench, a good working Petersen 490, or Conn strobe still excels imo.

18. Telekarster

It sounds like a lot of people out here like TC brand. My Peterson is getting pretty old now so... I might just have to pick one of these up, just in case ;)

19. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

I have the TC polytune. I've had it for about 2 years ... had to replace the battery for the first time a week ago.
    Also has an accurate strobe tuning function (for setting up intonation).

20. Guitarteach

The plastic clamp and plastic articulated arm on my Korg clip on were not impressive. After a few sessions, it got loose and i ended up jamming cocktail stick ends into the mechanism to give it some much needed friction. Quite poor really.

I’d not recommend the Korg Sledgehammer Pro.. avoid it. I do use the Korg GA Custom pocket tuner. That seems great.

The metal clip of the TC unitune was the decider really for me. With all the odd tunings, poly mode was not really needed or useful.

So hopefully i will be sorted for some years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.