One of the eighties greatest forgotten bands: Squeeze.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

They definitely were a big part of the music that helped to revive the "spirit" of music for me after a lackluster late 70s and early 80s. I still listen to them fairly regularly or at least as often as I need to refresh my memory for all the lyrics of Up The Junction! God bless the Brits, they saved music AGAIN!:)

brookdalebill and 41144 like this.
  2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Absolute classic!

I used to play Pulling Mussels with a band back in the ‘90s but we didn’t manage to find a keyboard player so we skipped the piano solo and the third verse, straight into the double chorus and outro after the guitar solo. I can still remember all the lyrics to the first 2 verses and the 3rd one always catches me out..! Talking about adding it to the set list with the current band.

3. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hearing Squeeze always brings a smile.

brookdalebill, Greggorios and 41144 like this.
  4. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome music; I absolutely loved it and such great lyrics.

brookdalebill, djh22 and Greggorios like this.
  5. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

I always dug this tune. It's some great guitar pop. Very sharp-witted and very British.

6. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Ha, I can't stand most of those bands - it's all about opinions.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, kitchen sink lyrics.

drlucky likes this.
  8. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

boris, what a shame, you missed out on so much. I was a student from 75-79 and so saw lots of good bands play, many of them more than once. Along with Squeeze there was, Graham Parker & the Rumour, Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe in Rockpile, Ian Dury & the Blockheads, Dr Feelgood, The Pretenders, Ian Hunter & Mick Ronson, Roxy Music, Alex Harvey, Elvis Costello, The Jam, Average White Band, the Who, Queen, The Clash, Andy Fairweather Low, Bill Nelson's Be Bop Deluxe, Sad Cafe, Rory Gallagher, The Buzzcosks, Robert Palmer, Chris Rea, the Stranglers, The Specials, The Police, Madness, Nazareth, Eric Clapton, Joan Armatrading, Elkie Brooks and a load more I have forgotten.

Over from the states we had Little Feat, Don McLean, Blondie, Hall & Oates, Santana, Dylan, Cheap Trick,

Of course I also had to watch a number of really dodgy bands along the way, but least said about that the better.

Howdog and djh22 like this.
  9. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Forgotten? Not over here, they get played on the radio regularly, I do think of them as a 1970's band though. Saw them live once in about 1977, Simple Minds were the support, must have been about 30 people there, Cool for cats came out just afterwards, kicked them back off again.

brookdalebill and Greggorios like this.
  10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Its a weird thing. I went to college in the early 90s and every girl I knew had their album. It was a guaranteed way of them and their roommates all rallying around it whenever it was played. The music sounded very polished and dated to me, like a bunch of studio musicians playing on an early 80s album aimed at lovelorn teenage girls. Not to say it was bad, just that it felt like "not my music" whenever it was on. And it was on a LOT, where I was.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What a wonderful list of bands.

I apologize. I didn't mean to suggest I was dead from 1974-1978. But you know, for the most part when I did get to see some of the people you list above, I did see many of them after mid 1979. A lot of them were still active and superb in the later years. I still feel that Joan Armatrading concert I saw in 1983 at the Saenger was one of the half dozen best shows I've seen in my lifetime.

But it was like I was some sort of tourist. And then when I did see Clapton, he wasn't particularly good at all. I guess I would say, we can't be everywhere all at once, doing all things at once. Some of my classmates listened to no music at all, and finished higher in class than I. Your list suggests to me that, had I taken a year off before law school and gone to the UK, I might have discovered that music was still alive and well. But at least I eventually got back up to speed.

I think I would have enjoyed seeing The Jam and The Stranglers, most.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  12. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My sis and I saw them in Omaha last year (with the wonderful K.T Tunstall opening for them), and they were utterly fantastic. The songs have held up over time, and they sound better live.

Glenn is one hell of a Tele player and his B-Bender Tele is used in one of the most masterful ways I've heard this side of Marty Stuart. Oh, and the keyboard player played the synth pounding synth intro to "Take Me I'm Yours" doing karate chops on the MiniMoog!

One thing I really noticed is that their records were poorly recorded or mastered, because live there's a liveliness to the sound that on record is kind of muddy. If they did a remastered set, I'd snap it up.

Here there are:

[​IMG]
    Squeeze, Holland Center For The Arts, Omaha, NE, September 04, 2019
    by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Movie Making, Squeeze, Holland Center For The Arts, Omaha, NE, September 04, 2019

[​IMG]

13. fredwrites

fredwrites TDPRI Member

Not forgotten at my house! Best: East Side Story and Argy Bargy!!! Saw Chris Difford solo acoustic at Maxwell’s in Hoboken. He played my favorite song on request: Labelled With Love. I actually have iPhone video of it somewhere.

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

It really threw me to see Squeeze described as "forgotten" in this thread's headline when I hear them almost every day on the Sirius-XM First Wave channel.

Greggorios and brookdalebill like this.
  15. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I saw Squeeze at the Foxx in Atlanta in 1985. They were the featured act. The Hooters were on the bill with them. Great concert!

brookdalebill likes this.
  16. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

No need to apologise. I still saw quite a few bands when I moved to London in 79, but once I moved out in '85 I started a family and rarely saw a band for the next 15 years.

I saw a great Santana gig in the late 70's at Leeds Uni, then again in the early 80's saw him play the Wembley Arena when I hated the gig. I'm sure Clapton has played his share of sub par gigs, I know that I have.

About nine years ago Glenn Tillbrook recorded an album (The Co-operative) with my favourite 80's band Nine Below Zero;

boris bubbanov and brookdalebill like this.
  17. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Don't know about the experiences of other people who lived during the 80's, but my nostalgia for the time is a bit tempered by how violent and drug addled things were then. I have memories from 1980's Orange County where I still wonder WTF happened there. Anyway, kids today have social media, which I'm sure has its own equivalent nightmarish aspects, but I think the physical violence and burned out atmospherics of the 80's were unique. It's only now that I look back on it, compare it with following decades, and realize how uniquely warped it was. That was my experience, of course, probably very different for others.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  18. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

_20201001_091919.JPG Got to admit to being the world's biggest Squeeze fan. I'm lucky enough to have met them many times. Hell! Glenn Tilbrook even played at my wedding..... If you look at a few of my other posts, those Squeeze affectionardo's may recognise a few of my instruments. I think they are vastly underrated, a true gem of the world's music scene. I'll leave you with this photo - some time ago, they performed a very short acoustic set in the middle of London's Soho district. In the middle of the street. My friend asked me to video this for him. What you'll see is a screenshot from that video. Half way through Take Me I'm Yours, Glenn offered me his guitar, and asked if I wanted to play the solo? Much to my eternal shame, I completely **** myself! I bottled it.

19. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Toast and brookdalebill like this.
  20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just want to add my voice to the others that said Squeeze is not forgotten.
    They are/were the greatest British pop band since the Liverpudlians, IMO.
    Their songs haunt me, in the best possible way.
    Thanks for listening.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.