One rare Tele

dickey

Friend of Leo's
I just got the hang of my new digital camera my girlfriend gave me for Christmas (I'm a slow learner) so I thought I would post a few pics of my Tele. I bought it 16 or so years ago on 48th st. in NYC. It's a very early Custom Shop (check the logo) 50's RI. It was mint when I got it;the relicing is REAL & was done by me over the years. The original pickups both failed at different times, so I replaced them with TS's. I also replaced the high "E" tuning peg 'cause I conked the original on a low ceiling stage soon after I bought it. I've been told the guitar sounds exactly like Roy's "Nancy", & I gotta agree with that. The pickguard signatures are from one very memorable show at the bottom line in '93. Enjoy

Attachments

• TeleGatgard.jpg
    TeleGatgard.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Headstock.jpg
    Headstock.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 64
  • CS logo.jpg
    CS logo.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 57

Stuco

Poster Extraordinaire
I love it, did you do a clear coat over those signatures?

dickey

Friend of Leo's
I love it, did you do a clear coat over those signatures?

Yea, I just used a clear laquer rattlecan & sprayed a couple real light passes. Kinda gave it a nice yellowed patina over the years. I had done a few gigs with Charlie Daniels & Steve Cropper & they signed the guitar itself, but the sigs wore off over the years. You can see them very faintly just above the pickguard.

Don Mare

Tele-Afflicted
I just got the hang of my new digital camera my girlfriend gave me for Christmas (I'm a slow learner) so I thought I would post a few pics of my Tele. I bought it 16 or so years ago on 48th st. in NYC. It's a very early Custom Shop (check the logo) 50's RI. It was mint when I got it;the relicing is REAL & was done by me over the years. The original pickups both failed at different times, so I replaced them with TS's. I also replaced the high "E" tuning peg 'cause I conked the original on a low ceiling stage soon after I bought it. I've been told the guitar sounds exactly like Roy's "Nancy", & I gotta agree with that. The pickguard signatures are from one very memorable show at the bottom line in '93. Enjoy

no disrespest intended.
but -- if you want to find out if its close to Nancy, please go to my site: www.roybuchanan.org hit the link button for (music) that's me playing Nancy a few years back thru a Vibrolux ...
next grab your guitar and compare the two.....

I'm sorry but there's no way it can sound just like Nancy..

mater of fact theres' no way any other guitar can sound just like Nancy - and this has more to do with a in-series cap that's in nancy and the way its aged and caused overtones.. then the woods or the pickups..

with all properties correctly replicated wood - pickups - etc... this little deal with this depleted .1 cap that's in-series will prevent perfect copy's from ever coming to light - you can get "sisters" to Nancy with some careful cap searching and pickups and wood and the sum of the metal parts..
and I tell you why - its because the caps that have depleted and sound close to Nancys Cap will be a variant - because the caps do not age the same and so the overtones and filtering etc.. are all different.. you can get close - you can get a sister to nancy but no one including myself will never recreate a guitar that "sounds exactly like Roy's Nancy"

dickey

Friend of Leo's
On the contrary--I am heavily influenced by Roy & Danny, so if my style is similar, then it's a combination of guitar,amp, fingers,etc. You may have been playing Nancy in the soundbite, but you didn't sound like, or have Roy's tone at all. You had your own tone. I was Filling in for a guitarist in a local band, & I sang "The Fugitive",and one of the top singers & guitarists in the area came up to me & said "You got that Buchanan sound DOWN" , man. The guitar also harmonics beautifully. Alot of things combined make the sound, & this guitar is perfect for doing that Roy-Danny sound. It may not be exact, but it's damn close. And it's closer than any Tele I've ever owned, and all have been vintage original,except for a '52RI (which I hated & dumped after 1 gig) and this one. I don't think most people could tell the difference.

imsilly

Friend of Leo's
That is one badass Telecaster!

Early custom shop models are great to see being reliced up!