1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

One Of My GF's Butterflies

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Aug 31, 2018.

1. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Butterflies.... ;) ccrp_1104_07_o%2bholley_carburetor_rebuild%2bthrottle_blades.jpg.cf.jpg

LocoTex, Average_Joe and tery like this.
  2. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Nice. Some friends are doing the same NW of here, I’ll ask them more about it.

When I first bought here 27 years ago there was a lotta milkweed and many monarchs. We still have plenty of the former but fewer of the latter. I know monarchs had some problems in their wintering grounds and elsewhere so a little help is good. I’ll see what we can do.

3. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Holic

The wife and I were riding motorcycles through the Texas Hill Country one year. We both had high stress jobs and that particular weekend was the only one we could get away. Unfortunately - unbeknown to us - that just so happened to be the weekend the Monarchs chose to migrate through Texas. There were literally millions of them flying around - and oddly enough the little beggars seem to have no concept of "right of way". Let's just say it wasn't a pretty sight and leave it at that...

4. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Let's just say his girlfriend has a boyfriend with a lot of camera patience. Good that you two found each other.

5. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Great photo in #1 post Bones. You have the magic touch or a $10million camera.

DC

6. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

What's eating the eggs? Eggs are tasty. Maybe you should destroy the animal that is eating all the eggs, and then you wouldn't have to do all this trouble.:)

7. El Famoso

El Famoso Tele-Meister

tery likes this.
  8. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

We allow wild milkweed to grow in a few areas of our yard.

Last year we had 1 caterpillar successfully form a cocoon and emerge.

This year we have 2 milkweed in that spot, and had 1 caterpillar that I'd been watching. It was pretty big, and then it was gone. Thought perhaps it had fallen off, and the ground around the milkweed is thick wintercreeper, so we thought it was gone.

Few days later one appeared on the smaller of the 2 MW (it had been on the larger of the 2), but it was a little smaller. Figured it was the same one that had fallen, and found its way to a milkweed and started climbing.

Then it too disappeared.

Now there are 4 caterpillars back there. 2 about the same size and 2 that are tiny.

Doesn't look like there's enough leaves back there, and I've considered taking them, building an enclosure with wood boards and screen. Putting MW leaves in there, letting them form their cocoon.

We have a butterfly festival here (sponsored by Audubon), and the leader tags Monarchs. So far he's tagged 3000 of them, and some have been found in the Caribbean as well as Mexico.

When my mother was a little girl in the 40's, the road that goes around the northern part of the island (has big trees with the branches making a tunnel) would be so thick with them you couldn't walk or ride a bike down.

And she said there was a dead branch on a big tree that was so covered with butterflies that it broke and fell down.

At our community garden, there's a pollinator attractor plot (20-25 sq. feet) that I planted a wild milkweed, some black eyed Susan, purple cone flower, butterfly bush (that a neighbor had paid me to do some landscaping, gardening, yardwork for him told me to dig out and throw away, along with the black eyed Susan and cone flowers- I transplanted them to the garden, and they're going string), and some daisies. I also spread a packet of wildflower seeds.

9. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

We have lots of milkweed, but the only chrysalis I've seen was on a weed I'd rather not discuss.

10. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

It'd amazing to me that they evolved so their cocoons resemble the seed pods of a milkweed.

11. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

We need to do better. All of us.

JustStartingOut likes this.
  12. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful !

13. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

My wife planted some milkweed about 3 years ago. The first two years were lousy and the chrysalis we did get was chomped on. Last year we had one emerge only to have a garden spider jump on it when it was drying its wings. This year we had at least 15 caterpillars and 4 emerge so far with 3 to go.

14. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

That was one of my dad's BIG hobbies. When I was in high school our living room was filled with terrariums with caterpillars and chrysali (!) and I remember when the butterflies first hatch they don't know any better and will crawl onto your finger or arm while their wings inflate and dry out. Pretty amazing process. Their little feet have these sharp barbs which are a little pokey but not too bad.

15. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I had a student that owns a butterfly farm. The guy makes about 100 grand a year from weddings and the movie industry. He gets 6 bucks a piece for live ones and 3 bucks for dead ones.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

So where does she look/where do they lay the eggs and how big/small are they ?

17. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

18. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Thank you Bones! You always entertain and enlighten my day with your posts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.