1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

One Owner 1969 Super Reverb AB568 Restoration

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by HD28, Apr 4, 2021.

How should this amp be restored and or modified?

1. Restore the amp cosmetically leaving electronics as-built.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Restore the amp cosmetically, only replacing the filter caps, failed caps and resistors as required

19 vote(s)
    79.2%
  3. Restore the amp cosmetically and full on blackface the circuit.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. HD28

HD28 TDPRI Member

I acquired a 1969 Super Reverb silverface, no drip edge, original foot pedal and cover, amp from the son of the original owner, an accordion player, in rural Manitoba, Canada. No one has been under the hood of this amp except me. There are no apparent problems with this amp except 51 years.
    I will post from time to time on the progress, trials, and tribulations of the restoration process. Cabinet first and then the electronics. Thanks to @Wally, @schmee, @jondanger, and @Andy_B for helping me identify the circuit in https://www.tdpri.com/threads/1969-fender-super-reverb-sf-circuit-id.1067520/
    These are some before pictures.

Attached Files:

2. HD28

HD28 TDPRI Member

More before pictures. There was a lot of dust inside the cabinet, but everything was where it was supposed to be. There was a bit of separation between the tolex and the bottom of the amp. No water or rain damage per se, but I suppose the amp may have been set down in the snow after a gig and then melted in the car ride home resulting in the separation.
    I used LePage carpenters glue for the tolex and fresh painters tape as a clamp as required. I used a citrus/ oxy based cleaner for the tolex and the pine cabinet to get rid of grime and 50 years of dust. I used automotive dry wash, such as McGuires, to further clean the tolex after the dust was gone.

Attached Files:

gridlock likes this.
  3. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

That’s a very nice amp. I’ve owned an early ‘69 Drip-Edge Super and a late ‘69 (no Drip-Edge) Super, neither as nice as yours.

Congratulations and I can’t wait to see your fished restoration (though it appears that it doesn’t need much work).

HD28 likes this.
  4. HD28

HD28 TDPRI Member

Cleaning and restoring the cabinet.
    The tolex had lifted or separated in a few places. On the bottom of the amp where, perhaps it was set in the snow, the separation was the worst. The panel behind the power tubes was so so, not much of a concern. Most all of the separation was from age, except for the bottom.
    BTW, there was no rot at all in the wood.
    I used carpenters glue with a thin bamboo skewer to poke and smoosh the glue into the void between tolex and wood, or tolex to tolex. To smoosh it around into the separation where fat fingers could not reach. It worked well.
    A damp rag cleans off the glue, followed by a dry towel to further remove excess glue and dry the surface in preparation for the green painters tape used as clamps. You MUST use some form or restraint or clamp! Tape or rubber bands or clamps with wood blocks. Glue doesn’t work without it.
    I use wax paper in between the tolex and the tape. Glue won’t stick to wax paper, or any surface that has been rubbed with paraffin or candle wax.
    it is WAY easier to clean wet glue than dried/cured glue so act fast and clean up your mess ASAP to prevent grief.
    Nowadays, (Christ, I sound like my grandpa) there is parchment paper readily available. I understand that it is silicon infused paper that is non stick. I’ve never used it for gluing, but it sounds like it may be the new “carpenters wax paper”
    Here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

Wally likes this.
  5. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I think it may need more work than you realize, to get all the accordion out of it. :D

For the record, I voted for repairing/replacing as required. Let the BFs be BFs, there’s nothing wrong with a SF.

dannyh, AlbertaGriff, hepular and 3 others like this.
  6. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a '69 SR that I really regretted selling - it was a magnificent huge-sounding amp, even at low volumes.

It was purchased at a local shop specializing in vintage guitars and amps. The previous owner had it balckfaced, recapped, and fully serviced before selling it the shop. I tried it and "buyed" it.

Blackfacing is great, but the most important is changing the bias balance adjust to a (simple) bias voltage adjust circuit. It's really easy - I did it my self on an '86 Concert amp.

My amp had original CTS alnico speakers. Those are the "grail" in my book.

[​IMG]

I had it recapped and serviced before listing it for sale. The tech assured me that I didn't need new e-caps, but I had them replaced anyway. I wanted to be sure that my buyer would be happy with the amp. He is.

Congratulations on your "new" amp day. You have one the best amps ever made.

HD28 and gridlock like this.
  7. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

Cosmetics are perfect! Restore electronically and add blackface mods if you want them

sax4blues, HD28 and Glen W like this.
  8. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I also did the restore thing to my ‘68 Super. My wife could not believe the before and after results with just a good deep cleaning. My tech replaced all the preamp tubes and gave it a good once-over. Luckily my amp recently had new Filter Caps and a 3-prong plug installed so that saved me some money. My amp also has CTS Alnico’s, I do wish that I had your original stock grill-cloth. Still, I’m pretty thrilled with my amp. A Super, may be my favorite Fender amp.

B8CC26E8-6312-435D-B182-A209474F30E8.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Telecaster1954 and HD28 like this.
  9. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just about what I was gonna say. Only thing I needed to do cosmetically on my '66 after I found it 18 years ago was to change out the glides on the bottom, as the rubber was pretty crumbly at that point. Bias balance to true bias adj is a good change to do.

HD28 likes this.
  10. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I may have it wrong, but I think that it's possible to have one channel BF and one channel SF. It's something I read.
    Otherwise, great buy, do as much or as little as you prefer.

HD28 likes this.
  11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice amp, HD28. I would recap, mod the balance circuit to a true bias voltage adjustment, and do good general service. For all intents and purposes it is a BF circuit then. The cab is the same floating baffle. Prime acquisition, imho.
    It would be of interest what the voltages were after recapping, and one would want to have a voltage chart from before the work as a baseline. When they are that clean, I would expect or at least hope for some lightly used preamp tubes of great quality.
    It ain’t easy being green. That would be an SR that I could not have passed on unless the price was unreasonable.

hepular and HD28 like this.
  12. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

My best friend had a '69 Super Reverb. It was a killer amp. I'd just make sure it's up to snuff, and go with it it.

HD28 and Fretting out like this.
  13. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m with most the other votes so far, keep it original as possible only replacing what is needed

In 10 years when people really get into cbs era gear you’ll wish you left it alone

It’s only original once! On that note I agree with changing caps and such but messing with the circuit is another level of debauchery

SoK66, wblynch, HD28 and 1 other person like this.
  14. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

On the top of your amp, you could try some dish soap and a toothbrush to deep clean the tolex. .. wipe off well with a dampened rag and dry w a fan. Worked pretty good for me on some super dirty amps.

HD28 likes this.
  15. Wally

The cathode Biasing and the 2000pfd snubbers can be lifted from their chassis ground points and left in place. A piece of ground wire between the cathode and the chassis then reverts the output section to BF specs. The bias voltage circuit can be established very simply. One new resistor is needed, and three resistors go into a bag with the old electrolytics for posterity. Then, one has the same circuit that Fender shipped starting in the fall of 1963 and used until May, 1968. imho and ime, this would not affect the value of the amp in a negative way. IF one thinks that this is approach is a negative, then I would suggest doing the cosmetic aspect of things and either storing the amp until someone thinks it is worth a large amount of money or selling it to the highest bidder as it is.
    Ime, that might be a long wait. fwiw, a BF Super Reverb has lost a huge amount of value when one calculates for inflation over the last 25 years...maybe 42%. Amazing it is to me, but that is the reality. 25 years ago, the TR was the highest valued, non-celebrity connected BF amp with the SR being second highest. Certain factors have changed all of that, and my guess is that this market will not change its assessment of the big amps.
    I never make irreversible changes to these old amps, but I do believe in making them be the best that they can be IF someone watts to use one.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    SoK66, Paul G., Glen W and 2 others like this.
  16. HD28

HD28 TDPRI Member

51 years of dust gone. About half of the speaker mounting screws had vibrated their way loose.

Attached Files:

17. Wally

^^^^^^^Beautiful!!!

HD28 likes this.
  18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

That's a very nice amp!

HD28 likes this.
  19. HD28

HD28 TDPRI Member

The tolex on the amp in the picture is so clean. Did you clean it? What did you use? Did you them put some sort of preservative on it? Like armorAll?

20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

If I had that circuit I'd of course replace all the electrolytic caps and make sure everything else is ok. And put in a bias voltage pot, leaving the stock balance pot and circuit in tact.
    That way you can hear the AB568 working correctly in all its glory. After that if you want to mod to blackface you aren't out anything but some time.

HD28 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.