One of our students just cut off three fingers!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P-Nutz, Jan 11, 2011.

1. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I teach in a larger, inter-urban school, and as I was walking by the nurse's office, I hear LOUD moaning, and all heck was breaking loose. Then, one of the shop teacher's comes running by me, saying, "My worst nightmare just happened!"

Turns out one of our students lopped off his thumb, index finger and tip of his middle finger on a table saw!

Fortunately, at least according to the paramedics, the prognosis is good for re-attachment, but DAY-UM!

This, on top of the local TV station mis-reporting this morning that the school district was closed for the day because of a big snow storm (it wasn't!) and AFTER everyone was just getting to school!

Sucks to be my principal right now ...

2. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Probably sucks worse to be the kid missing 3 fingers...

3. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

wow thats gotta suck

4. fendermetalhead

fendermetalhead Tele-Meister

I couldn't imagine losing fingers. I would give up a testicle before i gave up a finger any day. Poor kid, hope they can reattach them. Must be a pretty complicated surgery though.

5. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

Proper etiquette dictates persons with any recently severed limbs, appendages, or digits are allowed off of the elevator first.

Bodybuilder notwithstanding.

[​IMG]

6. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That sucks!

A buddy of mine had a guy in his 60s working with him part time as a helper, and the helper was cutting down some doors on a table saw. My buddy warned him to use a push stick, but he ignored him. Lost three fingers. They reattached them, but I don't know how well it healed.

7. djangomango

djangomango Tele-Holic

I can't imagine loosing a finger or more than just a finger.

Poor kid.

8. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Zimbo's got 'im a stalker!

9. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

A cousin of mine lost the index and middle finger of his right hand to a sheet-metal cutter. Don't know exactly how it happened. The really painful irony is that he was conducting an OSHA safety inspection when it happened.

10. big-daddy-59

big-daddy-59 Tele-Holic

Hasn't your school district heard of the Saw Stop?

http://www.sawstop.com/

that accident could AND should have been prevented.

11. ShRedneck

ShRedneck Tele-Meister

I severed my right index finger in about 1990 or so. I had a job repairing air nailers, and while servicing a framing nailer, I test fired it into a board. The nail (a 3 1/4 inch framing spike) mis-fired, and shattered the tool's nose, and blew out sideways, and severed my finger from the tip-most knuckle to the tip. It was barely hanging on there.

I was rushed to the hospital with my finger in a cup of ice. My mind raced with thoughts of how I would hold a guitar pick (seriously. My first thought was "I have a show tommorrow!")

At the hospital, the doctor told me they would have to amputate at the next knuckle up. I was not taking that answer at all, and put up a hell of a stink about it.

They then called in a plastic surgeon, who rushed in and decided he could save my finger. He removed the shattered bone fragments from my finger tip, threaded a metal rod into what was left of the bone, and sutured on my finger tip. He needed to use wire to suture the fingernail, which was shattered into 3 pieces.

I was sent home, and told I would probably never have full use of my finger again. I couldn't move it at all!!

I made it thru the show the next night by gripping my pick between my middle finger and thumb, and taped a tongue depressor to my index finger to get it out of the way.

Turned out, I ended up using this modified grip for a few years. Every night I would move my index finger back and forth with my other hand, hoping to get mobility back.

Now, years down the road, I think I'm close to fully recovered. I don't have full feeling in my finger, and require guitar picks with grip material. But I can use it! It gets colder than the rest of my hand in cold weather (guessing due to the metal rod), and my fingernail grows extremely slowly. I only have to trim it once a year! But it's there! It's also 1/8 -3/16 of an inch shorter than my left finger. But it works!!

I'm hoping your student can recover fully! I only injured a fingertip, and I would be terrified to be in his position. I guess my story just shows that recovery is an option! Even my few minor issues are far better than the thought of not having it.

Thoughts and prayers sent for a full recovery...

12. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

Best wishes to the student included!

13. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ouch!!

14. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I hate this crap. I had an eye injury in my twenties and the original eye surgeon wanted to leave me basically blind in that eye. I would have to wear a coke bottle lens on that eye and regular on the other. I went to another doctor and he got me to 20/20 with normal glasses and 20/40 without glasses. That friggin butcher would have maimed me for life.

As for shop stories; in junior high shop class a girl got a chunk of hair/scalp pulled out on a grinding wheel.

15. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I hope the shop teacher has an instruction sheet signed by the kid, and he passed it, and he was being supervised, and he belongs to the union. He could be in world of hurt if he hasn't covered his butt on this.....if he's young he might not have learned the CYA motto. I've never seen a district back a teacher in these kinds of situations. I would be surprised if they back him. one would hope so but the odds are against it. good luck to him and the kid.

ce24

16. yark14

yark14 Friend of Leo's

I'm surprised you guys had school today in Des Moines. The interstates are a mess.

17. yark14

yark14 Friend of Leo's

Thats a great story. Playing the day after getting a finger cut off. Amazing.

18. KDAD

KDAD Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I work construction and a few years ago one of the carpenters cut off a finger with a Skil saw.

On the way to the hospital, he called his wife and told her that he had cut off the finger.

"The whole finger?" she asked.

"No, the one next to it."" he answered.

19. Esquire52

Esquire52 Tele-Meister

When I was 13 I lopped the tips of my middle and first once with a bench sander and once with a pillar drill. I later got a class 2 burns all over my left hand from over 100 deg celsius water which f****d them up even more - possibly the most painful thing I've ever done. It also meant I couldn't play guitar for 11 wks so I had to re teach myself :(

20. roscoestring

roscoestring Tele-Holic

Several years ago a 7 year old girl at our church wanted me to teach her to play mandolin. On her left hand the two middle fingers were shorter than the other (birth defect). After watching me play for a few minutes she decided that she would never be able to play with fingers such as her's. I told her to come to the next lesson anyways. In the meantime I went home, taped my two middle fingers together and folded them into my palm and duct taped them to my palm. I learned to play the mandolin this way. When I went back to the class to teach her (there were several students there) everyone thought that I had injured my hand. Then I picked up the mandolin and played. She was amazed that it could be done that way. (so was I). She is 14 now and has lost interest in the mandolin but she can still play. She actually got pretty good on it.

Encourage the kid to start back as soon as possible.

I also watched a man play a Strat one night with only his left arm. He had no right arm. He could play better than I can.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.