One of these Strats is leaving in the next several month

Spox

Tele-Meister
Swap necks. Edit, that was a daft post, in seriousness personally I would keep the '57 as there is something about the ash/maple/strat which just does it for me, I own five of them and it would be difficult to move on any of them, two are s/s/s so it would probably be one of those which I would sell whereas the other three are different pickup configurations. This is a purely personal opinion and therefore worth diddlysquat. Edit, they're not '57 RIs or even Fenders so not high monetary value items.

Last edited:

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
Neither!
If I had a dollar for every time I've heard "I should have never got rid of it" or "I wish I still had it," I could take those dollars and buy another one!

BTW, this also applies to cool old cars and hot rods.

Last edited:

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Out of those two, I would keep the ‘57. Because I would have hopes that if I played it enough it would start to look like Eddy Shaver’s sunburst Strat.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Cool! But a 57 Strat should be 2 tone sunburst not 3 right? Or have I got that wrong?

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
Not a fan of 2-tone sunbusts but given that I just recently got a 57 AVRI, I realized that one-pc maple necks are still fun to have.

I’m a rosewood kind of guy and 100% id choose the rosewood strat, but Im getting here in your post that you like the 57 better.

However, if you’re culling down, id probably try and see if I can do better than these two guitars. If I can, I’ll sell both and get an even better one - well this is mostly speaking from experience as I sold all to fund my 330. Hahaha

posttoastie

Friend of Leo's
The 61 looks like a Fender Road Worn but way more expensive. It even has the same arm wear as every Road Worn but is not relic'd as well as the RW. Good luck on your decision.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
As soon as I can determine which one. They both have their charms and neither has any deficits. The 57 NOS has a clarity and chime that is wonderful and I think it better looking. The neck has aged is darker now. The neck is a mid 60s C, same as the 61 Relic but it feels slightly thinner. The 61 has more growl. I'm so so, on it's particular relic treatment but it's still a great guitar. I vacillate on which one I like more. I'm just at the point where I'm tired of maintaining multiple instruments. I'll still have a Strat, Tele and LP. (I'm also getting down to one acoustic).
View attachment 997816

I'd say stick with the 57 NOS!

1) The 57 has a maple fretboard and as was decreed from above, Teles and Strats need maple.

2) You're iffy about the relic job. I totally feel you. Can't abide by the practice myself. Just play the hell out of your 57 NOS
and you'll have a real relic soon enough.

MattAndTheMachine

TDPRI Member
Though I prefer rosewood necks on strats, I have to say that burst and the grain on the 57 are awesome!
Maybe get her a nice vintage pickguard?

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
This thread has real decision-making potential.

Clearly this is a sign that it’s time to buy a Rick or a Gretsch.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
The 61 looks like a Fender Road Worn but way more expensive. It even has the same arm wear as every Road Worn but is not relic'd as well as the RW. Good luck on your decision.
That's a little harsh verdict from just the picture. A road worn isn't in the same hemisphere of this Relic. This is far from the mass produced, photo finish quality of a road worn.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
That would be a tough choice for me. Everyone should have 2 Strats, 1 maple and 1 rosewood. I prefer maple boards, but I like 3 TSB bodies. If I got one more build in me it'll be an early 59 knockoff with the best of both those guitars. Honestly, if one really has to go make a decision first based on the one that plays and sounds the best. If it's a tie pick the one you find the most attractive. Then if you're still torn, flip a coin. 😄

posttoastie

Friend of Leo's
That's a little harsh verdict from just the picture. A road worn isn't in the same hemisphere of this Relic. This is far from the mass produced, photo finish quality of a road worn.
I am sorry, my bad, Mea Cupa. You asked which guitar to keep. I owned a 60s Fender Road Worn and they are not photo finish, they also have an Alder body.

The R W below is not in the league of your guitars but you asked and I voted to keep the 57.
1657312768467.png