One Piece Plus Wing - Two Piece Ash Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mark-00255, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Beerfish

Beerfish Tele-Holic

Very nice I just got a gfs mini humbucker I'm glad to hear you like it.I also plan on useing some of that copper sheildingin the future.Great build thanks for sharing

2. cpeters01

cpeters01 Tele-Meister

I think it's safe to say that more than one of the tdpri crowd likes this guitar...me for one. Thanks for the posts, it's a very nice build.

3. SULTAN

SULTAN TDPRI Member

Great job my friend.Keep posting,o.k?The sheen of the body looks amazing,glosy but not plastic.Do you have any wood pores showing through or is the finish as liquid as it looks?Finally, how many wipe ons did you apply to have this great outcome?Thanks again for the boost!

4. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nicely done [​IMG]. Good job.

Personally I like the grain pattern on the back better but we all have our own opinions on such things.

5. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Thanks, Man! The finishing process was pretty simple once I bailed on the translucent black idea. After many hours of sanding, up through 320 grit, and after using the iron technique to raise any sunken/damaged grain, then more very careful sanding, I put on one coat of Zinnser Bullseye Shellac Sealer. Let it dry for a couple days, then started with straight MinWax wipe-on gloss poly. Put on six coats, with light 0000 steel wool treatment between each coat. That's it! No grain filler.

Thanks beerfish! I played last night through my Line 6 setup and got some great "woman" tone out of the neck. Wasn't even expecting that!

Thanks! I feel better now - sorry if I got a little down there, but it can be tough to put your work out there and not get much response!

Thanks sultan - you kept me going a couple times with documenting my progress. The heavy grained areas in the ash definitely show - the result of no grain fill. But the trade off for me was the shimmer I got from the light shellac coat, followed with gloss poly. Even the dark grain areas are alive! At least to me!

Thanks Jack! I hear you on the grain and I went back and forth in the beginning before cutting it out. But, my daughter's vote on featuring the whorl below the bridge like I was thinking won out!

6. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Built a New Bridge

Well I couldn't live with the bridge very long with the extra set of holes ... so I got out another piece of 3 inch aluminum angle and headed for the garage. I took quite a few pics and may start a thread on just how I make these bridges with just hand tools - seems like a good topic. Anyways, here's the finished product with a good look at the reflection off the finish (and the grain :neutral:):
    [​IMG]
    And from the bottom:
    [​IMG]

I need to get a new mounting screw for the upper corner - that one has been in and out a few times and the head just didn't keep nice. I'll pick one up tomorrow and that will help snug the head down all the way into the bridge plate too. I may also file down the saddle adjuster screws - but that low "backstock" sure feels better under the palm than the other one!

7. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Last Post - Video!

Here's a video I did this morning of The Beast - hope you like it!

8. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

Mr. T, please add me to your fan club. And HOORAY for hand tools!

9. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

That is one nice guitar! I like the bridge!!
    Have a wiring diagram for it? Im thinking of making a tele with the standard tele pickups and adding a fender mini hum.
    Cheers

10. Tele-brewer

Tele-brewer Tele-Meister

Great job.

Another superb Tele of yours.
    I'm looking forward for the bridge-making thread.

Keep rockin'!

11. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Hey Irishmail! Good to hear from you! I hope all is well with the Spa Caster - you're still gigging with it I trust?

12. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Hey, thanks, Irishtele - two Irish in a row - must be my lucky day, for sure!

I went to the Seymour Duncan site and looked at their diagram for a: HB/SC/SC one volume/one tone setup. The differences with mine are:

• HB in the neck position - no big deal to move that
    • .022 cap instead of .047 - just the way I like it
    • .001 treble bleed cap across the volume lugs
    The treble bleed is not demonstrated very well in my video - it works great with some gain and some higher amp volume than I was running. Let me know if you need more info on that.

13. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Thanks tchuls! Good luck in your class - I'll post a bridge-building thread soon ... sometime in the next couple days.

14. Scatter Lee

Scatter Lee Friend of Leo's

cool to hear it

15. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

Hi Mark,

Been busy for a bit and so I haven't kept up... That's a really nice looking and good sounding guitar. Nice work.

Cheers,

Murray

PS. Love to see the build a bridge thread...

16. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Thanks scatter and Murray!

I took the guitar into the store today and showed it off a bit - salesman I know grabbed it immediately and headed into the amp room where the rep from Mesa was demo-ing the new Electra Dyne.

Wow! Wow! and Wow!

My guy Smitty ripped it up for about five minutes and then looked at me sheepishly and asked if I wanted to play my own guitar! Then the Mesa rep tried it and did a dead nuts version of La Grange - not a terribly hard song, but man did it sound great through that amp with the soft intro and then the full on verse part! That's what the treble bleed is all about!

We played the guitar through a real nice 5/25 Express as well. That was really fun and I may have to sell off some gear - I think my old amp is not up to day-to-day duty!

17. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    This is one of the coolest guitar photos I've ever seen. And a great looking guitar to boot. (Yeah, I know. I've said that before...) ;)

18. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Dude, that is a real nice sounding guitar. Aside from that, your are a real nice sounding player too....There were some licks and riffs that I am going to "borrow"...

19. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Thanks John! Really high praise - I'll take it with a big dose of humility - I still have a lot to learn, but as I've said before, what an incredible hobby this Tele guitar-building thing is!

Thanks Robbied_216! Feel free to steal any of my licks - I stole 'em all from someone else, that's for sure!

20. mickg

mickg Tele-Meister

What a fantastic looking piece of work. What pickup combination are you looking at because I've just finished my first bulid and like it so much that I'm thinking about some quality pickups in it. prob Twang Banger bridge, strat middle and buker neck, What are you doing?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.