One more thing I just learned to like about TDPRI

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
Hey Sconnie.....

I forgot to mention....I've had trucks most of my life.
When we went the Toyota route there was no way I'd have an automatic.....stick shift only for me.
No sun roof....got the bed liner also....it's a six speed and has that button for implementing a very low gear ratio to get out of muddy trouble.
I forgot the term that refers to that option.

Well....in this context, it's a fiscal call as to whether people can justify the Toyota prices.
But, I thought is was a prudent decision at that time and I'm glad we did it because we have a 16 year old truck that has been more reliable than any other vehicle I've owned.

Thanks for response....

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Yep.
Still a Japanese brand/corporation

You're right there with me. For me though, I don't care if most of the profits leave the US. I really like that most Toyota vehicles built for the US are assembled here, which employs many many American workers. The CEO for GM has a huge salary that I don't care to fund. Also, American cars generally have too many buttons :eek:

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Hey Sconnie.....

I forgot to mention....I've had trucks most of my life.
When we went the Toyota route there was no way I'd have an automatic.....stick shift only for me.
No sun roof....got the bed liner also....it's a six speed and has that button for implementing a very low gear ratio to get out of muddy trouble.
I forgot the term that refers to that option.

Well....in this context, it's a fiscal call as to whether people can justify the Toyota prices.
But, I thought is was a prudent decision at that time and I'm glad we did it because we have a 16 year old truck that has been more reliable than any other vehicle I've owned.

Thanks for response....

With the 4x4 you get high and low range gearing, and the off-road model I chose has a differential locker. I'm sure yours has something similar for those sticky situations. 4-hi has always served me well in the Denver climate, the extra stuff will hopefully not be needed as much!

Plus, the stick shift models still have a normal key, the choice was clear. Thanks for sharing your experience too!

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
Nice truck! I’ve got a TRD Tundra, but if I didn’t have so much stuff to haul all the time I would have gone for a Tacoma.

Of course, we had a look at the Tundras during our scouting out the Toyota truck options.
It's a beefy looking truck but it was far more than we needed.
I found out later they are all automatics which surprised me.
I've often wondered about the miles per gallon on those V8 Tundras....I'm guessing about 8-10 m/per gallon...yikes!....unless I'm wrong?

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Nice truck! I’ve got a TRD Tundra, but if I didn’t have so much stuff to haul all the time I would have gone for a Tacoma.

But pulling trailers and hauling feed made me choose the bigger model.

We only drive it when we really need it. The rest of the time we use the car. It’s considerably more comfortable.

The Tacoma will be my daily until I can spring for an electric city car :D

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The Tacoma will be my daily until I can spring for an electric city car :D

A buddy and I drive to a dark sky site for astrophotography about one per year (before the covid thing). I had my Taco and he had a Prius. I swear he could pack almost as much stuff in that little Prius, and that hybrid could boogie ... I don't think he let that thing get under 70mph very often.

It was 100 miles to the nearest town once we were at the campsite. So having that hybrid was awesome. I pay for gas and he'd drive on our day trips. We drive all day and I'd fill it back up for $5.

A Prius or some kind of electric is going to be my next vehicle. I'm sure I'll miss my Taco, but it is time for a change.

Steerforth

Friend of Leo's
Of course, we had a look at the Tundras during our scouting out the Toyota truck options.
It's a beefy looking truck but it was far more than we needed.
I found out later they are all automatics which surprised me.
I've often wondered about the miles per gallon on those V8 Tundras....I'm guessing about 8-10 m/per gallon...yikes!....unless I'm wrong?

That’s about what you get with a trailer behind you. Around town, you can get 13-14 MPG, and out on the highway around 17-18.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
Most threads don't live too long.... There are a few awesome legacy threads here on TDPRI, but the vast majority live out their short lives mostly on topic, and we all get to move on.

ADHD.

P.S. Nice truck!

Last edited:

bsman

Friend of Leo's
Hope your Tacoma truck doesn't have the same finish issues Tacoma acoustics did!!!!

o63cpwcbnszovgmtxglo.jpg

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
A buddy and I drive to a dark sky site for astrophotography about one per year (before the covid thing). I had my Taco and he had a Prius. I swear he could pack almost as much stuff in that little Prius, and that hybrid could boogie ... I don't think he let that thing get under 70mph very often.

It was 100 miles to the nearest town once we were at the campsite. So having that hybrid was awesome. I pay for gas and he'd drive on our day trips. We drive all day and I'd fill it back up for $5.

A Prius or some kind of electric is going to be my next vehicle. I'm sure I'll miss my Taco, but it is time for a change.

The Prius is awesome and I don't care what anyone else says. I looked recently and it seems they don't make the Prius C anymore, it was the tiny little one from a few years ago, that's the one I'd have. Anyway, I'm hoping I can enjoy this truck for a few years before I need something from the 21st century!

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Hope your Tacoma truck doesn't have the same finish issues Tacoma acoustics did!!!!

o63cpwcbnszovgmtxglo.jpg

Yikes! If my new truck paint delaminates, I'm gonna be PISSED! Does that Tacoma acoustic play like butter at least? :lol:

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
That’s about what you get with a trailer behind you. Around town, you can get 13-14 MPG, and out on the highway around 17-18.

That doesn't sound so bad considering my erroneous guess.
We get about the same with our V6.
But...since we moved to the 'heartland' everything we need is very close and I can't remember the last time we filled up.
We put very few miles on it since we moved here.

Have a great day all....

bsman

Friend of Leo's
Yikes! If my new truck paint delaminates, I'm gonna be PISSED! Does that Tacoma acoustic play like butter at least? :lol:

Got rid of mine (donated to local HS) years ago. Played fine, but bugged me every time I looked at it. I'm sure your truck will be fine!

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
My parents have never bought a non domestic brand vehicle
I have never bought a non domestic brand vehicle
My sons have never bought a non domestic brand vehicle

I'm not chest pounding, i'm simply making the statement.
I was like that for years until I blew my 3rd manifold something or other in gm. Known defect. I was upset.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

I drive a RAV4 Hybrid, but my wife just bought a Hyundai Kona Electric on Saturday. (The deal was sweetened with a $8,000 rebate and a $6,000 scap-it ticket for a 16-year-old Honda Fit.) The Kona is impressive.

If you've looking for the best of both worlds, check out he RAV4 plug-in hybrid.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Yeah I learned pretty quick over on that other forum. I've been stuck here for a little while too.

I gotta have 4WD here in Denver, but yours is the experience I'm looking forward to! Oddly enough I'm moving on from a Subaru Impreza, it isn't the right vehicle for me. A buddy had the turbo Forester for a couple years, it was a sick car!

I researched and shopped many brands and models before deciding on a Subaru Forester. We bought the dealer's loaner car with less than 2000 miles on it: due to pandemic supply chain issues they had NO new Foresters to sell.

It does most everything very well and is a thoughfully designed car. We've used the all-wheel drive only a few times, but I think it's cheap insurance for whatever snow and ice Lake Erie wants to dump on us in the Buffalo, NY area.

Subaru has come a long way. In the late '60s I saw a Subaru dealer's lot full of the 360 models. Those were little 2-door, bug-like cars with an air-cooled, 2-cylinder in the back. It was sort of Japan's version of the old Fiat 500s with their screaming 13 to 17 HP.

Last edited: