One more thing I just learned to like about TDPRI

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
You're right there with me. For me though, I don't care if most of the profits leave the US. I really like that most Toyota vehicles built for the US are assembled here, which employs many many American workers. The CEO for GM has a huge salary that I don't care to fund. Also, American cars generally have too many buttons :eek:

The Tacomas for the US market are built in sunny San Antonio, TX.

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
The Tacomas for the US market are built in sunny San Antonio, TX.

Right on! Well, for now haha. I seem to remember 2022 being their target for the full transition to Mexico for all Tacomas. Right now I think the Mexico plant makes them for Mexico and Canada, is that correct?

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
No, you said "I was like that for years until ..." and I'm asking, like what?
Sorry. I was an USA only dude. Especially since I worked at auto related industry. But crappy cars made me look FYI

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I inherited my dad and stepmom’s camping/bug out vehicle, a plain white 1998 Toyota T-100 4wd, in 2008 with about 125K on it. It has had a hard life here as a farm truck, but has turned out to be one stout unit. The 3.4L V6 has been adequate to tow the occasional tractor and brush hog on a trailer, or take two horses to the vet, or haul a bunch of gravel, mulch or retaining wall bricks, or hay stacked as high and wide as I can safely strap it on.

207K now, getting a bit rusty around the rear fender openings and cab corners, but I’m calling that patina.

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
My parents have never bought a non domestic brand vehicle
I have never bought a non domestic brand vehicle
My sons have never bought a non domestic brand vehicle

I'm not chest pounding, i'm simply making the statement.

After being repeated ripped off on major repairs by two GM dealerships on two different full sized SUVs and buying a Chrysler Minivan that could not be made right by two dealerships, I’ve been done with domestic brand vehicles for 12 years.
Simply making a statement.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
A new or a-few-years-old Tacoma is my absolute dream/retirement truck. Crew cab, 4wd, reasonably loaded, thanks. But my goodness they hold their value, and there aren't really that many traded in or for sale around here. That speaks volumes for their reliability IMHO.

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
Most threads don't live too long. It's nice!

I have a new Tacoma ordered and I've started putzing around a forum dedicated to owners of that vehicle. I joined hoping to get some good advice about general maintenance, good accessories, or otherwise helpful tips.

But wow, almost every thread over there has thousands of pages, most of the posts are garbage BS that's totally unrelated to the topic. Plus, the posts come in so fast there is almost no point to engaging anyone for any useful discussion. By the time you post something, the thread has moved on five pages.

There are a few awesome legacy threads here on TDPRI, but the vast majority live out their short lives mostly on topic, and we all get to move on. I'm not too keen on insane mods to a vehicle so I will probably delete my account there and see if searching gives me any humble answers I need.

I'd rather spend time here discussing the sleezy mods I do to my guitars with all you fine folk.

Carry on, and I'm sure many of you will derail this thread just to prove a point :lol:
Lots of smart people here.

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
A new or a-few-years-old Tacoma is my absolute dream/retirement truck. Crew cab, 4wd, reasonably loaded, thanks. But my goodness they hold their value, and there aren't really that many traded in or for sale around here. That speaks volumes for their reliability IMHO.

As soon as ya spend two minutes looking into the market for them, you realize why people just get them new. It's madness! So many are (asking for) $30k+ for a 3 year old truck with 50k miles on the odo. They're reliable and valuable, it's a hell of a combo.

When you get to shopping, test drive a lot of them. I'm 6'1 and my head was sticking out of the sunroof of one, yet I fit really well inside ones without.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
As soon as ya spend two minutes looking into the market for them, you realize why people just get them new. It's madness! So many are (asking for) $30k+ for a 3 year old truck with 50k miles on the odo. They're reliable and valuable, it's a hell of a combo.

When you get to shopping, test drive a lot of them. I'm 6'1 and my head was sticking out of the sunroof of one, yet I fit really well inside ones without.
Amen, I'm buying new and spending some time under warranty. There was a '98 with 200k+ on it that came up recently on FB Marketplace. Seller was asking $7,500 and will probably get it. A 25 year old vehicle.

My indirect experience with them has been solid. Former boss used to commute 130 daily miles in his first Tacoma and he had 350k on the odo when he was in an front-end offset collision with a Taurus. Both cars were totaled and he was banged up, but he replaced it with the then-current iteration of the same truck, and last I spoke to him, it had over 250k trouble-free miles on it.

Polar opposite of my F150 which needed a new engine before it saw 90k miles.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Right on! Well, for now haha. I seem to remember 2022 being their target for the full transition to Mexico for all Tacomas. Right now I think the Mexico plant makes them for Mexico and Canada, is that correct?

I think that's correct.

I remember my '72 Ford F100 was made in Canada.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I inherited my dad and stepmom’s camping/bug out vehicle, a plain white 1998 Toyota T-100 4wd, in 2008 with about 125K on it. It has had a hard life here as a farm truck, but has turned out to be one stout unit. The 3.4L V6 has been adequate to tow the occasional tractor and brush hog on a trailer, or take two horses to the vet, or haul a bunch of gravel, mulch or retaining wall bricks, or hay stacked as high and wide as I can safely strap it on.

207K now, getting a bit rusty around the rear fender openings and cab corners, but I’m calling that patina.

The T-100s could be fierce rusters. That took them out of circulation far more than anything mechanical.

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Amen, I'm buying new and spending some time under warranty. There was a '98 with 200k+ on it that came up recently on FB Marketplace. Seller was asking $7,500 and will probably get it. A 25 year old vehicle.

My indirect experience with them has been solid. Former boss used to commute 130 daily miles in his first Tacoma and he had 350k on the odo when he was in an front-end offset collision with a Taurus. Both cars were totaled and he was banged up, but he replaced it with the then-current iteration of the same truck, and last I spoke to him, it had over 250k trouble-free miles on it.

Polar opposite of my F150 which needed a new engine before it saw 90k miles.

An uncle of mine is a landscaper and racked up miles like crazy, as one would expect. He had a 1st gen that he ran for a couple hundred thousand before it broke down, and currently has over 200k on his 2nd gen. All he does is keep the fluids up to date, promptly, plus brakes and tires. They are trouble free workhorses that just run and run.

I don't think my Subaru would have an engine failure before 90k, it's a non turbo 2.0 liter, but there are other quality issues that made me decide to trade up before it loses all it's value.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
The T-100s could be fierce rusters. That took them out of circulation far more than anything mechanical.

Also, I think they undershot their goal of placing Americans’ idea of a full-size truck on the market. Regardless of payload ability, and the fact that it was significantly larger, the biggest engine option was a V6 with just under 200 hp, and it was seen as sort of a middle size category, like a Dodge Dakota.

I like to think Toyota then sent a bunch of engineers over here to eat big rare steaks while watching, then forming close relationships with, mud wrestlers at a scientifically chosen array of roadhouses across the nation. They and their new companions went to some tractor pulls and county fairs, and some ball games. They went on long road trips in the summer, and shopped at a lot of Wal Mart stores. At some point later their market research was augmented by all this, they got their sense of scale together and started building Tundras.

My dad replaced the T-100 with a Tundra, but mostly because the Tundra has really nice seats and he has a bad back. The T-100 seat is pretty dismal, but my back is okay and I don’t use the truck for long road trips anyway.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
My parents have never bought a non domestic brand vehicle
I have never bought a non domestic brand vehicle
My sons have never bought a non domestic brand vehicle

I'm not chest pounding, i'm simply making the statement.

EVERY vehicle where I am is an import now. The last local 'assembly' plant closed in the previous century. Good you still have choices ;)