One Piece Plus Wing - Two Piece Ash Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mark-00255, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Well I didn't even last a week since finishing the Ketchup Caster .... I just had to start in on another build! I have a Tex Mex Fender Bridge PU that I scored, and I want a black Tele. So the first step is to figure out what part of the Ash board I want to use. After a couple nights of laying out boards next to each other, I found I liked the whorl in one piece, and at 10.5 inches wide, it's almost wide enough ... almost. So, what if I add a four inch section leftover from the Ketchup Caster ripping, and just add a wing? So it's mostly a one piece. Is that a good idea? Here goes - laid out the pieces:
    [​IMG]

Clamped and glued:
    [​IMG]

See that whorl - kinda cool, huh?

2. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Here's my two choices of how to lay out the body, using the main piece with just a couple inches of the other as a wing:
    [​IMG]

The left-hand option shows the whorl in the bottom bout area. Below where the bridge would go. Here's the end grain of the two pieces:
    [​IMG]

So is this a bad idea to make an almost one-piece with a wing? The left hand option the wing will be in the control plate, cutaway section. You can see the control plate penciled in above. In the right hand option the wing would just be hanging out in the upper bout area.

What I like about the one piece with wing idea is I'm thinking that sonically I would get some excellent spank out of the slab-based grain under the bridge/pickup/neck. Any opinions? Tell me before I cut it out!

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

If your going to paint it black, I really don't think it matters.

4. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

I mis-spoke. I think I'll go for a ebony stain with white binding look. Sort of a charcoal effect, so the grain would be somewhat visible.

I guess I'm asking structurally as well if this glue-up is a problem.

5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Having the seam run through the control cavity might, I say might, be a problem. But that's the only one I see.

6. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

Hey Mark,

Nice looking wood! The glue seam should be stronger than the wood if done properly, which we all know you will. :D

Cheers,

Murray

7. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like the one on the right. Looks one piece!

Don't worry about strength at the join. Titebond is stronger than lignin/hemicellulose.

8. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Binding Advice?

Thanks for the input, guys! From a symmetrical aesthetic perspective, the one on the right is nicer, and it does look more like a one-piece. But there's something out there about the left-hand one ... Looks like I've got a date with a bandsaw either tomorrow night or Wed. Hafta decide then!

Meanwhile, I don't have a rabbiting bit for cutting a binding channel. And I was looking at the Stew Mac binding and see lots of different widths. The .090 X .250 looks like it's got something to it - the rest look pretty thin. So I think I'll go looking at bits as well, and plan on the the right bit for the right binding. I'll study some of the other build threads a little, but I would be interested in opinions/advice on good binding and sizes. Thanks!

9. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

photobucket is down for maintenance or I'd post a pic of LP Custom binding detail...

thet're bound with what I believe is 6 layers of .02 (wbwbwb) and then edged with .09 white that is scraped back to about .08.

wait - let me try uploading here...

Attached Files:

10. SharkDaddy

SharkDaddy TDPRI Member

Mark,

I like the look of the one on the left. It kinda looks like it has a bellybutton.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Looks great, Mark!

12. Arcmaster

Arcmaster TDPRI Member

This makes 3 Mark

Hey Mark Looks Good. By the way Mark was nice enough to bring over the Ketchup Caster to my house and let me try it out! Thats a great guitar! And Mark is a super nice guy. It was a real treat meeting him in person. I'm gonna be watchin his posts and following along. Best of Luck on this build!

And If ya need to borrow that bit I have the one your talkin about from stew mac, Just let me know.

13. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Thanks guys - and thanks Arcmaster! It was good to meet a fellow TDPRI'r right here in town! You've got some cool jigs in the works!

My daughter liked the whorly side too, so that tipped the scales. Borrowed the bandsaw tonight and had at it:
    [​IMG]

The flash really emphasizes the chevron effect of the two pieces coming together below where the control plate will go - it's not that pronounced in natural light. I'll rout tomorrow night probably, and it's payday tomorrow too, so I'll buy some stuff!

I'm thinking of some maple binding like this from the Stew Mac site - but that might be too adventuresome for my first binding job!
    [​IMG]

14. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Well this build is much more slow going than the previous - no deadline here! Looks like I've got a RW board neck on the way. And I've got most of the body sanding, the bridge pickup and neck routs done except for some finish sanding:
    [​IMG]

I've done a 3/8 roundover on the back, and still can't decide on the top. I just can't bring myself to order any binding yet ... maybe I'll leave it with a minimal roundover on top. I really like the crisp line you get with this Ash! I bought a used iron the other day and will do the final sanding when the routs are all done.

I'm working on a test board for my finish and hope to have that ready by about Monday night. Taking that slow, too.

Finally, I think I've decided on rear-rout again, and a P90 in the neck position, or maybe even a GFS Retrotron HB! I'll re-do the outer rout guide if I rear rout it ... I'd be interested in opinions on pickups and styles for this. I do have a new piece of aluminum for a homemade bridge!

One more thing ... check out the cool way the grain came together on the horn:
    [​IMG]
    Couldn't have done that if I tried!

15. Quintin

Quintin Tele-Meister

Oh. That was meant to be that way! That's going to be nice to look at.

16. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Thanks Quintin - I think so too! I love some cool wood grain - in case nobody guessed that already.

I've got most of the routing done, have built another Ketchupcaster-style aluminum bridge, have a Squier SE birsdeye/RW neck on the way, and just scored a 52 HR PG with extra strat PU rout! Here's some shots - back of the neck headstock:
    [​IMG]

Pickguard - supposedly this is a Fender stock item, although I've never seen a 52 HR with a middle PU. I've always wanted to build one like this, though, with a mini-HB in the neck and a strat middle PU! Can't wait now.
    [​IMG]

Bridge and most bodywork done - still have to route the mini-hb and middle PU slots. And, I still have some finish sanding (after ironing) to do:
    [​IMG]

Finally, here's some test boards; the bigger one has a mix of wipe-on poly and ebony stain; the smaller is just the straight ebony stain and a few coats of poly (no sealer, which will not work, that's for sure). I've got some Zinnser shellac/sealer I'll be using to seal it (after ironing!). Honestly, I don't really like either one ... might just hit it with two coats of the zinnser, get it really flat and smooth, then poly for a totally natural finish.
    [​IMG]

17. cpeters01

cpeters01 Tele-Meister

Hi Mark

I am looking at building a similar bridge to yours because it is spectacular...I noticed that the string holes are in front of the mounting holes on the new one, and that the string holes were placed quite far back from where they come off the saddles on the first one.

So, did you make the new one longer AND move the string holes forward or just switch them around (placement front to back)with the mounting holes? The new one seems to look longer but I am not sure because of the picture angles.

18. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Sharp eyes, man! Yes, this one is longer. I moved the string through holes out from the end bar by 1/8 inch. It's a tough bend for the strings up through the modern saddles on the Ketchupcaster bridge, so I changed it a little on this one. The original design would work great for barrel saddles, but with six rectangular block style modern saddles ... kinda tough for string changing! I made the whole bridge plate a corresponding 1/8 longer, but it is coming out with a little different curve under the pickup rout. This new one is a little more squared off ... the original one maybe looks better and I may make a third that is a compromise and uses three barrels.

19. cpeters01

cpeters01 Tele-Meister

Well it wasn't the first glance that caught it...I was doing a drawing, made the discovery and then went investigating...I like the idea of saddles rather than barrels. My experience with barrels has always been a little sharp or flat on 1 of the two strings...it seems to me that to be able to individually intonate is a better solution. I think I will just move the holes forward. Anyway I will hack something up over the next week or so and maybe post some pics...but only if I come back alive from skiing in Jasper, Alberta with my boys...Cheers.

20. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

I was going to say something bad like what is wrong with you covering up that sweet Ash grain with a solid color?
    I would like to know where you got it I am looking for more figured Ash for new builds such as my Ash top Alder back sunburst Tele I am thinking of.
    Keep it sweet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.