One Piece Plus Wing - Two Piece Ash Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mark-00255, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Well, my wife tells me the two trials on translucent black look like I dropped the wood into a mud puddle! Maybe trans black is just not a good idea! I'm leaning heavily towards a vintage white-blond kinda look at this point. Especially since I've got a black guard on the way.

Meanwhile, ramseybella, I got the Ash at a small local hardware store that is a storefront for a local plywood manufacturer. They have an amazing backroom full of crazy wood, and always have a great selection. It's called Hardel Do It Best. Here's a link: http://hardel.doitbest.com/home.aspx

Problem with this store is they're only open M-F 10 - 5:00 or something crazy like that! I literally have to take time off work to go there! But, it's worth it. The eight-plus foot Ash board, 10.5 inches wide and a thick 1 3/4 was $92 including sales tax (8.4% in WA). Four blanks will cost me $23 each. Not bad!

I'm off to do a swimming pool rout!

2. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Brother, I emailed them lets see what they have.
    I would go with a trans color Cream with Black guard.

They Emailed me back at least, they don't sell that wood on line.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  3. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Well This Oughta Scare Ya!

Obviously I'm not chronicling every aspect of this build - I'm just trying to hit the highlights, or points where I've got questions or am looking for help. I'm going with the Mini-HB neck, and Strat Middle P'Ups, so needed a swimming pool rout. I don't have the guard yet, but looked up specs on Mini-HBs and studied the pic of the guard for a while. Laying it out in pencil:
    [​IMG]

Hogged out a lot of wood with a one-inch forstner (I also drilled some half-inch holes after the pic):
    [​IMG]

Here's the scary part - I'm using my neck rout templates 'cause they have nice straight lines. Not trying to make up a special template for this. My plan is to use the top line, and rout left, right and bottom lines against a straight edge. Here's the left hand setup:
    [​IMG]

I freehanded up to my first reference line on the bottom and here is is two-thirds through:
    [​IMG]

4. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Then I did the right hand line, and finally set the bottom line. The green template on bottom is not clamped or screwed - it just serves to stabilize the router so I don't get tipsy:
    [​IMG]

Then I also did a 1/4 roundover on the top edge - I'll try binding on the next one! Here's the finished rout - this and some small spots on the roundover are the only routs on this build where I've burned any edges:
    [​IMG]

Still got some sanding to do tomorrow night ... smooth out the roundovers, and edges by the neck pocket. And I'm also trying one more test board for the finish - laid on a coat of Zinnser Shellac Sealer tonight. I'll sand it smooth tomorrow night and try a couple things.

Final note for tonight: I've done every single lick of work on this build myself, and have only borrowed the bandsaw. Everything else has been done with hand tools - bridge and all. I'm excited and feel like I'm learning. Thanks for continued interest in my builds - I'm no Kirn yet, but I'm striving for improvement on every step!

5. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

Nice work Mark!

I've been meaning to ask, what did you make those green templates out of? It almost looks like a cutting board...

Cheers,

Murray

6. SULTAN

SULTAN TDPRI Member

Great build once again Mark.I really enjoyed the ketchupcaster thread, especially your finishing schedule which interests me the most.I only wish you showed this build's finishing progress in the same detail (or even more;))as you did with the ketchupcaster.Thank you for sharing!

7. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Cutting board it is. From the local cash and carry grocery outlet. But, I think I've said before, it's tough to get a nice, even line - lots of ripples. And they were kinda expensive - about $15 each. I will make a new set before I do any other builds - or even buy some Kirns.

8. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Thank you, Sultan - that's very kind! With all the great builders around this forum, I didn't think my hacking away with a hand drill and 1 1/2 horse router would be that interesting for a regular build. I'll take some pics tomorrow as I progress in the finishing.

Last night I spent about 3 hours doing some fine sanding. I tried the iron trick and I think it worked, although I was out of 220 and used 320 for the whole ting. Think I got to the point of diminishing returns where I was just rubbing sanding dust around the surface. But I know this one is smoother and more consistent than the Ketchupcaster.

I just put on the shellac sealer tonight. It says sand and re-coat after 45 minutes. Yeah, we'll see! I'll probably wait until tomorrow morning and then sand one more time.

I'm still waiting for paint to dry on my last test board. I'll post a pic of that tomorrow too.

9. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Some Opinions Please!!!

Okay guys - I'm at a threshold. I sold a piece of gear on the bay and now I've got $100 more for the final bits I need. I've gotten most everything but:

• Neck Mini HB
    • Mid Strat Pickup
    • Electrosocket
    • Tuners
    And I've got this pretty looking birdseye and rosewood Squier SE neck coming. I can use that neck and go GFS on the pickups and go Wilkinson Kluson style tuners and spend my last $100;

OR I can turn the neck for about $60 and get a Warmoth or USACG neck ... and not buy pickups until later and make it an Esquire for now (remember I've got a Fender pickup from a 50s Road-Worn already). Whadya think?

10. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Guess I'm on my own with this decision, huh. Okay ... I ordered the GFS pickups today - Little Crunchy Neck Mini HB, and a set of overwound Strat pickups. Should work to get me in the game.

So last night I put on the coat of Shellac sealer and here's what it looked like after a good 18 hours of drying - nice shimmer in the grain:
    [​IMG]

And here's my last attempt at a translucent "black" finish - this time I shellaced a test board; let it dry overnight; sanded down nice and smooth; wiped on and wiped off ebony stain; then after another 24 hours shot a good thick coat of Deft. I masked a clean edge as well to see how that would look. Here it is leaning against the real thing:
    [​IMG]

Sorry, not good enough. I'm just going natural with this thing. The shimmering effects in three large areas off the grain look fantastic.

11. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

It was a super nice day in the Pacific Northwest today - about 60 and clear, with a nice easy breeze. So I set up out back on the deck on the old picnic table to do my final sanding - requisite cup of Starbucks nearby:
    [​IMG]

And after another hour or so, ended up with this:
    [​IMG]

I have really obsessed over edges and surface treatment - using Kirn's sun technique. I've gotten plenty discouraged a couple times as it seems like I just couldn't get away from a few scratches here and there. I would have to clear my sandpaper after every pass or so, it seemed like, or I would get little surface marks from the buildup. Aargh! But I just kept going with fresh sandpaper every little bit, and I'm real pleased with the result.

I still have a long way to go before I'm up to pro level - maybe a couple years! But, the surface, edges and transitions on this body are much better than anything else I've done yet. Now we're doing wipe-on poly and waiting for parts!

12. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

Way to go!!
    Free the grain see the Grain, this looks sweet.

13. SULTAN

SULTAN TDPRI Member

Alot of great builders indeed, but builds like yours or Scatter Lee's(and others' of course!)that use average or even cheap tools and a lot of ingenuity and patience, are the ones trully inspiring and motivating for the also average diy-er.
    Sorry for not throwing a word regarding your dillema, but i was away without connection.I'd also go for the GFS way though...Nice detail on the finishing progress also.

Keep it coming!

14. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Thanks again, Sultan, for the encouraging words!

I had a long day trip over the Cascade mountains and back today. I put on another coat of poly this morning before we left, and now on my late return and inspection I see that I have a couple small runs - too much goop on the cloth apparently. I've already busted out a fresh single edge razor blade and scraped them down. Still some little scratches here and there too showing through the clearcoat. Runs and minute scratches are on the front of course - the back is absolutely perfect!

The late night reality here is that I may always be a hobbyist at this trade! Oh well! Still a pretty great hobby!

15. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Third coat of poly was Sunday morning at about 9:00 AM, so tonight I took advantage of 30-odd hours of curing to drill the ferrule holes. Not sure why I hadn't done that yet, but no better time than now!

My method with string through holes has been to drill the top first, about an inch into the body. Then flip the template onto the back and drill similarly about a half inch from the back. These holes only serve as guides to get the ferrule holes straight and nicely spaced. Notice I said "nicely" and not evenly ... who wants that stinking CNC precision anyways! Then I drill the ferrule holes, and after getting the bridge placed, drill through from the top. So far, this has worked well for me. We'll see this time with no drill press!

The string through and guide holes were drilled way back when I did the body routing. So today it's just the 5/16" ferrule holes - here's the setup on the G string hole:
    [​IMG]

Blue tape is my friend - here is the G string hole to depth:
    [​IMG]

And the result - the B string hole wandered on me in the original drilling looks like - the Ketchupcaster was better, but I won't sweat it - think vintage, right!
    [​IMG]

16. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

After getting that done, I worked on the top - getting the run areas smoothed out, and going over the whole thing with 0000 steel wool. I had my daughter look over the scratches I'm seeing and it took her a minute and just the right light to even find any. Maybe I'm obsessing too much! So another coat of poly went on and it's hanging again. One more coat before work in the morning, and then depending on how it looks tomorrow night, maybe one more.

Meanwhile, the neck came today - wow, it may be a Squier but it's nice! Nice birdseye figure, not gawdy at all, and nice grain on the rosewood. Decent thickness, no wear at all on the medium frets, and super straight. Here's a couple mockups (done before poly tonight):
    [​IMG]

Indoor light makes it a little more orange - the color in the ferrule shots is dead on. Here's a full length shot:
    [​IMG]

Looks like the GFS pickups won't get here until Monday, so that means the poly will cure for about six days - that's good! This is going to be fun to bolt together!

17. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Last night the last coat of poly went on the body. Very shiny, very smooth on the hard bits, and no surface scratches to be seen. I can only think what I was seeing was light 320-grit sanding marks in the shellac .... I'll get a pic in the natural light tomorrow maybe - although I think y'all are familiar with this body by now!

Tonight I worked a little on the neck. The headstock had been sanded by the previous owner ... and had a lot of scratches. I sanded with 320, gave it a coat of poly day before yesterday, then rubbed with some old No. 7 rubbing compound tonight. Wow, it worked! I had some decals already made and just went with the simple name type of deal:
    [​IMG]

I really like the figure on this neck - here's a shot of the back, up near the transition:
    [​IMG]

Nice birdseye and subtle flame along the back and edges. Not gaudy, but interesting and pretty. Hard to believe this was a Squier! It's got 22 frets and already has an overhang, so no freehand routing this time!
    [​IMG]

I hope it has tone! The tuners should be here tomorrow, but I'll probably shoot a coat of Deft over the decal tomorrow and let it dry until Monday as well.

18. jaythebassist

jaythebassist TDPRI Member

Mark this build is inspiring man. The Ketchupcaster was one of my faves in the challenge (and sounds great, too). Thanks for posting all this... makes me even more excited to get mine started.

-jtb

19. Guitfiddler

Guitfiddler Tele-Meister

That is a gorgeous collection of ash. I'm glad you decided to go natural on this one, it's going to turn out great. How heavy is it? My ash tele is pretty stout.

20. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

Hi Mark,

Love the grain and the rosewood neck. I can't wait to hear how you like those GFS pups...

Cheers,

Murray

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.